The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi - first time posting here. Husband and I have been doing this for 8 weeks now. He's losing weight - me, not so much. But I think it's ok because I know from experience that whenever I've taken up a new exercise program I don't see any effects for about 3 months. I've never been able to stick to a diet for more than a week but I imagine it's the same thing.

I'm a pear and the BMI puts me on the border between normal and overweight, though I always think it's a bit unfair towards those of us with solid thighs and muscley calves. And I do wonder - of those also seeing very slow weight loss - how many are female and pear shaped?

BTW I'm not restricting myself at all on feed days - just had PB on toast for breakfast. But it's kind of the whole point for me - wanting to be able to enjoy my food and drink without worry.

Carol
Hi Carol. Welcome to the forum!

I'm also pear shaped. I had no trouble losing weight at first, but I started much heavier than you. Now I'm down in healthy land, I plateau, and even gain, often. When I first started, I kept a food diary on nonfast days--I didn't count calories or weigh food, just wrote down what I ate.

Another thing that happened to many of us: after some time fasting 2-3 times a week, our appetites really changed. I don't want to eat as much on nonfast days. Sweets don't taste as nice. I think twice before I snack. I've had quite an attitude adjustment toward food. I still have sweets and pizza sometimes, but in general my diet is healthier and lighter than before.
I am also in the pear section of body shapes. And I do find it difficult to lose weight, but I am an avid exerciser, always have been. So I believe that I've got a bit more muscle , or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'd like to have a body scan, had one before, for a diabetes clinical trial a few years back. My body fat is about 38-41
Men lose faster than women because they have much more muscle than us and their is something to with testosterone as well.
On the whole, women who are pear shaped are less insulin resistant and this means they lose weight more easily than apple shapes, but men always beat women in the weight loss stakes.
I am apple shaped but also find it difficult to lose weight, and do so very slowly. I really struggle with it; I also wonder if being short also makes it harder for me, maybe my Eskimo ancestors wanted me to hold onto my fat in the winter?!!!
I am finding this easy to stick with for the long term though which makes all the difference, especially if you have a PB addiction like me :wink:

My hubby has also taken this up with a vengeance and the weight falls off him even though he doesn't really need it, his is for the heath benefits. Still, it doesn't help!!
I am convinced that it will happen though, just need to stick with it!
What is PB ... Scuse my ignorance

I was turning into an apple which hastened me to this WOE and my last couple of kgs are very hard to shed but I have a spare tyre to get rid of so I persist

Debs I think what has been programmed into our genes has a part to play as to how we famine effect and hence find it harder to shed on fasting. We that is my excuse and I am sticking with it

Good question banksia, all the best on this WOL
PB = Peanut butter, at least that's what it means to me. ;)
Yep, peanut butter. If I say PB I don't switch on the auto 'I must head for the jar' syndrome that afflicts me frequently!
I agree Gilly on the famine effect. I don't know if you saw the 'Truth about Fat' last night on SBS, interesting take on people not losing weight as they have found two hormones, one which dictates if you are full, and one which dictates if you are hungry. Some people, like the slim presenter (!) have their 'full' protein switched on so they can stop, whereas some, never achieve that 'full' feeling and consequently go on eating too much. I know in my case I don't have an off switch, whereas my OH does so I find fasting is a great antidote to that.
OK I guess it's gender more than body type then. I shall continue to be patient!
Hi and welcome:

It is not body type, it is the number of calories. This might help explain it: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6600.html

Good Luck!
and don't forget to measure! The tape measure can be kinder than the scales. :)
I was always a bit confused as to my body shape. I found a site were I put measurements in and it turns out I am a banana! (Rectangle) I had never heard of this one. I do have a waist so it seems I am somewhere between rectangle and hourglass! Interesting finding out which types of clothes I should wear now that now I have lost weight. Just need to get a bit taller! Any ideas?! :wink:
simcoeluv wrote: Hi and welcome:

It is not body type, it is the number of calories. This might help explain it: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6600.html

Good Luck!

Actually, the statistics done on our research questionnaire conducted in April indicate that body shape may have an impact on weightloss.
tickatape wrote: I was always a bit confused as to my body shape. I found a site were I put measurements in and it turns out I am a banana! (Rectangle) I had never heard of this one. I do have a waist so it seems I am somewhere between rectangle and hourglass! Interesting finding out which types of clothes I should wear now that now I have lost weight. Just need to get a bit taller! Any ideas?! :wink:

What is the difference between your hip and waist measurement, and hip and bust?
25 posts Page 1 of 2