The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

82 posts Page 1 of 6
more boards?
12 Apr 2013, 19:09
Was chatting to my friend today about the forum and she said she hasn't been coming on the forum so much recently because it is getting too big (as in took many new topics in any one board). So I was wondering if it was time to split the frequently asked questions board into boards on say: exercise, side effects, how to 5:2 or similar.

Any thoughts on this, or alternative suggestions for making the forum more user friendly?
Re: more boards?
12 Apr 2013, 19:17
The only thing I would change, if possible, is the number of posts showing on the front page.
Now that there are more posts than before, 5 is a small number, IMO...
12 Apr 2013, 19:20
There's just so much activity that I tend to stick to the 1st page of the Active Topics, though I agree there could be more sections created:
Exercise and Fitness; Food Advice; Health Conditions; 5:2 for Beginners; 5:2 Maintenance; Useful Tools...
12 Apr 2013, 19:21
I agree with tml. 5 is not enough as there are so many new posts and reactions daily.
Not sure splitting the forums would help.

Sandy
12 Apr 2013, 19:43
I just scan down new posts when I come on, I rarely know which section they're in.
12 Apr 2013, 19:44
Hmm, that's an interesting point. The forum is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success very suddenly! That would be a real shame.

I tend to click on new posts or active topics, but then there is a huge list, with lots of posts on similar topics. I don't think that more sub-boards would really help me. I wonder whether part of the problem is that some (lots of) people tend to start a new thread/pose a question rather than adding to an existing one. Then they may be disappointed at not getting an answer. Could there possibly be some thread titles that we all add to instead of keeping making new threads?

Thank you all for all your work! I find the forum so supportive. :like:
12 Apr 2013, 19:48
TML13 wrote: The only thing I would change, if possible, is the number of posts showing on the front page.

I agree, its good to peruse the recently active topics and dip in, so it would be good if more than five showing. I find the search quite useful if I can remember the title of the thread I want to read. It great though thanks to everyone organising it! :grin:
12 Apr 2013, 19:57
I think it would be interesting to see how people use the forum. When I am on I automatically go the 'view new posts' and generally spent an age just going through the first page. I occasionally go to 'view your posts' and sometimes use the search facility at the top. I only go to a board if I want to start a new topic. I know that doesn't answer you question but I hope it helps.
12 Apr 2013, 20:08
TML13 wrote: The only thing I would change, if possible, is the number of posts showing on the front page.

Seconded, or actually I think, thirded
12 Apr 2013, 20:13
The problem I see with creating more boards is that often newbies are put off by an excess of forums and not knowing which one to post in. If there are particularly busy boards which could do with splitting out a little I'm happy to look at doing this if there's demand for it. The general diet/health board is one which could become several as suggested.

One other option top help reduce duplicate questions is a modification I spotted the other day - a bit like the similar topics mod only this one suggests similar topics when a user posts a new topic, in case they don't really need to post theirs if the question has already been asked and answered. I didn't install it because I thought new users might feel less valued if the forum suggests their post isn't necessary.

I can adjust the amount of posts on the front page if you like, just didn't want to push the actual forums list too far down!

Well, got another coat of paint to do now but will get to my desk once that's done and look at what else we can do here :)
12 Apr 2013, 20:18
I am new to this site and forums in general but I wondered if there was a clearer search topic box situated above the threads to encourage people to continue on a theme. I think it's an absolutely fantastic site and love the support so big thank you, but I was a little unsure how to find a particular topic I was looking for today until I saw the small search box on top left.
12 Apr 2013, 20:25
There is also a phpBB modification which allows mods to merge topics. So you can stitch all the similar topics together into an uber thread. I think more subforums just add to the confusion personally.
12 Apr 2013, 20:36
Hi badalya I thanked you because I was finding out what the thumbs up did on everyone's posts, sorry , I don't seem to have a thumbs up icon on my posts, have I not set something correctly?
12 Apr 2013, 20:47
gemini wrote: Hi badalya I thanked you because I was finding out what the thumbs up did on everyone's posts, sorry , I don't seem to have a thumbs up icon on my posts, have I not set something correctly?

you can't thank yourself :oops:
12 Apr 2013, 20:51
:shame: silly me ! I'm not only a newbie 5:2 er but at forums too it seems ..lol
82 posts Page 1 of 6