The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

56 posts Page 3 of 4
I'm 75% constant craver same as a 'picker' which I have always classed myself as. Glad I've taken the right dietary pathway!
I'm 66% constant craver (and a chef so yes I do think about food a LOT) and 34% feaster. It sounded exactly like me and recommended IF!! Funnily enough this is the only WOE I have lost weight with and kept it off so their suggestion was bang on.
I wasn't going to watch this program (and only did so I could record Broadchurch and skip through the ads!). I did find it surprisingly enjoyable, I took the quiz and am 53% Constant Craver and 35% Feaster, so like many others am glad I found this WOE.
I have only done back to back Fasts when there is no other way to get two Fasts into a week and found them hard, but am going to try it again this week which will work around a Blood Donor session on Thursday.
Interesting to see MM say that he took the test and was categorised as a Constant Craver. :)
https://twitter.com/DrMichaelMosley/sta ... 8365485056

It looks like a fair number of 5:2 people on Twitter tweeted MM to say that they'd had similar test results.

I'm most interested by the indications that it's the Feaster people who 'lost most weight' over the course of this study. I could stand them covering a lot more of the science (with luck, tonight or tomorrow).
Oh @SianS you're just like me: I only watched it because I was recording Broadchurch (so I could skip the adverts). I found it quite interesting (haven't taken the test yet). I was struck by the relief of people when they were told they had a slow hormone. It was as though they finally had something to blame.
I didn't realise the people following IF had to do the fast days back to back. That seems a bit harsh. I did note, however, that their calorie allowance, though, was 800...so it has it compensations.
Anyway, I shall definitely be watching the next episode tonight :geek:
@nursebean I took the test although I think that all that I've learnt on here possibly skewed the way I answered the questions. It is worth downloading the free ebook as it give more info on the Fasting techniques, basically back to back, 600 -800 calories and no refined carbs (nothing earth shattering there) and it is nicely produced.
I'll be watching the next one tonight too - after Broadchurch :smile:
Ooh Broadchurch ended well,
Anyway, I took the test and was pleased to see I'm 54% constant craver, 32% emotional eater. Basically I'm on the right path. I wonder why you have to do consecutive fast days. Anyway, I think I'll stick to my DODO method :wink:
I missed last night's episode, but did catch tonight's. It's very interesting.
They've identified three main groups - fasters, emotional eaters and constant cravers. They've put this last group onto a fasting diet. But have specified consecutive days. They explained to them how it gives your tummy a rest from the constant eating which you normally do.
I will be watching the next episode to check how things work out!
x
@karenm I've merged your thread with the existing one on this topic. Hope that’s OK.
coffeetime wrote: I seem to be a cross between the constant cravers and emotional eaters but the thought of joining WW type groups doesn't appeal to me at all. I think I'll stay with the cravers and 5:2, it works for me.

I got 53% ee
47% cc
I have done the groups and hate them!
I will stick to 5:2!
After the program there was a QA with Professor Susan Jebb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/entries/2 ... s#comments

"Rosie (152) and some others have asked about whether our intermittent fasting diet is the 5:2 diet. There are all sorts of variations on 5:2 dieting. Here we have combined the general idea of severely restricting intake on 2 days with the low carb concept. This is because avoiding carbs on these two days will encourage your body to produce ketones. These act as a natural appetite suppressant, making it easier to stick to the diet. This was especially important for our Constant Cravers who were always going to find dieting hard work. We encouraged them to do these two “fasting” days simultaneously so the ketone levels built up and they all reported that the second day was easier than the first."

+other useful gem of wisdom....
Took the test and it said I didn't fit any category and so the results said the reasons I should look at for being overweight were.....eating too much. Despite them telling me I have a BMI of 19.3 from their initial questions.
Oh dear @Franglaise that doesn't sound very good :confused:
Well, I enjoyed the programme. It didn't really give that much in the way of new ideas but it was pleasing to see that the fasters did well :smile:
I would have liked them to say which of the 3 teams had lost the most weight, but aside from that, it was good to see tv media thoughtfully exploring 'a calorie is not just a calorie' for a change.
It was tremendously repetitive in the 3rd programme, had they run out of steam?
Anyway, a good effort by Horizon as always.
:0)
Actually, yes I agree with all that. It would have bean good to see which group did the best. Personally, I just don't think the other two groups are sustainable. Fasting is long term because you can eat well on other days. I'd like to see the groups again next year and see how they've done!
56 posts Page 3 of 4