The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Hi Carol. Welcome. I'm a pear too and only just moved into the healthy category. My weight loss is also slow which I think is an age thing more than anything else. I do watch what I eat on normal days as well as my loss stalls if I regularly eat over my TDEE. You can check yours by using the progress tracker. Good luck. :clover:
carorees wrote:
tickatape wrote: I was always a bit confused as to my body shape. I found a site were I put measurements in and it turns out I am a banana! (Rectangle) I had never heard of this one. I do have a waist so it seems I am somewhere between rectangle and hourglass! Interesting finding out which types of clothes I should wear now that now I have lost weight. Just need to get a bit taller! Any ideas?! :wink:

What is the difference between your hip and waist measurement, and hip and bust?

My hip and bust are about the same and my waist is 5 inches smaller. So I come in has a rectangle or straight but yet I have some shape (all be it a little - and as they say every little counts).
Ok, that's probably tending towards apple in terms of health...pear/hourglass is more like a 10 inch+ difference between waist and hips. But a 5 inch difference is better than no waist as you say!
Always thought I was apple but since losing weight my shape has changed and still changing. Enjoy clothes shopping now. Great to have some encouragement! 'B'
carorees wrote: On the whole, women who are pear shaped are less insulin resistant and this means they lose weight more easily than apple shapes, but men always beat women in the weight loss stakes.

Yes, for me. I am an apple, a slow loser and insulin resistant. But, to the women who are pears there can be lots of other reasons/factors that result in slow loss: hormones, age, thyroid, metabolism, inflammation, infection, immune system, allergies and probably some others that I'm leaving off the list.
I am also pear shaped but losing weight slowly with 16-8ing & 5:2ing but I have noticed on this WOE that I am losing weight much more evenly over all my body. As a previous yo yo dieter on other diets I have always lost weight first on my upper half & face with my heavier lower half taking much longer to shift weight. So I believe 5:2ing is much better for losing weight all over & not early on getting the scraggy face look :like:
This is a great question, I've often wondered why some people respond better/quicker to dieting than others. I'm inclined to agree with Debs and rawkaren that age and stature have an important impact (says the 40+ shorty :wink: )
Haven't checked in for a while. I have lost weight - at least 3 kg in 5 months (not sure exactly as I don't own scales) - so very happy now! I know from past experience that my body lags about 3 months behind any diet or exercise change so I just had to keep at it. Oh and I don't watch my weight at all on non-fast days, but I did decide to have a dry February just for the heck of it, so that may have contributed.

Anyway I don't know whether there's any link between body shape and pattern of weight loss ... but hey it's working now so all good. :-)

Actually I do have another body shape question - when I measure around my belly button my hip bones are in there too so I don't see how that measurement will ever be half my height, being a pear and all. Is that really where you're supposed to measure for the half-height thing? If I measure my actually waist then I pass the test.

Carol
I measure at the smallest point, a bit above my belly button.

Congrats on your weight loss!
there's a thread stickied in the resources section called "where to measure your waist" with diagrams and everything, but essentially it should be halfway between your belly button and your lowest rib.
25 posts Page 2 of 2