The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Basics of nutrition
14 Jun 2014, 14:41
I have just uploaded my article on the basics of nutrition to the main site: https://www.fastday.com/fasting/the-bas ... hy-eating/

I've tried to make it very simple - just a starting point for people who need a little guidance on carbohydrates, fats etc.

I'd welcome comments on it, especially from @peebles, @ADFnFuel, @MaryAnn, @jools7 and anyone else with an interest in nutrition. If we feel that more detail is needed (probably tbh) I am planning to do a more advanced article in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Basics of nutrition
14 Jun 2014, 14:55
Thanks for this Caroline, very easy to read and understand for those of us who do not have a scientific mind, or who like me, are just plain lazy. Love the tables and I shall be looking at these often, I may even print them off and have them handy.

Ballerina x :heart:
14 Jun 2014, 15:20
Thank you Caroline, really useful and I too will be printing the tables out.
14 Jun 2014, 15:33
Thanks for this information Caroline @carorees a great read very useful and simple to understand have put into my favourites folder for futer reminders. :like:
14 Jun 2014, 16:07
Thank you Caro for doing this x
loads of good info and so handy to have this to refer to x
14 Jun 2014, 16:12
Excellent summarizing article! :like:

(Sweet dessert has two "s")

:smile:
14 Jun 2014, 17:13
Thanks Caroline - that is really helpful and very clear. I particularly like the suggestion of increasing protein intake as I am benefiting from low carb and loving my protein. A month ago I spent some time trying to work out my protein as I thought I might be overdoing it. I like the Vit D supplements advice too, like many I prefer sitting in the shade and work indoors. The tables are great for those who do not calorie count ie just use our best judgement and keep fingers crossed and work out if we are on track by the results. I'm in the @Ballerina camp - I have to leave the science to others but really welcome the basics in one place. :like: Back to the veg - first courgette has appeared in the garden, it's the size of my finger.
14 Jun 2014, 19:19
Thankyou for all the hard work and time you have put into this, it is a great help.
15 Jun 2014, 13:07
@Carorees you wrote a very clear and concise article. Thank you! It must have taken hours of work and thought to produce this. It's going to be very helpful backup to everyone, whatever level of understanding one has. I very much look forward to the next more detailed instalment one day :like:
15 Jun 2014, 15:23
Very interesting thank you!
But I'm horrified by how much protein we should be eating on a fast day, because for the last 14 months I've been eating about 25-30g. Well at least I know now.
Commenting about the article in general: it's clearly written and simple and provides an overview, and then those who want can go on and read the more detailed one you are going to do in the future.
Edit: I would like more detail, but think it is better to have an entry level article and then a separate more advanced one for those who want it.
15 Jun 2014, 16:34
Hey

Great job and much needed. :like:
However I think maple syrup gets some bad fructose reputation; in Wiki it says maple syrup is:
1% fructose, 4 % glucose and 96 % sucrose.
(scroll down or search for maple syrup)

Am I missing a point?
15 Jun 2014, 19:20
Sucrose is made up of one molecule of glucose joined to one of fructose so maple syrup, technically, is 49% fructose, 51% glucose. Sucrose is split into its two components in the gut.
15 Jun 2014, 20:00
Very well written article, with a pleasant informative style - thanks very much. I think it will be most helpful for a lot of people...

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
16 Jun 2014, 16:44
Thank you for these guidelines Caroline it's very helpful & I found I was particularly clueless about carbohydrate quantities.
16 Jun 2014, 17:40
carorees wrote: I have just uploaded my article on the basics of nutrition to the main site: https://www.fastday.com/fasting/the-bas ... hy-eating/

I've tried to make it very simple - just a starting point for people who need a little guidance on carbohydrates, fats etc.

I'd welcome comments on it, especially from @peebles, @ADFnFuel, @MaryAnn, @jools7 and anyone else with an interest in nutrition. If we feel that more detail is needed (probably tbh) I am planning to do a more advanced article in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Oh my gosh, SO much information - Thank you!! :geek:
22 posts Page 1 of 2