The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Read this article on My Fitness Pal this morning-

My fitness pal blog post

They don't seem to be keen on fasting!
I still use their app, and it's funny how on fats days it declares that I'm not eating enough. Yet I get praise for losing weight. Ain't people fickle.
Thanks to @fast_jason we have found a way to make this thread display properly.

We had to edit @wildmissus's post because the length of the text of the link was so long that, as it had to fit on one line of text, it forced the page to be extremely wide.

The edit added a code that you might find useful: you hit the URL button in the row of buttons above the posting window, and then to the code that appears you change it to look like this [url=http:etc etc]add some kind of text[/url]. That way, the very long url does not get displayed and the page can be a normal size.
Hi @wildmissus
I loved the comment below the item..

"The Lean Gains schedule (because its not a diet) is possibly the most effective fat loss, muscle/strength gain procedure out there... its about hormone control - insulin, testosterone, growth hormone all at work. They're very important pieces of the puzzle. Not to mention the importance of "re-learning" that just because you are feeling hungry.. it doesn't actually mean you are hungry - its your bad eating habits driven into you since you were a child - fasting for 18hours (including sleep time) has been a real eye opener and EXTREMELY easy after the first week. my results have been sensational. I dont plan on stopping any time soon. AND I'M STILL EATING PLENTY OF GOOD FOOD TOO!!!" :like:
Yeah ... Not a lot of sense out there, is there? Just seen Lorraine Kelly's comments on 5:2 and dieting in the latest July issue of Woman & Home ... Can' t post cos it won't let me, but the gist is 'I don't like the idea of 5:2 because I can't stand restricting my diet and just eating a bean' ...
There will be more of this sort of scare-mongering and misrepresentation as the diet industry gets more panicked about their profits.
Yes indeedy! A diet that can be explained in a few paragraphs, claims no magic, requires you to buy no special foods or supplements, and works. This could destroy the economies of the developed world!
Great isn't it? Wonder if I could sue WW for mis informing me! They can say what they like, this works and has more benefits than just weight loss.
peebles wrote: Yes indeedy! A diet that can be explained in a few paragraphs, claims no magic, requires you to buy no special foods or supplements, and works. This could destroy the economies of the developed world!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: quite true :shock: :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
So true @peebles but you know, i think the giant diet industry will continue to flourish .....so many people have a mental block with the word "fast" and aren't prepared to just suck it and see.
So the endless cycle of WW etc grinds on,and it will work for some - but only in the short term - which is what the diet industry relies on happening.
I have a friend who's maintaining well and happily and looking great at her optimum weight and size,after several months WW.
But she's in a minority...and at least we know if we put weight back on,and want to lose it again,it isnt going to involve us in forking out for registration and weekly membership fees! In fact,it saves us money!
Saving money--I've found I've needed to adjust how much food I buy! Some has gone to waste 'cause I bought more than I could eat before it spoiled! Especially the artisan bread my son and I like; just don't do bread on fast days...sure y'all understand that! And now that I don't eat "just because" (it's time, it sounds good, yadda yadda) and pretty carefully think about what to eat before I put it in my mouth, I've really reduced my snacking. It's funny; after years of dieting, then MORE years of being anti-diet (tired of yo-yo-ing!), I'd gotten allergic to even the thought of calorie counting! But now, being aware of calories as a measure is helpful to me for deciding if a food is really that attractive. For example, I LOVE these whole wheat peach apricot fig bars from a local store, and normally can chow down on 4 or so without even thinking about it. Then I looked up calories and found ONE is 120! Ouch! So 4 of those would be my entire allowance on a fast day!!! Oops! Since I have trouble eating "just one" of these, I've been very mindful about having them since starting 5:2...pull out how many I want then put the rest away...

On the other hand, I adore how on this WOL I know I can have what I want on a non-fast day, so it really helps me control myself on fast days. And on non-fast days, I know I won't die from being hungry, which helps me control unconscious eating on those days. It's a win-win! :lol:
I think your right about the diet industry and the misunderstanding of how 5:2 works. The latest WW advert stated and "no fasting". I have stopped saying fasting and say low calorie days instead as it explains it to people much better because I still eat. Plus I was getting pretty tired of explaining that starvation and famine mode won't kick in after 24 hours. This is the best way for me to lose weight I don't feel deprived and my appetite is resetting, I feel fantastic and all my stomach problems have all but vanished. It takes initiative to do this WOE and to keep it going and some people can't do that they need the weekly weight ins and "tell me what to eat" so I think WW and SW etc will be safe. I also think the article was wrong to compare 5:2 and a juice diet both are different and the juice one is hardly substainable.
Good point@Brand-ie about 5:2 and juice diet shouldn't be bracketed together x
I have been maintaining a significant weight loss for more than a decade but doing that required eating moderately day in and day out, and "moderately" decreased with each passing year until maintenance calories were what most people eat when they are dieting.

So I am loving fasting--well, not when I'm actually doing it, but on the other five days--because it let's me indulge some and not feel like I'm condemned to turn away from all the treats everyone else gets to eat!

To have lost 10 lbs while eating pizza and fried chicken is a dream come true! Small portions, mind you, but even so.

I am noticing the same phenomenon of groceries going bad, and have started buying rolls at Whole Foods instead of loaves. Partly this is because on my non-fast days we tend to eat our big meal out, especially now that it is what passes for spring this year here in New England. After a long, cold, dark winter in the house, I love getting out and enjoying those long light evenings.
Same here @peebles, I would rather fast for hours and then eat generous amounts than space out little old lady meals throughout the day.
18 posts Page 1 of 2