The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

63 posts Page 3 of 5
Re: Maintaining: February 2015
16 Feb 2015, 13:21
barbarita wrote: I can tell you if I have maintained, but maintaining is only as good as the last weigh-in.

How very true! I look at my Libra trend which says my weight is going upwards and think "but is it though?", it depends on what happens next week/month.

I think I am a long way from relaxing my "white knuckle" grip on my weight loss!
16 Feb 2015, 14:32
@peebles It is scary to go away in the dead of a cold winter, isn't it? Sounds like you're doing the right thing to stay at home where you can keep an eye on it--must be giving you cabin fever, though.

I'm up a pound the last 2 days after being in all weekend. We're venturing out today--just a few blocks to a cooking supply store (lost my favorite paring knife :curse: --nothing else feels good in my hand) then a block further to have lunch out--seems a big deal when the wind chill factor this morning is at -18°F (-28°C)!
19 Feb 2015, 11:14
We're in the middle of summer (37 degrees Celsius today) but my weight is creeping up slowly too. :( Too many gin & tonics perhaps, or ice creams?
I haven't been fasting this week as the gastroenterologist wants to perform an endoscopy and colonoscopy next week, which means light breakfast on Wednesday morning, prepatory sachets and clear liquids for the next 36 hours. That will be my fast done for the week. That's the only positive side I can see. Hopefully something will show up as I am fed up with feeling bloated, having cramps and constipation. Onion and garlic don't seem to make it worse but I can't work out yet what does.
20 Feb 2015, 16:28
Hi @Wmr309 I hope your prep isn't too miserable--I had a regular screening colonoscopy last March--if you look at my tracker, I had my lowest weight on that day! :razz: Not a fun way to do it. Best of luck in finding out what causes your discomfort :clover:

As for my maintenance, I held at goal (135 lbs.) for two days and at 136 for the rest of the week, without any fasting. Just didn't feel like it. Ultra-cold weather is my excuse (for everything)
20 Feb 2015, 21:01
Wow @marybeth, I did have a look at your tracker and you are maintaining beautifully. I think the Tracker remains one of the most powerful tools of this forum.
21 Feb 2015, 00:18
7 weeks into maintaining and one lb within my range. That's one lb above last week which is fine as I know the purpose of the range is to allow for normal fluctuations.
Funny thing is I always feel 'lighter' at the beginning of the week and in touch with my body - it feels good :cool: :grin:
Must say I'm looking forward to spring and summer and wonder what that will bring.
21 Feb 2015, 10:22
Weighed today for the first time in 4 weeks and am now 9st 5lb. I did have a virus last week and hardly ate for 3 days, although have been eating normally this week. My target weight was 9st 7lb and my maintenance band is up to 9st 11lb, so plenty of wiggle room ... Still got to remember not to go mad though (although a bacon sarnie is calling ... :lol: )
22 Feb 2015, 01:53
Hello everyone. :)
I have been reflecting on my weight management situation and have decided that the maintenance tent is the right place for me.

I initially reached my (arbitrary) goal weight over a year ago, and although I am often in "weight loss" mode to undo the damage from overindulgence, the fact is that I am still close to goal weight after a year. My overall weight management goal now IS maintenance, so I will plonk myself down in this tent, even if I do have periods where the kgs stack on and have to be removed.

What is disappointing for me, however, is that although my weight is still around goal, my %body fat has increased. :( It is still an okay amount (25%) - so I shouldn't complain too much - but I was happier when it was 22%!!

This change has been reflected in my body measurements too - I continue to lose from my arms and upper torso (so my mother's comments about looking thin there are almost justified), but I have put on weight around my tummy (2") and thighs (1") - just where I don't want it.

This majority of this change seems to have occurred after my summer holiday where I did little exercise as it was too hot, but seriously overindulged in sweet foods due to boredom. Three weeks of that...

I now wonder whether it is even possible to undo this damage. It does seem to be that when I lose weight it goes from all over, but when I put it back on it concentrates in the areas where I have more fat to start with. The only way I can see to reduce the tummy fat is to reduce my overall weight even more - probably meaning I will get even thinner on top. :(

Your thoughts appreciated - @carorees and @peebles and anyone with insights (I think peebles has made reference to this phenomenon in one of her posts). :)
22 Feb 2015, 02:32
I am posting this as a result of lots of mainteneers saying in another thread that they feel they have little to contribute now. You have LOTS to contribute!! :D

It would be great to compile a list of strategies that mainteneers (and others) use to keep their calorie intake under control. We have lots of tips on managing fast days, but maybe not so many about other days?? We know the standard ones (eating windows, low carb, no snacking, the kitchen is closed, don't purchase the foods that are your downfall) but there would be other strategies that you use that would be good to share - and then be included in the fasting library.

In this tent, perhaps the emphasis could be on what (eating related) challenges you faced (if any) and what worked and didn't work for you in addressing these, rather than just reporting weight status. Some of you report on your experiences already, I know.

