The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

49 posts Page 3 of 4
Thank you for all those links caroess. I’m wondering if there’s a difference between their emphasis on chronic constipation and that brought about by any form of IF. My MiL only ‘went’ once a week, she didn’t think of that as being constipated whereas if I didn’t go for two days I’d be concerned. My GP says they don’t worry until after three days and then prescribe Movicol or its equivalent.

It wasn’t ‘til last year I discovered that’s possible to have diarrhoea and constipation at the same time - don’t ask!

The standard medical leaflet for anyone with Diverticulitis (being constipated is extremely painful) is to go for a high fibre diet. I’m close to someone for whom that was an unmitigated disaster. Her diet was already high in fibre and overall healthy.

After discussion with her consultant she now ensures she has a reasonable amount of ‘rubbish’ food (for example, white bread) and takes Fybrogel every day and has been doing that for three years. So that answers Penny’s question. He was a great guy and admitted he had no evidence but it seemed that the system got used to the help and therefore didn’t overreact. The advice was to take it after breakfast, making life socially difficult, so gradually she changed the time to about 8.30pm.

When I was being treated in hospital I got so fed up being told to have a healthy diet - I’ve never had anything else!!! - including from a consultant whilst performing my colonoscopy. She suggested ‘Golden Linseed’, ‘it’s in my homemade muesli’, then take more of it’, the conversation we had could’ve made TV comedy - must’ve sounded like an old married couple, everything I said she countered and vice versa. :grin:

All Bran was advised, I’ve never minded it but couldn’t believe someone in the medical profession would recommend something with such a high sugar and salt content. In terms of sugar the same goes for low fat yoghurts.

To cut my story very short, I changed from a daily sachet of Fybrogel to occasional use and finished up weighing smaller quantities, to eventually as low as one gram about once a week. The last time was 21 December. That approach (occasional small dosage) may help those who ‘suffer’ because of IF.

I tried one tablet of magnesium - let’s just say a bit too effective.

I doubt whether there can be a definitive answer - we’re all so different.
I make musily with the following stuff in it...

Flax Seeds - Milled, do this in a processor
Oatbran
Mixed Nuts - Chopped
Desiccated Coconut - The unsweetened stuff
Pumpkin Seeds
Sunflower Seeds
Poppy Seeds
Sesame Seeds - Toasted

Have with lots filtered (Greek style) full fat bio yogurt and some blueberries, sprinkle with cinnamon, I think this tastes great.

Unsweetened soy milk is good too with this instead of yogurt.

Note* there are some medical caveats regarding flax seed so be sure to check them out.
@caitlin we see to be twins in the feed day breakfast department only I call mine ambrosia, been having it generally 3 time a week only I have all things seedy and chia as well a splash of good quality flaxseed oil and a teaspoon of lecithin. Add a banana and papaya too. It is heavenly and I eat it for my bowel health. Just slips through bowel I feel. If needing help might add sprinkle of psyllium over the lot. Mind you all the above just makes a small bowl as well and I am not hungry for hours. Win win

Love this whole post thanks everyone esp Caroline and the gummy bear stories a must read
Ha yes! @gillymary definite "Win Win" rocket fuel for breakfast. Besides the digestive health benefits there was a study that cites flax seed as helping to regulate blood sugar so it's an extra bonus for me if that is the case. Chia seeds look worth checking out.
:smile:
Prunes too high in calories and sweet, All Bran also too much sugar. I don't like taking aperients because they can lead to diarrhoea and loss of minerals etc. I find the occasional suppository works wonders.
I'd suggest fermentable fibre rather than soluble/unsoluble for good general gut health. There is a general link between fermentable and soluble but you also get unsoluble fermentable fibres. The gut is incredibly complex and as has been picked up, everyone is different due to the varieties of bacteria and diets so different treatments are bound to be effective for different people.
@Alymoosh I so like how you describe it is 'not one size fits all' concept. Agree our guts are very complex but I really do agree we need to work on the kindest gentlest and most natural way to keep things moving without as @jools7 pointed out causing the bowel to become lazy and dependent. Must go more into fermentable fibres. Think I recall the thread ages ago

Here is the link

the-5-2-lab-f10/topic3901-45.html#p50103
Such a great topic, and well timed in my life. :oops:

I've added prunes to my shopping list.

I do take probiotics daily, with a kefir drink on non-fast days.

I also drink bubbly water with magnesium and eat swiss chard... I've found that taking magnesium can mess with my heart palpitations... I think :?:
The constipation I've had on 5:2 has been the worst since... well,since the last time I lost weight. In fact so bad I went to the doctor to check that there was nothing sinister (there wasn't). She told me to look at the NHS website which told me to do all the things I was doing, ie fibre/drink water/exercise, all of which I had done more of, not less, while losing weight. Very irritating. So it's great to read that article. It seems only logical that if you have plenty of fibre, adding a whole heap more, which I do when dieting or doing 5:2 because I eat more bulky vegetables, is just packing an extra load onto the system when it is already plugged.

But why is it plugged? I wonder if there is something about having a caloric deficit which makes the body try to hang on to food as it goes through the system, to get every last bit of nutrition from it. Which would be another reason why the "weight loss = Calories out minus calories in" is an over-simplification of a complex reality.

Things are OK at the moment, touch wood! Possibly because I'm now maintaining, not losing. But I've bought a can of sweetcorn kernels to keep in the cupboard. That has always been my solution to get things moving.

Incidentally, I've always wondered - is there something special about the drying process that makes prunes effective? Or could you get the same effect from eating an equal number of plums? Personally, I always prefer to eat fresh rather than dried fruit, as I get more volume to eat for the same calories, plus they don't stick to my teeth.
I think it's more to do with volume of food in the system and with me, not drinking enough to compensate for water in food. But a quick google seems to indicate it's an issue with all sorts of diets.
I feel it is due to more water being absorbed from the bowel making the contents 'stiffer'. I can't work out why this is , possibly slow transit due to less content ot water resorbtion the day after a fast during replenishment of glycogen stores. I try to drink plenty but I just keep weeing!That is why my strategy consists of softeners and bulking agents ( and anything else anyone suggests)
Prunes are horridly sweet, plums are gorgeous and do exactly the same or, in my case, work even better. Dearth of tinned plums in supermarkets at the moment is annoying as they work just as well as fresh ones.
Should've kept my big mouth shut. :shock: 24 hours after my last post, everything stopped. Fybrogel didn't work, Movicol has had some effect despite my meals consisting mainly of fruit, soaked dried and fresh, plenty of veg, salad some fish and a little chicken. All taken in small quantities. Even stopped bread etc., for a few days. Once again I've had to stop IF in order to get back some balance in my system. Onward and upward. :confused:
Spurred on by the discussion on this thread, I recently purchased some 'Lepicol', which contains finely ground psyllium husks, inulin ('a prebiotic fibre'), and 5 probiotics ('naturally present in a healthy person's digestive system'). It was slightly more expensive than straight psyllium husks but having read something (in one of Carolines links, I think), about the importance of gut bacillus or bacterium, I thought it was worth giving it a go!

I have been taking it once a day, for three days and today it has worked! :victory: It's not the most pleasant thing to take but I shall persist in taking it and hope that it continues to counteract the prescribed medication which is causing the problem. :frown:

I will report further on its continued efficacy (or not)! :smile:
Red beets and beet juice

I've tried beet juice for running purposes and it had, erm, side effects :bugeyes:
For me it works better than prunes and it has a lot of positive press:

http://www.juicing-benefits-toolbox.com/benefits-of-beet-juice.html

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/benefits-beet-juice
49 posts Page 3 of 4