The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Re: kencc's log
04 Mar 2013, 11:05
That's fascinating. Particularly the fact that the actual weight and the trendline only agree on two occasions! When you add new observations does the trendline update historically too? I mean if the next weighings continue to show a bigger loss will the trendline move down so that maybe different weighings agree with the line?

Does the app work if you weigh less frequently than daily?
04 Mar 2013, 13:11
I love the graph of emotional responses to weigh ins! :lol:
11 Mar 2013, 08:24
This is fab. :-)
18 Mar 2013, 17:47
I'm totally with you on this kencc. I don't necessarily recommend everyone to do daily weigh ins, but I think it's important to illustrate to others who appear not to be losing anything, that actually they probably are losing small amounts (<1 lb/wk) but are just not seeing the whole picture. I'm on week 9 now and will probably post a similar weight this Wednesday versus last Wednesday, indicating a plateau; however, I know that on Saturday, the scales were the lowest I've seen them since mid Jan, so I know something is going on. I think with this kind of plan you are likely to see a much greater weight fluctuation versus other diets, which serial dieters (you know who you are :)) are not used to.
24 Mar 2013, 09:37
Very useful analysis there Kencc...all those not losing weight should have a look at your graphs!

How did you post the libra graph on here btw? I'm using the app since you pointed it out to me and so it would be useful to know how to post sections of the graph!
24 Mar 2013, 15:49
It's on a Samsung Galaxy S2 so should be able to do a screen shot...I just can't remember how! I'll google it!
01 Apr 2013, 07:53
That is fascinating! Well done for keeping the long term view in sight.
17 Apr 2013, 20:54
Hi kencc,
Thanks for sharing all these graphs and for telling us about the Libra app. I've got it set to a trend and a goal. Its very positive to see the downwards trend when the inevitable blips happen.
06 May 2013, 09:09
'you're getting a bit gaunt and beginning to look your age' !!! Some friend - green eyed monster maybe? I love your charts by the way - I'm trying fat watch on my ipad but having some trouble with it.
06 May 2013, 16:13
Thanks kencc I've got access to some software that includes charts so I'm going to have a go at building my own. I don't know much about charts so it will do me good to learn.
11 Jun 2013, 07:16
Great stuff! Well done for (almost) teaching your target. Interesting how your wife's chat shows a nearly 3lb variation during maintenance. I see her trendline wobbles up and down...did she respond to the ups and downs by varying her intake our just go with the flow?
11 Jun 2013, 11:21
I think it's worth emphasizing for everyone that one's scale weight can vary by 3lb without it meaning any change in one's true weight...too much angst from small increases is being created by people not truly believing that water retention etc is behind most of the variation!

Perhaps we should have a thread with everyone who uses a trending app posting their weigh-ins so people can see for themselves how much variation is normal!
17 Jun 2013, 09:53
kencc wrote: I suggest that this recommendation needs to be re-visited - in my opinion weekly weigh-ins are the most inaccurate you can get ...

Can I just add my support to this point. 5:2 has been working great for me but what has really turned weight-loss around for me (after about 10 years of needing to but never quite managing to keep the weight off) is the use of Daily Weigh-ins, the Libra app, and the principles of the Hacker's Diet.

For me 5:2 is a means towards my weight loss but the daily weigh-in and the use of apps and spreadsheets is the method. it keeps me focused and interested in the task and the trendline is always there to cushion the disappointment of the occasional 1 or 2 days of weight gain.

And this is the point. You can trend on weekly weigh-in data but it's not going to be as accurate, it's going to take longer to establish a meaningful trend and the daily data helps you understand your body's natural fluctuations across the course of a week - many of them easily accountable due to your eating/drinking/exercise habits.

I'd just like to thank you personally, Kencc, as it has been your Journal that has turned me on to this new way to thinking about and dealing with my weight. If I hadn't read you posts, downloaded Libra and started standing on the scales every morning then the 5:2 diet would probably have gone the same way as many others before it. This thread has truly been an inspiration!
18 Jun 2013, 20:03
Just to say I agree with Hugh_Jarse ( :oops: ) and ken about the daily weighing. I have never really been that bothered with weighing but info from this forum made me give daily weighing a try - and it has been really positive for me to see a trend because i do fluctuate a lot and lose weight slowly over time. As Caroline says, you when you put on 3lbs overnight it can't really be all fat! Also, a BIG THANKS to Moogie for putting that trend line on the tracker - I LOVE IT :grin: Makes my weightloss look really dynamic!!!
16 Jul 2013, 09:20
carorees wrote: I think it's worth emphasizing for everyone that one's scale weight can vary by 3lb without it meaning any change in one's true weight...too much angst from small increases is being created by people not truly believing that water retention etc is behind most of the variation!

Perhaps we should have a thread with everyone who uses a trending app posting their weigh-ins so people can see for themselves how much variation is normal!

I'm quite happy to show my charts, if it helps? I have big variations between days, can be up to 1.4 kg, depending on who much Crossfit, not drinking enough fluids and eating chips I've done...

However, since they updated Libra I can't see how to export my chart. Anyone know how to now?

Well done Ken, inspirational as ever!
21 posts Page 1 of 2