The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

33 posts Page 1 of 3
Finding my path
28 Mar 2013, 21:32
Like many people, I have tried almost every diet plan known to man. Some do work to a degree, but I have found it almost impossible to keep them up as a way of life. I can't see myself "never having dairy", or "never eating bread/pasta" or "never enjoying a piece of chocolate". I just know there has to be a way of eating that actually works and that I can live with.

I saw the 5:2 plan two weeks ago on Good Morning America. It made sense to me. It actually looked like something that was "doable". I looked it up, did a lot of reading and just recently purchased Dr. M's book. Finally, a way of eating that has NO major calorie counting, NO heavy precooking, NO weighing of food, NO eating every 2 hours and having to tote a cooler with you just to keep your food in it.

I started my first fast the very next day. That first week went ok. I didn't weigh or measure that week, I wanted to give it a full 2 weeks to see if there was a change. Tomorrow will be my first weigh in. I'm kinda anxious to see my results.

I hope to lose a pound a week, but being that I am Hypo, it may be a struggle to lose that much. But any loss would be wonderful. I weigh 296. My big goal is to get to 150, but I want to get to 250 first and go on from there.

I've had some health problems over the last year. Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and severe Anemia in Jan of last year. Then diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in Oct. I've just recently had surgery (hysterectomy), so that should help tremendously with my Anemia. My Hgb and Ferritin was so low, it's a wonder I could get around at all. I was actually bleeding to death every month. I'm still on exercise restrictions from surgery, but you wouldn't believe how much more energy I already have. I had forgotten what it felt like to even have energy.

I believe I have found my path to health. Only time will tell.
Re: Finding my path
28 Mar 2013, 21:49
Gaitless, we have many similar health problems and I admire your courage and strength! Good luck with your journey with 5:2 and best of luck with your weigh in tomorrow.
Keep us posted, please!!!
28 Mar 2013, 21:53
Hi Gaitless,

Welcome to our little band of weight warriors, I hope your weigh in tomorrow is a good one but don't forget that a lot of people lose inches rather than pounds in the initial stages.

Good luck,

Ballerina x
28 Mar 2013, 22:00
Hello, gaitless. I sincerely hope that the 5:2 WOE works for you. It certainly is working for me and my husband - without either of us taking any exercise worth mentioning!. It sounds as if you are approaching it in a very thoughtful and sensible way and I shall keep my fingers crossed that tomorrow your scales show a loss. Even if they don't, please stick with it as it will be worth it in the long run!
28 Mar 2013, 22:10
izzy ~ yes, I was on MTX (methotrexate, injectable) for about 8 weeks. I had to stop taking that about 3 weeks before surgery. I go back for my 2nd post-op in 2 weeks. If everything has healed, then I can restart the MTX. So far I've been lucky. I've only starting feeling the RA slowly returning. More stiffness in the morning and I do have hip pain when I go for my walks. I find that if I stop and take a couple minutes, then I can continue without any major pain.

TML13 ~ Thank you! I will definitely keep this post update with my results. Hopefully this plan can help both of us get our health back on the right track.

Ballerina ~ You are so right! I did my measurements before starting. I took my waist, hip and bust measurements. I want my waist to shrink, but I also want my other two parts to shrink! I want to get back into riding, and nothing worse than getting black eyes when you trot! :wink:

StowgateResident ~ Thank you so much for the well wishes! It's nice to know that others are just as anxious for my weigh in as I am. I think once the first one is over, it will get easier. I know there will be weeks that I don't lose or even gain, but overall I hope that it evens out and that I do eventually lose my poundage.

Today was my 4th fast day. I had coffee this morning, and water the rest of the day. Waiting for my DH to get home to have some homemade vegetable beef soup. He is doing the plan with me, but sometimes I think it's harder for him than it is me. He is such a baby! He doesn't know if he can do without his Hershey Kisses 2 x a week! hehe
29 Mar 2013, 11:17
Today was my 2 week weigh in. I was very surprised at the outcome.

