The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

42 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Restart
24 Sep 2014, 08:27
Well done @Catscratch On the exercise session and on getting your details up there for all to see this i found to be an extra motivational factor well was for me anyway.
Your fasting journey will be a long one just like mine because at my start my bmi was over 44!!! weighing in at 19stone at that stage I couldn't have exercised to save my life however I started small walks on each of my fastdays and doing 4:3 from day one simply because of the weight needing to shift and because I found the fastdays very easy + yes enjoyable.
Best of luck to you I'll be here to keep you company on your journey and will check out that link above as lots of my fastday meals have become meat free as veggies are more filling. :clover: Sue
24 Sep 2014, 17:24
Thank you Sue. It took a huge effort to keep going through the exercise session, I was clinging on by my fingernails. I am also making a point of walking my dogs every day. We have a huge garden and had gotten into the habit of just using a ball thrower to run them ragged - not much exercise for us though!

You are right about being into this for the long haul. I figure that around 6 stone should bring me into a healthy BMI and a size 14 - I'd be happy with that. The Stats that are up on the left are old ones, from my first time around, I'm not sure what to do about them whether to wait until my weight gets back down to that level again, or to ask Moogie if I can somehow start again.
I'm enjoying eating vegan. It's got me interested in cooking again. I'm paying attention to my protein intake everyday and supplementing B12, I eat from a huge range of fruit, veg and salad and as you say you can really fill up on veggies.
24 Sep 2014, 17:26
I forgot to say - Fast Day today!!
Was busy at my Quilting group so hardly gave food a second thought. I even baked potatoes for the other ladies and served them up at lunchtime!
25 Sep 2014, 18:42
Went out for lunch today, I almost cancelled and then thought that would be silly I just have to show a little self control. I did say that when I started trying to eat vegan that I would make an exception of meals out, as it is virtually impossible to order off a menu and not eat part of an animal. Vegetarian options are usually swimming in cream or smothered in cheese. But the place we went to today had a 'veggie burger' that to all intents and purposes was a regular burger with the meat pattie swapped out for a portobello mushroom. It was lovely and didn't require any special ordering. I did skip dessert but that meant I had enough calories left for some tomato sandwiches for tea tonight. Crisis averted!!
25 Sep 2014, 19:17
Hi @Catscratch - glad you are doing well.

Just an observation (and sorry - you probably don't even need this pointing out) - a burger and a sandwich is quite a lot of carbs - not ideal if you want to shift weight a bit more quickly, even if you are within your TDEE.

Not intending to offend, just aiming to assist!

:like: :like: :clover: :clover:
25 Sep 2014, 20:06
Hi @Catscratch, I think I probably eat quite similarly to you, 99% vegan at home, and the odd meal out where I revert to vegetarian if needs be. I pretty much always cook from scratch and tonight (a fast day) I adapted a Jamie Oliver curry recipe which was supposed to have chicken thighs in but I just added more veg and swapped yoghurt for coconut milk, all in all it was delicious and I even got my two kids to eat it!!!
Anyway sounds like you've got off to a flying start, I'll follow your progress with interest!
25 Sep 2014, 20:08
Hello from me too. I also live nearish to you. @Madcatlady and I meet up often and we do go on road trips to see others aswell.
One question....,,why are you eating vegan, but not when you eat out? Just being nosey as all, I work with a vegan, and he is always giving me cakes he's not allowed to eat whichthe kids in our school bring to him.
And like maddy says that's a lot of carbzzz.
25 Sep 2014, 20:25
Not at all offended. The menu wasn't extensive. It was amazing to find something on a restaurant menu that enabled me to stay reasonably vegan.
I take your point about the sarnies tho'. I do have a soft spot for a nice tomato sarnie.
25 Sep 2014, 20:28
Hi Nicky,
Good to know there is someone else here doing the vegan thing.

Thank you for the coconut milk tip. I do like a curry and so do the rest of the family. I'll check out some recipes for suitable swaps. I suppose it would lend itself more to Thai flavours?
25 Sep 2014, 20:38
Hiya Carieoates,

I do try to eat Vegan all of the time, it's just that I've found it virtually impossible to eat out and remain true. So I've just decided to compromise and let things slip a little when choosing from a menu, if I didn't I'd never go out and eat. I eat vegan mostly for health reasons so I figure that 90% + compliance is OK.
25 Sep 2014, 20:54
Catscratch wrote: Thank you Sue. It took a huge effort to keep going through the exercise session, I was clinging on by my fingernails. I am also making a point of walking my dogs every day. We have a huge garden and had gotten into the habit of just using a ball thrower to run them ragged - not much exercise for us though!

You are right about being into this for the long haul. I figure that around 6 stone should bring me into a healthy BMI and a size 14 - I'd be happy with that. The Stats that are up on the left are old ones, from my first time around, I'm not sure what to do about them whether to wait until my weight gets back down to that level again, or to ask Moogie if I can somehow start again.
I'm enjoying eating vegan. It's got me interested in cooking again. I'm paying attention to my protein intake everyday and supplementing B12, I eat from a huge range of fruit, veg and salad and as you say you can really fill up on veggies.

Maybe @Moogie can sort this out for you scratchy. :heart:
25 Sep 2014, 21:59
Depends how much you use-the recipe I did today involved a couple of spoons of cream which I swapped for coconut milk and the end result wasn't at all coconutty-it was just creamy, but there were a lot of other things in the sauce. If you use a lot though it does become more of a thai curry.
25 Sep 2014, 22:33
Catscratch wrote: Thank you for the coconut milk tip. I do like a curry and so do the rest of the family. I'll check out some recipes for suitable swaps. I suppose it would lend itself more to Thai flavours?
South Indian curries can contain coconut milk. Gudjerati dishes have coconut or coconut milk quite often and they're delightful.
28 Sep 2014, 16:50
I had a grocery delivery this morning and included 4 tins of coconut milk. So I shall be experimenting!

I also had a veggie spiralizer delivered from amazon as I thought I'd give courgette spaghetti a try. Had it for tea tonight with a bolognaise and it was lovely. I just steamed the courgette for 5 mins and it was perfect. I was worried that it might be a bit soggy but to me it tasted just like pasta and for about a quarter of the calories. Some of the strands were almost 2 feet long and it held together well whilst being twirled on my fork. Isn't it nice when a plan works out?
30 Sep 2014, 16:09
First week completed and slimming club this morning i showed a 7lb loss! Thrilled with that, as this last week included Macmillan coffee morning and two lunches out. I came home with a certificate for slimmer of the week. and made a lovely long red line on my graph.
42 posts Page 2 of 3