The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

82 posts Page 3 of 6
Re: more boards?
26 Apr 2013, 12:11
Is there a better way of controlling the Progress Reports topic? I would like to see progress reports from those who've been sticking at it for at least a good few weeks. I get a bit bored with opening posts in this section only to find it's from a new starter who's only done one fast, weighed the day after and elated they've lost a few pounds and then freaked out a few days later because they've put the weight back on again. I don't feel inclined to reply.
26 Apr 2013, 12:15
BBT053 wrote: I just scan down new posts when I come on, I rarely know which section they're in.

I have to admit I do the same as BBT053 - I am not used to these forums and I find all the different areas a bit overwhelming so don't take notice of which forum, just try to read all and everything which will help and inspire me - and there is plenty of that, which is wonderful.
26 Apr 2013, 13:32
So, is there anyway of perhaps being able to view the unread posts/new posts according to which forum they are in rather than just by posting time, so one could ignore/put to one side the posts from boards that are not of interest at the time?
26 Apr 2013, 14:17
dominic wrote: Not sure if you've realised Old Nog but things are already split here into separate forums. So you can already look on the recipe forum to see any posts about recipes. You find the forums by clicking on Home near the top (under the pizza), then under the list of 'Recent Active Topics' and under the list of 'News, Announcements & Important Info' you will see '5:2 Fasting Diet Discussion Forums'.

If you haven't noticed that before I don't blame you.

Don't worry I was using it as an example, maybe not worded very well, but I've been running a couple of angling forums for several years, the more successful they are the more difficult it becomes to use believe it or not. Its difficult to decide just how many sub forums you need!
26 Apr 2013, 15:03
carorees wrote: So, is there anyway of perhaps being able to view the unread posts/new posts according to which forum they are in rather than just by posting time, so one could ignore/put to one side the posts from boards that are not of interest at the time?

Yes, you can go into the board that you want to read and they're all listed at the top! ;)
26 Apr 2013, 15:20
Yes, I know that! I meant in 'one hit'! For people who don't want to do to each board in turn. Ok, silly idea...I'll get my coat...:oops:
26 Apr 2013, 15:57
No not a silly idea :). I think if there was an extra column in the new posts list to show what forum heading it was posted under it would be of benefit.

I tend to only want to look at Progress Reports, the General forum and the Nerdy forum so it would help to point me straight to these.
26 Apr 2013, 16:01
But it does already.

Each entry in the list has the topic name, the name of the user who started the topic, the date and time the topic was started and the name of the board the topic is in.
26 Apr 2013, 16:12
:oops: Oh you're right. I don't really use the 'view new posts' on the left hand menu. I tend to go to the Home page and look at Recently Active Topics - that's what I was referring to.

I'm not the most observant at the best of times :grin:
26 Apr 2013, 16:15
Ah, yes, it doesn't there. :)
26 Apr 2013, 16:17
I actually think it works quite well as it is. It seems well planned and laid out so that even a non-computerate person like me can find my way around. If you change things I'll be completely lost,

Ballerina x
26 Apr 2013, 17:17
The only solution is to visit frequently so the new posts don't mount up too much!! ;-) :-D
26 Apr 2013, 18:42
love love love this forum and thank you so much for all that you all do.

On another forum that I use 2 things that are helpful to me, are that if you scroll over the title of the thread it will give you the first sentence of the first entry so that you can see if you are interested.

It also has a place next to the title of each thread that lets you know you have read or answered the thread in the past and you can click and it takes you directly to the first unread entry.

both are helpful to the way I read the forums.

Thanks again for all you all do!
26 Apr 2013, 18:47
Hi deMuralist, I agree this is a pretty lovable place isn't it?

Although this doesn't have the feature you describe it has something a bit similar once you have opened a topic - at the top of the page is a link to 'First unread post' which does what you were suggesting - I agree it would be nice if this link was presented on the topic lists.
26 Apr 2013, 18:48
This forum has the read/not read indicator for posts: red = unread posts, blue = all read. There's a little dot at the bottom right below the blue/red circles to show if you've posted in that thread.

The little square next to the circle takes you to the first unread post.

The mouse over idea sounds neat!
82 posts Page 3 of 6