The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

45 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Coconut oil benefits
04 May 2013, 09:25
OT- Australia has a vitamin D deficiency problem, after a very effective sunscreen campaign. We do also have the highest skin cancer rate in the world.

There is some UV protection in coconut oil, so using it as sun screen isn't totally crazy.
04 May 2013, 11:24
I use organic virgin coconut oil from The Groovy Food Company

You can buy it in Tesco for approx £6 for a jar, if I remember right.
It's in the aisle with all the other cooking oils....surprisingly!

I have used it on my skin and hair also.
Re: Calories in salt
11 Jun 2013, 02:03
i didnt realise about the juries being out on saturated fat and salt.

On Sunday here in Australia theres a great radio program called Ockham's Razor.. talked about saturated fat in our diet, specifically in relation to Coconut oil

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... et/4735008

if you click the Show button next to word transcript you see the transcript. stupidly small link.

anyway ..

Moderators...
im thinking that there should be a special section in home page on things about specific foods.. especially with contravercy about good or bad effects on consumption. I guess it can just go in References section otherwise but thats a bit general
11 Jun 2013, 03:19
Once I switched to coconut fat for all my frying I use much less salt. Amazing to eat eggs without salt!
11 Jun 2013, 04:07
GoLinda wrote: Once I switched to coconut fat for all my frying I use much less salt. Amazing to eat eggs without salt!

Great idea! I plan to try it. :geek:
11 Jun 2013, 07:21
The link appears to be broken :-( (not your fault)...can you summarize what they said?
11 Jun 2013, 10:42
izzy wrote: Caroline, which link do you mean? They seem to work for me.

The ABC show link didn't work when I tried it from my phone, but seems to be OK from the PC...just going to read the transcript now...
11 Jun 2013, 11:00
Moved the coconut oil posts that were in the lo-salt thread to this one about #coconutoil!

Just read the transcript of the ABC interview. A lot of interesting stuff there. Also, I found in the comments some links to the research quoted by the speaker, which is somewhat reassuring (though highly likely to have been cherry-picked!).
11 Jun 2013, 11:15
Ha ha dhana hope your dream comes true
11 Jun 2013, 14:04
Can I ask about using it in coffee - how many calories does it have?
11 Jun 2013, 18:36
Hi dhana, I use it for loads of stuff, including oiling my horse's mane and tail! Its great to moisturise hands and lips but I have heard it is not good as a face cream (comogenic? sp?) so you may wish to just check that.
11 Jun 2013, 22:14
Mummybunny - same as any pure fat, 9 kcals per gramme I think. Just ordered some to try myself... Google Bulletproof Coffee for instructions on how to turn a drink into a meal..
12 Jun 2013, 03:54
My daughter was experiencing skin break outs and after a lot of research discovered dairy can often be the culprit. She eliminated dairy and her skin cleared up within days. Anyway, we use coconut oil in place of butter in almost all of our recipes.

Intresting note; she just returned from two weeks traveling in the UK and partook of dairy because of convenience. No break-outs. I had read the common breed of cows in the UK have something different (can't remember what) but apparently it must be true.
12 Jun 2013, 03:58
I have it out of the fridge in a chunk on a spoon. Reminds me of childhood and that I can be a sweet tooth.

Remember chocolate crackles, the dreaded trans fat copha and the lovely coconut, so when I have my spoonful it reminds me of yummy chocolate crackles :smile:
12 Jun 2013, 06:42
I remember growing up having coconut oil slathered all over my hair at least once a week. It has given me a thick lushious hair. Then I moved to the west and eventually found it again since its the rage. It now my summer moisturiser and I still oil my hair with it especially the scalp as it really helps with dandruff/itch issues.

As for cooking, we use a lot of coconut milk and I even get to drink pure coconut water albeit expensive in Norway. I cant gush enough of the items.

As for refrigeration, you do not need to do it. In the olden days of asia a fridge is not a common thing and we still have and use coconut oil. It is hotter and more humid and the oil stays fine and non rancid forever!
45 posts Page 3 of 3