The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

56 posts Page 2 of 4
Thanks for the info @SSure re the FTO gene. I remember hearing about this, but had forgotten the details. It does seem to make sense. As well as changing activity levels, I would think the greater availability of fast and processed foods would also have an impact on how the FTO gene exhibits its relationship to overweight/ obesity - I expect that on average the more recently someone has been born, the more likely they are to eat more of such foods. Do you know much about epigentics? I would think that is playing a role here too.
I just did the quiz... love a quiz. I'm 42% Feaster, which fits, I think! I'm not increasing my protein though! Think I'll stick with what I know works for my body and mind, 5:2 + LCHF :eat:
Re quiz: Constant craver was just ahead of feaster for me. IF has certainly worked for me re weight loss, but I think I do need to address the feaster aspect, so am trying to reduce carbs and increase fats. But I am finding that increasing fats also increases protein. I got my carbs down to 80g - veg plus some fruit (don't know if I could ever get them down to 50g!), but protein was up to 90g, even tho I ate much more fatty food than I normally would (cheeses, including cream cheese, black olives, nuts). I am not sure I want to replace the fruit or protein foods with high fat foods such as cream or coconut milk or other okay fats. Guess I should check out the low carbers tent for ideas... Btw, I do expect to reintroduce more carbs, as I don't want to give up milk chocolate and cakes forever, but I am just testing the lowish carb approach for a week at least. (I do feel hungry on a non-fast day, a bit like on a fast day :( , but it has of course stopped me binging on chocolate and similar, because these are banned for the short term!!! :lol: )
Just done the quiz and this is what I got -

' 54% of your eating behaviours are those of a "Constant Craver"
Constant Craver
You have a strong biological drive to eat and in today’s world, where there are many eating opportunities, you easily put on weight. It will take more effort for you to diet than for most people.
You may have a high number of the genes linked to obesity risk, which are believed to have descended from ancestors who lived when food was scarce but ate well when food was available.
Intermittent dieting will help you conserve your mental energy so you can stick with the eating plan for longer than conventional dieting.
Experts recommend eating at least 600kcal and no more than 800kcal per day on two consecutive days each week, then eating a generally healthy diet for the other five, but without counting calories.'

Interesting and might explain why I have been able to stick at this way of eating for so long.
Constant craver here too, lucky I found IF, eh?

I note that the two days of IF they recommend appears to be the Two Day Diet not the FastDiet. That is to say, 600--800 cals (low carb) on two consecutive fast days followed by five days of Mediterranean diet. It will be interesting to see if they specify this in the program.
carorees wrote: I note that the two days of IF they recommend appears to be the Two Day Diet not the FastDiet. That is to say, 600--800 cals (low carb) on two consecutive fast days followed by five days of Mediterranean diet.

I noticed that, and the non-restricted menu suggestions have a definite Mediterranean slant. It will be interesting to see if this is because Genesis/Two Day was tested in the UK by Harvie & Howell and had fair numbers of participants? Mind, the argument they make for the back to back is strikingly similar I've seen to remarks I've seen from @CandiceMarie and others - that they don't feel hungry when they wake after a FD so H&H just advise their fasters to fast again.*

tbh, I wonder if people who are intimidated by the freedom to eat whatever they want prefer the template of the Two Day Diet because it makes suggestions about food choices on non-fast days. Many of us relish our freedom to choose and to graft on a WOE with our food schedules (e.g., lower carb, LCHF etc.) but it overwhelms some of those who need structure when they start on a new venture like this?

*I normally loathe the suggestion of back to back FDs as I've seen too many people suggest them as a way of piling on restrictions that may well rebound later. I was recently horrified to learn that Varady recommend adding in another FD to her EOD as a possible way of breaking a plateau (3 consecutive FDs + an additional 45mins exercise). I have a skewed experience, however, of only seeing people suggest B2B FDs and then see them report binge/over-eating as a consequence - or someone admits, months later, that they'd previously had a history (unmentioned) of ED and they'd started using B2B FDs as a means to recover from binges but the binges spread from just being at the weekend to during the week etc.
There must be people for whom B2B FDs are fine, if they're part of a structure like this with 5 unrestricted food choice (but not quantity) days in-between.
41% emotional eater but I knew that already. Recommends CBT but the link is for a low calorie diet. How disappointing.
There is a free e-book to go with the programme. Instructions on how to download it can be found here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30709297
55% Feaster, 25% constant craved, 17% emotional eater. But of course I answered the quiz on the basis of my experiences as an eating window practitioner, so of course I have big portions because I do not eat all day long, and of course I am sometimes hungry between meals as I experience occasional hunger pangs during my 19 hour fast. I read the feature on the BBC News App regarding the documentary and they are going to push eating breakfast, so I May not even bother to watch.
Well, I downloaded the book (actually an app and the link to the page about downloads is hopeless as it just takes you to the app store) and skimmed through it.

They suggest three types of diet: one for those who don’t get the right fullness signals from their stomachs, which is a low GI, high protein, low fat diet; one for people who tend to think about food most of the time which is is the Two Day Diet form of IF (two low carb approx 600-800 cal days in a row followed by 5 days of Mediterranean diet); and a standard low GI, low sugar, low fat diet plus a support group for emotional eaters.

I’m very disappointed to see they recommend low fat and low saturated fat on non-fast days.

Also they don't consider that fasting can help break the link between emotions and eating or that fasting can help people to feel full on smaller portions (i.e., it would work with feasters and emotional eaters also).

As already noted most of us don't fit completely into one box, so why did the program makers consider that people could combine elements of each of the diets to tailor it to their needs? Oh, funnily enough that's what our program does!!!

I am surprised they can’t tear themselves away from the low fat message and that they embrace such a complicated diet as the TwoDay diet for the IF approach.
I've just taken the test and they recommend IF for me! That's lucky, as I have been doing it for nearly two years! :smile:
I have the programme set to record tonight. Let's hope that it's worthwhile! Look what 'The Fast Diet' and MM has done for so many of us! :grin:
My test result was:- no particular category or none!
I'll stick with fasting/primal for now then :0)
This looks an interesting programme so will record it over the next 3 nights.
I got 47% Feaster and 44% constant craver. I think this diet helps a bit with the feasting if you try to have most of the calories on the down days in 1 or 2 meals.
Thanksfor all the info x
Just did the test and as i thought,my results show i am all three! The results break down into almost a third of each type..type 3 just slightly less! :confused:
56 posts Page 2 of 4