The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

30 posts Page 2 of 2
The TDEE that I use as a reference is 1270 although it is the lowest of them all and I won't go mad if I eat 100 calories over it. I think that my TDEE is around 1350, give or take 50 calories.
Although my official weigh in day is Wednesday, I noticed that during the above two weeks (Mon to Mon) I lost 1 kilo but my weight on Wednesdays was the same.
My weight goes up and down a lot and I think that constipation is to blame for that. I only "go" if I take a laxative but I can't do that everyday since their action is a bit unpredictable.
Makes sense! I think knowing this you should see slow weight loss. Crossing my fingers for you!
Thanks! At least it is weight loss...
I'm looking to find a way to fight constipation in a more natural way. That will help a lot, I think.
Perhaps I shall consider my dad's suggestion to walk barefoot and eat yoghurt that's left on the counter for 2 days (green yoghurt, according to him). ;-)
I'm so sorry Rufus, I can't add much to what has already been said. I know it is hard as you don't have much weight to lose but it is possible. I think you are right, the media portrayal of eating what you want is totally wrong. I didn't give up chocolate, cheese or red wine but certainly reduced my intake, as I have done on what I eat in the evenings now. I never ate fast food or drink soda so I didn't have those things to give up. To maintain weight I have to keep the reduction in food and drink and the things I like, keeping them more as treats, but it is worth it to be slim.
I'm sure it will be for you too, but in the meantime enjoy your glass of wine tonight!
Hey Rufus!
I've given this a lot of thought recently because my 25 year-old daughter, who never had to give a thought to how much or what she eats and was always on the slim side, has recently found herself overweight. She was a dancer, a college athlete, and very active. She's less active now. I never wanted her to get into the body-image issues so prevalent with young women, so I tried to always just stress eating healthy, wholesome food. So she's having to learn to negotiate the food thing.

I think most of us who were normal weight through our teens and early 20's just kept on eating in the same way while our bodies and our activity levels(possibly) changed. Although our bodies required fewer calories, we just kept eating the same, and little by little, our weight crept up. So, it only makes sense that if we keep on eating as we did in our 20's, we find ourselves "in deep doo-doo," to quote a former US president.

So for those of us in our 50's and 60's it's a whole new world. I agree with the other posters. Look at what you've been eating and dial it back a little. Instead of a whole pub sandwich, just eat a half with half as much beer. Get a little more active. You don't have to throw out the things you love--just make'em a tad smaller. And continue having fun!
I'm lucky that I'm as thin as I am given all the food I eat. I have a history of eating enormous portions of food. If one is good, what about another? And another? And another? It is very hard to cut back and simply enjoy a little of something, for example, half a beer. I've learned I can't have the food in front of me. I cannot be trusted to be left alone with a box of chocolates or a bag of chips. I will eat every last crumb, otherwise, it haunts me and calls to me from the kitchen. I'm trying to be good today, really seriously trying. Carrot sticks for snacks, and not the whole bag this time, just a bowl full with tea. Baby steps..
I lost most of my weight in the first 4 months. I had about 9kg to loose. I've lost about 7kg and would like to loose 2 more. The scales haven't done much since January but I have lost a couple of cm off my arms since I started the 30 day shred. I've now resigned myself to the fact that unless I eat less on my "feast" days I may not loose much more (bmi +-22)I love being able to eat well on feed days and would not be able to stay this weight if I wasn't on 5:2. so have decided that if I can stay this weight until August (I will have been on 5:2 for a year then!) that will be the first time I will have maintained this weight in the last 7 or so years while eating so well. So I will see where I am at in August (I'm hoping to loose inches)
Joan --

I think it is okay to lose weight, then stop for a bit, then lose some more. I mean, it is really kind of freaky watching your body shrink when you think about it. Almost scary. When you are ready to lose more weight you will. As for me, I am ready to lose more weight. It is a matter of eating more of the right foods (huge salads, loads of vegetables) and less of the bad (chocolate, crackers, bread, cheese).

I have decided to start weighing myself every day. I hate getting on the scale. It's like looking at my check book, always a horror, but it's important to stay aware, if you know what I mean.

Cheers,

Rufus (who is enjoying a few glasses of wine on her feed day)
My weight is now down 3.2 pounds in two days. Just goes to show you how crazy the water weight is and the fluctuations on this diet. Will continue to weigh everyday to get a grip on this trend.
Don't forget to keep us posted!
carorees wrote: No problem TML13

Look at the total calories you ate per week and divide by 7! If those weeks you have not gained/lost weight then that figure must be your current TDEE! If you take both weeks you quote, then the average for the two weeks is 1090 suggesting that is your current TDEE.

HTH

Thanks for the good advice . I have now calculated all my intake for 2 weeks when I have lost weight and divided with 7 so I guess this is my calorie - intake for loosing weight - with my thyroid-problem it will be in average about near 1100. I think it is a good way for me to find out where I am in a good position to loose weight.

Thanks a lot for explaining Caro :smile: I will try that for a couple of weeks..

Pia :smile:
Rufus wrote: Hi Rendafast,

Well, I guess there are a lot of us. I think seeing Mosley eat that hamburger on the show "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" gave false impressions. It does take a long, long time to learn how to diet and what to eat in order to lose weight. Once those bad habits set in, it is so very hard to reverse things. But I feel confident today that I am back in control. Today is a feed day not a feast day. I've been up since 5 a.m. I've had one smoothie (that's how I pack in the blueberries) and one hard boiled egg. Picked up some salmon and lots of veggies for lunch. No more junk food in the house. Might enjoy a glass of white wine tonight. Beautiful day outside.

Agreed, I have been a lot more circumspect this week, and although I weigh a bit more on the scale, I am fitting into clothes that were way too tight to even attempt wearing. Lesson learned, don't binge, but enjoy eating "normally" and don't get obsessed about the scale. Think I'm going to go for a monthly weigh in.
Fasting today: :starving:
Rendafast wrote: I was the same. I have decided that I was treating feed days as feast days, and not just indulging, but over indulging. I think the idea is to eat normally on non-fast days, but my tendency is to just let go. Learning the lessons slowly, and have such a slow metabolism (post smoking cessation) that I can't afford to mess around too much. Happy to just have a bit of a blow out over weekends.

My metabolism since quitting smoking 2 months ago has made my weight loss grind to a halt, it is extremely frustrating I have to say. :cry:
I haven't lost anything over the last few weeks either but I think Easter has throwme off track. Once I start binging then it becomes a habit. I am upping my exercise a little this week and trying to eat normal sized portions. Hopefully if I can get back on track the weight loss will begin again as I still have a lot to lose.
Im feeling with you today Joltek, I only started 1st April and lost a little over a pound a week even though ive got quite alot to lose. I know when I get on the scales tomorrow I wont have lost this week. I am worried that I too will start the binge type cycle. I felt those binge feelings this morning so i went out for a long walk, just got in and do feel a little better. Good Luck.
30 posts Page 2 of 2