The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

42 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Almost 4 fasts in.....
09 Feb 2014, 00:51
Tracieknits wrote: So glad you found something that's helping!

I certainly agree that fasting seems to have made me stronger. I've realized I'm stronger than I thought I was.

Yes @TracieknitsI'm loving seeing my strength in other parts of my life. I think it effects everything doing this self control. It's so refreshing to see a part of yourself growing, I'm ever so grateful to the research that's gone into fasting. Please god its got longevity for me.

I made it through the whole 6th fast. Sleep was average but marginally better. I hope tonight goes ok. That will permit me to go back to 5:2 if it goes well.
I had an unplanned carbie naughty this morning. I feel yuck after it. I know I will have to fight insulin surges now. (sighs). But I did do brilliantly yesterday so maybe it's just one off.

bye for now :clover: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
09 Feb 2014, 01:06
Oh, well done Jo!

I'm so pleased to read all about your triumphs - every fast day is a major achievement I think & you are just building upon them every time!

What I notice from being on this forum is that we all find out what suits us best...& it's never exactly the same as for the next person! We are all works in progress....and above all, we are also only human & will have the occasional "blip". What matters most is our commitment to ourselves & this wonderful new WOE/WOL that we have finally stumbled upon (as in, after numerous miserable diets) :frown:

Keep up the wonderful work, Jo, as it is really nice to share in your progress!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
09 Feb 2014, 01:13
The thing I love about this WOE is for me there is no more guilt associated around food. The food you ate wasn't naughty Jo. Its just food. The best bit is you recognised that you physically didn't feel good afterwards and that will educate you to your choices next time. Because my appetite has changed /reduced so much I usually only need 2 decent meals a day. When I eat I really enjoy the food if I'm hungry and I want it to be the highest quality. I said to my doctor how many women do you know can eat a piece of cake and experience no feelings of guilt? That's what this WOE does for me- no guilt with any food I eat. I'm 46 so after I'd say 32 years of guilt feelings to no longer experience this is absolutely liberating and freeing. I wish this for you Jo and everyone.
Wishing you all of my support on our journeys.
Xxx julianna
10 Feb 2014, 02:43
Hazelnut20 wrote: Oh, well done Jo!

I'm so pleased to read all about your triumphs - every fast day is a major achievement I think & you are just building upon them every time!

What I notice from being on this forum is that we all find out what suits us best...& it's never exactly the same as for the next person! We are all works in progress....and above all, we are also only human & will have the occasional "blip". What matters most is our commitment to ourselves & this wonderful new WOE/WOL that we have finally stumbled upon (as in, after numerous miserable diets) :frown:

Keep up the wonderful work, Jo, as it is really nice to share in your progress!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Thank you so much @Hazelnut20, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Your feedback reminds me I have triumphs! I try to tell friends about it, but they don't really understand the enormity of trying "yet again", and also doing something like fasting. It's kinda a strange process, which I'm thinking I'm liking now. (fingers crossed that does not change). I've decided to go yet another week on 6:1 even though I'm sure I can return to 5:2, just to be certain it will be ok.
It's one meal at a time, one walk at a time, but seeing how others have climbed many mountains successfully, it's so inspiring and keeps you trying. what on earth was I thinking trying to do this maze alone all these years.
good luck to you Hazel.
Thank you
Jo :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :heart: :heart: :heart:
10 Feb 2014, 02:47
julianna wrote: The thing I love about this WOE is for me there is no more guilt associated around food. The food you ate wasn't naughty Jo. Its just food. The best bit is you recognised that you physically didn't feel good afterwards and that will educate you to your choices next time. Because my appetite has changed /reduced so much I usually only need 2 decent meals a day. When I eat I really enjoy the food if I'm hungry and I want it to be the highest quality. I said to my doctor how many women do you know can eat a piece of cake and experience no feelings of guilt? That's what this WOE does for me- no guilt with any food I eat. I'm 46 so after I'd say 32 years of guilt feelings to no longer experience this is absolutely liberating and freeing. I wish this for you Jo and everyone.
Wishing you all of my support on our journeys.
Xxx julianna

I can't get over the sincerity and kindness in here. Your letter is so kind and lovely @julianna thank you so much. I liked you telling your doctor about the guilt free thing. I have actually been guilt free for a while as I've actually seen guilt as part of a vicious cycle. However since doing 5:2 and counting cals, I'm now a bit more conscious of them. But I like you helping me not go there. Your letter helped a lot actually. Thank you. I'm noticing changes in my appetite, and finding food to be extremely filling. So I'm looking forward to it adjusting more clearly.
So lovely to connect with you and all in here.
Jo :clover: :clover: :heart: :heart: :heart:
20 Feb 2014, 11:11
I'm happy with my progress on this 5.2 plan (6 or 7 fasts). I don't know if I've lost weight though I have discovered a few things.
1. I can fast. I can even enjoy fasting. I can handle hunger.
2. I can experiment with this process and try different things. I can settle for a mix of my own ideas and others.
3. I can go without bread for a couple days.
4. I can go without rice and pasta.
5. I can recognise when I'm early signs when I'm craving carbs and know in advance I need to do something to ward it off.
6. I can stick to the fast days as long as they are no stressful days.
7. Planning meals is essential
8. The day after a fast is a bit chaotic prepare for it.

