The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Came across this article in the Australian press today: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 6995696656

Two different views on IF. Is it just me or does Amanda Sallis' positive response come out more believable than the nutritionist who hadn't actually tried fasting?!
Would like to know what the nutritionist means by,
At the end of the day, all you need to do to lose weight is to take 200 calories off the bottom line - it's not that complicated.
I really don't understand that line,no matter how many times i read it
Anybody got any thoughts on that sentence? :?:
I like Dr. Salis a lot. I read a couple of her books and she seems really sensible. It helps that it's personal for her, having tried and failed so very many diets before finally succeeding and becoming an obesity researcher.

The other person sounds like an unsympathetic idiot by comparison. That dietician doesn't sound like she's ever had a weight problem and just doesn't understand what people go through.
Exactly my thoughts..thanks for voicing them@Tracieknits!
I couldn't quite think how to express my reaction,but you did it for me
Baffled by the 200 cal remark tho ..a 1400 cal deficit p wk isnt gonna make much difference,or i have totally mis read that? :?:
You're quite right @CandiceMarie, as it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to 'lose' one pound of fat I can see many people giving up on her suggestion as it would takes ages to see any noticeable weight reduction .
well 200 calories would be a little less than half a pound a week. Maybe 300 grams. It's not a pace that would satisfy most people for sure, but it's probably very sustainable.

I think she's just really obtuse and has never actually needed to lose any serious amount of weight.
Well, it just goes to show how wrong an accredited nutritionist can be

Ballerina x :heart:
Thanks@Tracieknits & @Callyanna
It bears out what you said Tracie..she must have no idea how hard it is to lose weight and how many people would struggle longterm with her suggestion..it might be sensible to lose that slowly but it isnt realistic...specially if you have stones to lose...so demoralising.
And further to what @Ballerina says, sometimes accredited professionals can't really be credited with much compassion or a great deal of common sense :confused:
I also thought that the dietician seemed to have completely missed the point that the 500 calories were only on two days a week. She talks as if it is every day!
"I don't think people realise how limited they'll be eating only 500 calories a day on a 5:2 diet. It means no rolls, no wraps, no cereals, no dining out...

That definitely sounds like she thinks you do it everyday. No dining out for two days a week? Wow what a hardship.

Either way, anyone who's trying to carry out normal activities such as working, exercising, driving or operating machinery on 500 calories would find that they're very tired and a bit airy-fairy

I've been down the allotment today cutting the grass in the blazing heat, with only water to sustain me. I felt fine, certainly not 'airy fairy'.

A successful weight-loss program requires a complete lifestyle change, but all this to-ing and fro-ing on a fasting diet means that people are unlikely to change their relationship with food.

This last comment couldn't be more wrong if it tried. My eating habits have changed massively since I started this way of eating and from what I've read on this forum, I'm not alone in that.
What about Ramadan? Millions fast and are just fine from sunrise to sunset.
Just want to ask for you all to be extra careful if you just happen to be using a circular saw on fasting days ..i' d hate it if you felt a bit airy fairy while using it! :lol: :lol:
Lopping off limbs isnt the best way to lose weight :)
The dieticians I've met locally are seriously overweight, and their knowledge of anything that has been learned since they graduated college is nonexistent, as is their curiosity. But they compensate for this by being ridiculously emphatic.

Which is why people with diabetes at my local hospital are given a big serving of toast with jelly--no butter--and a tiny portion powdered egg whites for breakfast.
We have learned a lot from the experience of fasting and we do have the capacity to figure it out and yes it does mean no rolls etc. on fasting days. It was interesting to see the contrast in the debate having been a long term Faster and to understand how it feels and what it takes.

Am a big fan of Amanda so thanks for the link Caroline
That dietician wouldn't be getting my business or money! Depressing reading her, especially in light of actually living 5:2
27 posts Page 1 of 2