Start weight: 296 lbs
2 weeks on plan: 289 lbs
Loss/gain: 7 lb loss!!!

Wast Measurement: 52"
2 weeks on plan: 51"
Loss/gain: 1" (also lost an inch on my hips and bust) :grin:

What really surprises me is that I had this loss without any major restrictions on the way I eat. I find that since I have been doing the 5:2 plan, that I actually think about what I'm about to eat. I think "do I really want that?" most of the time I pick a better choice.

This loss was also achieved with very little exercise. I had started back to walking after my surgery, but was laid up for a couple weeks with a bad cold/cough. So I'm just now getting back to walking.
29 Mar 2013, 11:19
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU, GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
29 Mar 2013, 12:54
That is wonderful, well done Gaitless! Keep it up, you can do it xx
29 Mar 2013, 18:09
Fantastic results gaitless. Congratulations on your first half stone loss.
29 Mar 2013, 18:20
Thank you so much for your support. I think the first weigh in is almost stressful. I'm just glad it's out of the way!
29 Mar 2013, 18:25
I like the title of your post. "Finding my path." Looks like that has happened. Congradulations!
29 Mar 2013, 18:32
Congratulation! Excellent first week! Seven whole pounds gone and with lots of things in your life which could have slowed that loss down!

Without wanting to sound like a killjoy, pleeeeease be mentally prepared for a week when you don't lose, or even gain some of your weight back! It doesn't happen to everyone, but I have read many posts on here where people are so disappointed when, despite being 'good' all week, they don't lose as much as they were hoping for. In the dim and distant past I have felt that myself and all to often it turns into a mammoth binge out of sheer frustration! Luckily, I have got over that and am now much more philosophical about the whole weight-loss thing but I am so sorry for those people who just can't cope with that disappointment and I would hate that to happen to you.

Anyway, onward and downward (weight not spirits)! Dinner to prepare, ironing to do and nothing to watch on TV while I do it! At least it will keep me from eating all the grandchildren's chocolate eggs! (Only joking - of course I wouldn't do that!)

Good luck for the forthcoming week. Happy Easter everyone!
29 Mar 2013, 18:46
Well done Gaitless a good start and I think it does get easier as you go along
29 Mar 2013, 20:49
Well done Gaitless. Half a stone is huge and it is brilliant that you found it so easy - bodes well for the future!
I have the attitude that all my extra weight is actually a bonus at the moment because every effort I make to exercise is repaid with tons of calories burned off.
Like you what I love about this WOE is that I just feel sure I'll be able to do it long term because it's so flexible, and I can still eat my favourite foods most of the time.
I actually quite enjoy the challenge of a fast day and the feeling of giving my system a rest.
We're gonna do Good!!!!!!
30 Mar 2013, 01:52
StowgateResident ~ Not a killjoy. Your just reminding me (and everyone reading) that it can/may not be so easy with other weigh ins. I know I won't lose every week, but as long as my progress is heading down, it's all good. :smile:

Carol ~ Thank you! I think this is one of the easiest plans I have seen/been on. There are not a lot of rules that you have to eat by. It just basically makes sense.

Catscratch wrote: I have the attitude that all my extra weight is actually a bonus at the moment because every effort I make to exercise is repaid with tons of calories burned off.
We're gonna do Good!!!!!!

I agree! Us "big girls" need a break somewhere! I think of people who jog/run/walk with extra weights, we have "extra" weights all day long! It's been so long since I've been at a normal weight, I really don't remember how it feels.

izzy ~ I'll be glad when mine starts crying. I have to wait until I'm off exercise restrictions, but I can't wait to get started.

It's a double holiday weekend for our house. Easter on Sunday and DH's and my anniversary. Plan on going out to eat tomorrow afternoon, and probably cook on the grill for Sunday. Colored Easter eggs today with my granddaughter. She had a blast making a mess. I think she got more color on her fingers than on the eggs.
33 posts Page 1 of 3