:) :heart: :heart: :heart:
20 Feb 2014, 11:29
What a lot you've learned Jo! are you afraid of stepping on the scales yet or can you tell by the fit of your clothes whether you have lost any weight?
20 Feb 2014, 11:41
Thanks Cally. I stepped on the scales three weeks in, not knowing my original weight. Now its about 7 weeks gone. Clothes are not showing much change. But I've just been doing 6:1 for half the time.
I have a long journey ahead, I would like the satisfaction of a good reading on the scales, but I'm not pining hopes on it as I've only been managing 6:1. I weigh in on 5th March. :)
25 Feb 2014, 11:09
Back to 5:2 after a few weeks of 6:1.
Counting calories as priority on non fast days. I will look at carbs next. Been able to stick to cal count for 4 days.
Will tackle lowering carbs again soon.
They are around 100-150 gms.

Exercising more. I think extra sunlight is havîng good impact on other health factors.
Over and out.
:)
07 Mar 2014, 07:34
Trying to keep to the calorie totals for non-fast days as well as fast twice a week. The totals are always a few cals over - but some days I'm way under. Strange how variable it is.

I've been doing 6:1 mostly for the 8 weeks and did not weigh myself until 4 weeks ago. So I actually don't know how much I've lost in total.
But I have lost 2 kilos in the last month. It dropped my BMI by .7%.
So that looks like a pound a week.
I've set my interim weight loss at 10% of what I was when i started and that's what I will aim for to start with.

Bananas are currently in the house and I'm finding I'm eating them after not touching them for years. I hope they aren't triggering me into sugar cravings. I'm having one a day.

The fasts seem to be going well since introducing 5:2 back in last week. Sleep is rotten still. Next week going to introduce 3 walks again.
See if I can do it all.

green tea and water seem to be habits going over to non fast days, as is thinking about cals. I do allow myself to have what i want on a menu but i count cals - which means i go easy at other meals. It's working the mix I have at the moment - but nervous sugar will creep in.
I'm craving it now and then, and only caving in now and then.

xx
07 Mar 2014, 08:35
Hi jo you're still working very hard at this and tailoring it as you go along x well done on your fasts and getting yr BMI down!
Bananas are great as full of potassium and totally untouched by processing but i only have them on non fast days and not on every nonfast day,as i have learnt to eat less fruit but up my green veg! Having said that,obviously an apple,pear or handful of berries are a much better option than a cream cake! Its all relative isn't it and everything ok in moderation. So just be cautious saying " see if i can do it all"... Don't put too much pressure on yourself...One baby step at a time!
Sorry about the lack of sleep..me too..some things work some nights..such as taking magnesium,trying Bach sleep spray, a milky drink before bedtime,getting plenty of fresh air in the daytime to knock yourself out!
Good luck on yr journey and keep us posted! X :clover: :like:
07 Mar 2014, 10:07
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi jo you're still working very hard at this and tailoring it as you go along x well done on your fasts and getting yr BMI down!
Bananas are great as full of potassium and totally untouched by processing but i only have them on non fast days and not on every nonfast day,as i have learnt to eat less fruit but up my green veg! Having said that,obviously an apple,pear or handful of berries are a much better option than a cream cake! Its all relative isn't it and everything ok in moderation. So just be cautious saying " see if i can do it all"... Don't put too much pressure on yourself...One baby step at a time!
Sorry about the lack of sleep..me too..some things work some nights..such as taking magnesium,trying Bach sleep spray, a milky drink before bedtime,getting plenty of fresh air in the daytime to knock yourself out!
Good luck on yr journey and keep us posted! X :clover: :like:

Thanks so much @CandiceMarie, your words are encouraging.
I will enjoy lower sugar fruit for a while, and I have been working hard on this program. It's great to finally see it's working!
I think I'm already taking magnesium, I will try getting more fresh air as you suggest.
Good luck to you too and thanks for the support.
Jo x
07 Mar 2014, 10:23
Oh like your new avatar it looks like cradle lake beside cradle mountain

It sure is the way to go all the best
07 Mar 2014, 11:47
Funny you should mention cradle mountain, @gillymary (Jo's one looks like a bigger mountain?) - I got married on the shores of Dove Lake under Cradle Mountain, in 1988. Then when I got divorced in 2002, I happened to be there again, and I threw my wedding ring into the lake - not in bitterness, but with a sense of completing the circle. The ex and I are generally good mates still, although we live very different lives, just been out with him & our boys (men, actually) for dinner for my birthday. Another coincidence!

Sorry to take over your string, Jo!
07 Mar 2014, 18:43
I think Dove lake is one of the most beautiful places I have been too, wow , to what you did there that was deeply symbolic and like that. I hope you don't mind either @Jo05 so you must tell do you know where your mountain is as is beautiful
42 posts Page 2 of 3