The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

42 posts Page 1 of 3
Restart
21 Sep 2014, 17:01
How time flies! It is about 18 months since I was last here and doing really well. Out of nowhere I just fell off the wagon. It transpires that the menopause crept up on me and caused me a few problems - cravings, tiredness and the like.
So I have gathered myself together and am ready to have another go. I got an email from Moogie and just out of curiosity revisited the site and have gotten all enthusiastic again. I've decided to enter the Christmas challenge to give myself a starter boost.

Big difference this time is that I am now trying to eat mostly Vegan. :shock: I have been completely vegan in the past and with two confirmed carnivores in the house found it impossible to maintain. So I am compromising and so are they and we are all eating tons more fruit, veg and salad. It does involve a fair bit of work on my part - finding suitable adaptable recipes but I have cookery books coming out of my ears and now the enthusiasm to use them. So I have to find some recipes that I can eat as a main meal and that they can have as a side to meat. They have agreed to give the Veggie meals a go too.
I'll figure it out! Wish me luck!
Re: Restart
21 Sep 2014, 17:38
Hello there, @Catscratch and :like: for surviving the menopause and gathering yourself together sufficiently to take stock and return to a fasting WOL that suits you.

It's my completely unscientific observation from a number of IF forums that although people sometimes stray from fasting, if they return and re-start with a good, sound plan, there's no reason to suppose that they won't be able to succeed with it after the re-boot.

As for the vegan WOE - there seem to be a number of popular recipes in FatDog's low carb vegetarian thread that also seemed to adopt the, 'good for vegans/vegetarians whilst being popular mains or side-dishes for carnivores' approach.

progress-f4/topic6427.html

Did you post regularly in the 'Fasting Today' threads last time when you were successful? If so, do you plan on doing it again?

Good luck on integrating fasting and a vegan WOE into your life. :clover:
21 Sep 2014, 18:32
Thanks for the link to Fatdogs posts. There are 45 pages of them but I'll have a study. Any tried and tested recipes are very welcome.
I did post regularly last time and found the support really helpful. Literary fistbumps! The energy on this site is catching.

Early days on the Vegan thing but I'm getting a lot more support this time from my husband and son they are even trying some of my concoctions - the looks on their faces are priceless. I can't understand people who don't like veg.
21 Sep 2014, 18:33
Good luck on your journey @catscratch! X
21 Sep 2014, 19:53
Welcome back @catscratch The new site is fab and full of a great amount of recipes so have a good read around.
Good luck with your second attempt I'm sure now you've got a reason for all your problems you'll soon start to lose some weight again , and yes just in time for the Christmas challenge.
My springing into fall challenge is now looking very doubtful with only one week remaining so I need to pull my socks
up big time.
Keep forum motivated and do let us all know how things are going for you with your fasting journey. :clover: :clover: Sue
22 Sep 2014, 18:58
Thank you for all the welcomes ladies!

