The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

25 posts Page 1 of 2
I HATE weighing myself but, according to this :[url] http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... igh-myself
[/url]
I probably should weigh daily - what do you think?????
Hi LMP x i think a lot of folk on here weigh daily and whilst i dont ( as i dont have scales) i think taking a daily record then working out a weekly average will probably give you the most accurate indication of yr true weight x
I think if you weigh daily you have to have a bit of a Zen attitude about it, particularly with 5:2/4:3/ADF. Your weight will fluctuate a lot quite naturally on this type of diet since you use up glycogen stores (and the associated water) on fast days and replenish them on non-fast days. IF you do decide to weigh daily, use an app like True Weight (iPhone) or Libra (Android) that uses a smoothing algorithm to give you a trend weight. I don't think daily weighing is necessary, but weekly is probably a good idea. Unless you prefer the tape measure or using how your clothes fit as an indicator.
Clean your house :oops: It will help you in weigh. :cool:
Although I wasn't able to attach the link in here grrrr.... I follow Dr Krista Varady (5:2 was founded on her 10 year alternative fasting) and she shared a study that shows that people who weigh daily lose more weight than those who don't.

I personally weigh daily, I like to see how I'm doing, make sure I'm going in the right direction, make adjustments as needed if I have over indulged. However It does not affect my mood for the day, it just directs me to be more mindful or to keep doing what I am doing. Watching my weight decrease after each fast is the best way to spur me on each day. If ot goes up, it's usually because I've over indulged. There is the odd time the scales don't register my hard earned efforts but it just mskes me more determined to keep going lol.

I'm a firm believer that you do what's best for you but it was a great read and I liked that the studies backed up the way I approach the scales.
I started weighing daily this year when already in maintenance. It tells me whether I should be following my WOE strictly or whether I can add a hint of indulgence. Because I eat quite low carb I cannot blame gains on water, at the very best muscle! so I need to know if things are heading the wrong way PDQ. It can then take weeks of just being very strict to get shot of the extra.
JayeGirl wrote: Although I wasn't able to attach the link in here grrrr.... I follow Dr Krista Varady (5:2 was founded on her 10 year alternative fasting) and she shared a study that shows that people who weigh daily lose more weight than those who don't.

I personally weigh daily, I like to see how I'm doing, make sure I'm going in the right direction, make adjustments as needed if I have over indulged. However It does not affect my mood for the day, it just directs me to be more mindful or to keep doing what I am doing. Watching my weight decrease after each fast is the best way to spur me on each day. If ot goes up, it's usually because I've over indulged. There is the odd time the scales don't register my hard earned efforts but it just mskes me more determined to keep going lol.

I'm a firm believer that you do what's best for you but it was a great read and I liked that the studies backed up the way I approach the scales.

Was this the reference? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25397613

(To get a link just paste it into your message.)
Obviously weight is not gained or lost by jumping on the scales. It's all about what works best in making you feel comfortable on the one hand and aware of any need to become a bit more strickt in eating/exercise on the other. I also prefer to weight regularly, but only to keep track of something in the order of the average on a weekly basis in the tracker.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... igh-myself

Thanks Carorees, that's not the one. Had to go all around the houses to get this link lol. It wouldn't copy from the Facebook page it was on. Fingers crossed it work.

This is by no means me saying people should follow my lead, it's just another interesting read for the forum.
I weigh daily and use the true weight app. Been doing it now since day one except for holidays when I don't have access to scales. It keeps me on the straight and narrow but I have to say that using kitchen scales is equally as important and I have a small digital pair in the kitchen so that there are no excuses. I have done it for so long now that I can weigh most things by eye but I still use them frequently. If you are starting out, they really help with portion control.
Wendy Darling wrote: I weigh daily and use the true weight app. Been doing it now since day one except for holidays when I don't have access to scales. It keeps me on the straight and narrow but I have to say that using kitchen scales is equally as important and I have a small digital pair in the kitchen so that there are no excuses. I have done it for so long now that I can weigh most things by eye but I still use them frequently. If you are starting out, they really help with portion control.

I'm the same with kitchen scales and also measuring spoons and cups. Some people really can't eye a tablespoon lol.

What is the true weight app?
JayeGirl wrote: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/11/how-often-should-i-weigh-myself

Thanks Carorees, that's not the one. Had to go all around the houses to get this link lol. It wouldn't copy from the Facebook page it was on. Fingers crossed it work.

This is by no means me saying people should follow my lead, it's just another interesting read for the forum.

Yes, Facebook doesn't seem to let you copy links.

I weigh daily but it's not for everyone... You do need to have a zen like acceptance of the variability you get.
True weight is an app in the Apple Store. I'm not sure if there is an android version or not. There are others, Carorees uses a different one which I believe is android. Not sure what it's called. I'm sure if you google 'weight tracker' or similar, you will find something suitable. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you get on. It's not for everyone. Some people think it's obsessive. It just keeps me mindful.
Thanks, I have downloaded it and had a read through. What's obbsessive to one is normal to another. :wink:
I use My Fitness Pal which is synced to my Jawbone (bot like a Fitbit). I love apps and gadgets so thanks for this.
barbarita wrote: I started weighing daily this year when already in maintenance. It tells me whether I should be following my WOE strictly or whether I can add a hint of indulgence. Because I eat quite low carb I cannot blame gains on water, at the very best muscle! so I need to know if things are heading the wrong way PDQ. It can then take weeks of just being very strict to get shot of the extra.

I think regular weighing is more important for me in maintenance than when I was losing. I had a fairly steady trajectory with my weight loss (not that it stopped me from having a moan here every week I didn't lose), and while it helped keep me motivated to see that, I never needed it to change my behavior. In maintenance, however, I think constant monitoring is necessary to prevent regains. Another thing I'm constantly moaning about here is that I haven't stayed at goal weight, but at least I know right away to start dealing with small gains. I think this has been just as important as the sustainability of fasting to keep me at least close to my goal weight for 1.5 years!
25 posts Page 1 of 2