The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Below are three very recent links from psychologytoday.com that offer insights worth considering about individual motivation - what works and what doesn't - including some minor homework leading to actions to ensure successful weight loss and maintenance. Enjoy.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ack-part-1

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ack-part-2

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ack-part-3
We just need to form a habit as we do it on daily basis, will start to enjoy doing it.
Thanks @ADFnFuel, these are very useful links that cover an aspect of weight management that I don't think has been discussed a lot recently in this forum.

It makes sense that our source of motivation for losing weight will impact on how successful we are longer term, and it is therefore sensible that we do adequately examine the source, and seek to adjust it as necessary, as per the articles. :)
Fully agree that psychological factors are the main factors that explain sustainable success in weight/health management. On the articles: seems fine to distinghuish 4 types of motivation, but they are of course not exclusive: they might play a role to some extent at the same time. The interesting question is how they interact: can they reinforce each other, or do they impair each other? Do external motivations decrease internal ones (which would be a problem), or are there ways to frame them that make them contribute to internal ones. I recollect a discussion long ago on 'things to do/buy' when reaching (intermediate) goals. Perhaps it would help to see them not as motivations for keeping on track (external), but as celebrations for something that is already positive in itselve.
5-2-diet-chat-f6/rewarding-yourself-for-reaching-mini-goals-t8666.html?

In relation to fasting the main issue seems to be how can we make sure that the activities of fasting and naturally also not having to bother on other days (or times of the day) are experienced as something that is easy/fun/pleasure as such. For me not having to count calories and not having to be selective in food choice (yes, I do like my carbs :grin: ) are an essential part of that. It enables me to rely on internal motivations for most of the time, and to celebrate some rewards that are close to being external also on a few occasions :cool:
Very interesting stuff. I certainly started out with an internal motivation and perhaps that is why I have been able to be successful this time when all the other diets were not. I think that, while fasting is not pleasurable, knowing that I am benefitting my health and that I can also have some treats during the non-fasting hours is pleasurable. I also think that my tastes are changing so that when I do have potatoes, rice or pasta I find them bland and dull compared with veggies slathered in butter, and I find bread too stodgy, so that means I don't have to struggle greatly to keep my carbs to a reasonable level (so the exercise of reducing carbs has become pleasurable). I still struggle a bit with eating cake - even when it is a bit too sweet for me and I'm not enjoying it as much as I was expecting, but as with us all, I'm still a work in progress.

I wonder how many of the people who have been able to stick to fasting on this forum had (or developed) an internal motivation? Also, how many returners have come back with a different motivation which means they will be more successful this time around. The comments I see often point to a change in attitude between falling off the wagon and returning.
Good points @carorees. If ever we do a new questionnaire survey (yes we might have to make some time for that), we should include some questions on types of motivation during fasting, maintenance and leaving/returning.
Thanks for posting. Helpful to get behind why I continue to struggle.
My motivation is twofold and can best be described as trying to return to a body shape and weight that I last enjoyed and achieved 10 years ago when I looked and felt really good and also as a preventative measure now I am in my 60s to have as many years of a good quality of life and put off the physical and mental effects of aging. I am keen on looking up nutrition and disease related websites (eg liver disease, diabetes, heart disease and so on) and trying to glean as much information as I can. Reading posts of people who have been doing IF for the past two years is so encouraging and I do believe it it is a long term method of increasing health benefits overall.
I am totally agree with you. This is very helpful post. :oops:
9 posts Page 1 of 1