The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Butter or Margerine?
27 Jan 2015, 01:28
Butter.

Never tasted a margarine that isn't disgusting, and it has nothing good for you in it. Veggies, steamed, and with loads of butter melting in, just delicious. Plus of course all the breads etc. Makes a really big difference to baking too.
27 Jan 2015, 08:20
I use butter in cooking and baking (we only have 3 different brands in my super) but use "Bregott" for sandwhiches. It's a blend of butter and rape seed oil that make it a bit more spreadable. For frying etc I use good quality Italian oliva oil - because I'm worth it LOL.
Margarine - jus tthe word send shivers down my spine ;)
28 Jan 2015, 01:06
Well, I did it! I followed @Ssure's advice and made my own spreadable butter, although I couldn't help tinkering a little with her suggested proportions! I used one pack (250g) of softened butter and only 50g of cold pressed oil seed rape oil. I beat it together until thoroughly combined and it is delicious, although still a little too firm for spreading on very fresh bread! I may re-soften it and add more oil tomorrow - that will teach me to not follow other people's recommendations! :frown:
28 Jan 2015, 01:22
I love Aldi Butterfly butter when i need to spread it. Is it bad stuff?

Enjoying it now with my Irish tea cake made on the weekend (its a feast day)
28 Jan 2015, 02:49
@Juliana.Rivers if you like the taste, go for it (in moderation) and don't worry about whether it has bad stuff or not. You will find people arguing for and against EVERYTHING. Even Kale ;)
28 Jan 2015, 06:52
wait. isn't margarine just hydrogenated vegetable oil? I'm not saying that's good (it's trans fat and it's bad) but it's a far cry from petroleum and paint. I'm another one who grew up on margarine, but I don't mind the taste of butter. I actually can't really tell the difference.
28 Jan 2015, 09:02
StowgateResident wrote: I used one pack (250g) of softened butter and only 50g of cold pressed oil seed rape oil.
:) @StowgateResident -the proportions of yours are 5:1 butter:oil rather than approx. 2.3:1 so perhaps it's not too surprising that it doesn't spread well :) Lurkpak's current formula is 64:36 or 1.78:1 for the butter:oil (tho' the oil includes the water, salt, etc.). So, after softening/bringing to temperature, you'd need to whip/beat in another 150ml of oil which is approx. 125g of oil?

I hope it works out for you - if not, Delia would say you can use it in most cake recipes that call for butter.
28 Jan 2015, 17:05
StowgateResident wrote: Well, I did it! I followed @Ssure's advice and made my own spreadable butter, although I couldn't help tinkering a little with her suggested proportions! I used one pack (250g) of softened butter and only 50g of cold pressed oil seed rape oil. I beat it together until thoroughly combined and it is delicious, although still a little too firm for spreading on very fresh bread! I may re-soften it and add more oil tomorrow - that will teach me to not follow other people's recommendations! :frown:

I also prefer to eat butter & the President spreadable butter only has cream added to it to make it spreadable! I do eat it in moderation because of the high calories that all fats have but now avoid all low fat stuff with its many added sugars & additives!
28 Jan 2015, 17:33
Thanks for doing the maths for me, @SSure! :doh: The menfolk had it on their lunchtime sandwiches and didn't mind it at all. It spread reasonably well because I took it out of the fridge a little while before. I also used it to bake a cake ready for my son's birthday tomorrow and it worked well, so a win, win I think! :grin:
I wonder how the President spreadable butter works, if they use cream and not oil to make it softer? Mmmm, needs thinking about, maybe! :?: :?: :?:
28 Jan 2015, 17:41
I think it must be that cream at room temperature is softer than butter so makes it all softer? It tastes just the same as their solid butter & has a little salt in it.
25 Mar 2015, 12:19
Healthwise, spreadable butter like Lurpak slightly salted http://www.lurpak.com/au/our-products/# ... tly-salted or https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/aw ... blend-500/ where its mixed with canola or vegetable oils.

thats much worse for you than pure butter?.

i only eat the spreadable stuff on non fast days but got a renewed liking for it which i have realised i need to control
25 Mar 2015, 13:43
I heard that margarine is very dangerous for our health. So definitely butter)
42 posts Page 3 of 3