First fast day today and can't believe how easily things have gone. I've stuck to having all of my calories in an evening meal. Husband and son had fajitas and I finished up a mediterranean green lentil loaf with some grilled tomatoes and asparagus. I came in later than normal after a sewing class this afternoon. Pots, pans and bowls everywhere but it all got sorted in the end.
I have slimming club tomorrow, it's a class I like, a nice bunch of women and a good workout. The club used to be Rosemary Conley but since she's gone bust the lady that runs it allows members to follow their own diet and there is support for 5:2. This is the only time I weigh throughout the week. I like to limit weigh-ins, it's too much of an emotional roller coaster otherwise. The club are running a 'christmas challenge' so with that one and the one on the forum I should have incentive to keep focused.
22 Sep 2014, 20:34
Hi Catscratch - welcome from me too - I've fallen off the wagon and got back on so you're in good company! Didn't know RC had gone bust - only wondered about that the other day for some reason! See you are in Norfolk - we in the East here have the occasional meet-up if you are interested (definitely not on a fast day though from previous experience! Onwards and downwards!
22 Sep 2014, 22:40
Welcome back! I hope you have lots of luck with 5:2 and with going vegan. It's tough cooking different meals each night, so it's nice they're cooperating a bit :-)
22 Sep 2014, 23:38
Welcome back @catscratch - I'm just past menopause and all has been fine, so hope you have an easier journey ahead. Look forward to hearing of your successful concoctions. :lol: :lol: :lol:
23 Sep 2014, 00:05
Welcome back Catscratch and hope the comraderie you are offered in the Christmas challenge team will help you refocus. You never know what you might achieve by Christmas and with your right "frame of mind" it could be better than expected!
23 Sep 2014, 18:01
Went to Slimming club this morning and got my start weight, 18st 4lbs, not shocked just determined to reduce from here. The real shock came when it was time to do the workout. I couldn't believe how unfit I was and how hard it was to keep moving. But I did, gritted my teeth and hung on in to the end. Feel really enthused now to have a good week and get a good result next weigh-in. The christmas challenge at the club has a first prize of a soupmaker, don't know if I'd use it but it's something to add a bit of energy to the struggle! I came home and got out graph paper and did a chart for me to fill in with each weeks losses. I drew two lines on the paper that averages a 2lb and a 3lb a week loss. Hoping I can stay between those lines. I'm starting out so heavy that I don't think that's being too unrealistic - up until Christmas anyway. Juliana - I am in a 'Christmas Challenge' frame of mind - only 13 weeks to go! Eeeeek, really? I'd better start thinking about getting some prezzies.

For tea tonight we had a Supergreen Quinoa salad (quinoa, avocado, soybeans, peas, asparagus, spring onions, fresh herbs and cumin. And a Smokey black bean and nut burger. Very filling and probably about 9 of my 'five-a-day' altogether. Bonus was my husband actually quite liked it!!

Madcatlady I would love to come to a 'meet-up' if I can. I live quite close to Great Yarmouth so almost as far East as you can get. Let me know about the next one please.
23 Sep 2014, 18:09
Funny how similar some of us are - I have a chart of how long it will take to get to my target based on 1lb/week, 1.5lb and 2lb - maybe I shouldn't but it motivates me :oops:

Well done on the exercise - I had to push myself to keep going last night.
23 Sep 2014, 18:15
Yep, I was a bit worried that I was setting myself up to fail. But I like having it up on the wall, I find it very motivating. I feel that I've really got the bit between my teeth and I'm going to make the most of it. I can always extend it later and have a 1-2lb/week target for when things settle down.
24 Sep 2014, 03:05
Catscratch wrote: The christmas challenge at the club has a first prize of a soupmaker, don't know if I'd use it but it's something to add a bit of energy to the struggle! I came home and got out graph paper and did a chart for me to fill in with each weeks losses. I drew two lines on the paper that averages a 2lb and a 3lb a week loss. Hoping I can stay between those lines. I'm starting out so heavy that I don't think that's being too unrealistic - up until Christmas anyway. Juliana - I am in a 'Christmas Challenge' frame of mind - only 13 weeks to go! Eeeeek, really? I'd better start thinking about getting some prezzies.

For tea tonight we had a Supergreen Quinoa salad (quinoa, avocado, soybeans, peas, asparagus, spring onions, fresh herbs and cumin. And a Smokey black bean and nut burger. Very filling and probably about 9 of my 'five-a-day' altogether. Bonus was my husband actually quite liked it!!

Madcatlady I would love to come to a 'meet-up' if I can. I live quite close to Great Yarmouth so almost as far East as you can get. Let me know about the next one please.

Soupmakers are good, I hear. Though personally, my pressure cooker saved my life and i can cook up a soup and have it ready in 20 minutes (after the vege prep is done)

that Quinoa salad sounds great.

the beanburger sounds good too. only yesterday i got this on my facebook... http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014 ... an-burger/

love Ree's food site. so many beautiful pics of the prep

yes 13 weeks. im afraid i do all my shopping in last week.. or 10 days if im lucky. Not good i know but im just never in the mood till then.

keep it going!
24 Sep 2014, 07:58
Thanks for that link Juliana. It's a lovely site. Lots of photos. I got a little mesmerised scanning through the recipes, salivating, and then thought 'this is a really stupid thing to do on a Fast Day'. LOL
I will go back later and check it out properly.
42 posts Page 1 of 3