The idea has come up before of mainteneers mentoring newbies - I think that is a great idea. Even if this is not done formally, perhaps mainteneers who do have the time can contribute more posts to encourage new starters and to keep an eye on how they are going and tag them from time to time if they haven't posted (taking care not to be a nuisance of course!!). I know lots of you already do spend time encouraging newbies.

And/or maybe we can more closely mentor those who are really struggling?

I am sure you have other thoughts on how mainteneers who have the time can contribute to this site. :)

NB hope you have seen that I posted another post just before this one...
22 Feb 2015, 12:31
Hi Sassy - this was an idea suggested by @PennyForthem just around Christmas time, when @Moogiewas asking for ideas. PFT 's suggestion was for Mainteneers to have a badge, so they could be readily identified, and have a more active role in the forum. I wonder what has happened to this idea?
22 Feb 2015, 13:54
Sassy1 wrote: What is disappointing for me, however, is that although my weight is still around goal, my %body fat has increased. :( It is still an okay amount (25%) - so I shouldn't complain too much - but I was happier when it was 22%!!

This change has been reflected in my body measurements too - I continue to lose from my arms and upper torso (so my mother's comments about looking thin there are almost justified), but I have put on weight around my tummy (2") and thighs (1") - just where I don't want it.
I now wonder whether it is even possible to undo this damage. It does seem to be that when I lose weight it goes from all over, but when I put it back on it concentrates in the areas where I have more fat to start with.

@Sassy1, one of the miserable studies that you may have in mind and that confirms your intuition about gaining fat round your stomach and thighs is discussed by Adel Moussa:

http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... lower.html

I've quoted the URL for his post because his discussion is comprehensive and contains some useful references. Overall, the best guess concerning the lower body fat gains of weight regain is that:
Due to the limited number of subjects and relative scarce data Singh et al. can only speculate about the exact underlying reasons for this phenomenon, stating that it is most likely related to the "differential triglyceride storage capacity or lipolysis rates of lower- and upper-body adipocytes".

I don't know if I'd describe this phenomenon as damage tho' - and much depends on your age (using that as a proxy for your probable hormone profile and muscle-building capability) and general activity levels as to whether or not the perceived aesthetic balance of your lower and body can be achieved to your satisfaction.
22 Feb 2015, 14:55
I'm managing maintenance reasonably well, my weight band being between 143lbs and 145lbs. I usually find that it creep towards the top at weekends, then drops back after 2 or 3 days of mindful, considered eating.
I still weigh and record daily and track food with MFP. I'm lucky, I do have time to do this and it focusses me on the meals ahead.
I aim for lowish carbs (about 60g per day) and rarely eat bread (and never have pasta or rice nowadays) and have found, like@carorees that I dare not relax my 'white knuckle grip' as I think it could be the start of the slippery slope down to obesity, from which I might never escape again.
22 Feb 2015, 15:32
Hi @Sassy1 welcome to the February maintaining thread. I'm new to maintaining (2nd month). Having looked at your tracker I'm surprised you have not joined the thread before now. Sorry to hear about your recent upper lower body struggles that must be disappointing after all your hard work - I see @Ssure has posted. My weight loss has been evenly distributed so far. Interested by your comment on the other thread, I have been fortunate - only light PMT, no difficulties with menopause and I started 52 post menopause which might be a significant factor too. I can't say I have adopted any strategies outside the norm (low carb). Even though calories are not counted what I eat is good fresh food and I enjoy it. I don't feel deprived like others describe nor can I say I overindulge. Though I recognise from the experience of others this could change as time passes. At the moment the 'books are balanced' even though the change in season from autumn to winter (November specifically) was a challenge it was not insurmountable. I regret not writing a detailed blog of my journey for others to follow. Perhaps I should start writing a blog, just to give others a better insight to who I am and what I'm eating to maintain and probably as insightful and interesting - what I am no longer eating. I'll give it some thought. All for now.
22 Feb 2015, 16:15
Oddly enough, altho' I'm still within my maintenance range, my weight has gone up to 109lbs so I'd concur with those finding this month difficult.

Now, I think that's because my joint problems are influencing my NEAT as it's becoming a noticeable production to do even simple things like take or replace an item on a shelf and I don't pick up post or things on the floor that I'd previously have done without even registering. I don't carry laundry baskets or rubbish bins arounds (much to my inconvenience and irritation). If I go to a supermarket, I have to use a trolley rather than a basket and ask other shoppers or assistants to reach for various items for me. I'm even in the embarrassing position of having to ask people to open some doors for me (I can open a door that I can lean on but can't pull a door open). I'm sure that all of this adds up.

It's also possible that I have some systemic swelling that isn't outlandishly noticeable in any one place but is more generalised.

I've had to scale back on my beloved paddling/kayaking - it's now been 3 weeks since I've been in a boat and it's wretched. I can't bear being this inactive and I miss the serenity and peace of the water in Winter and the sheer beauty of frost on the river banks.

Some of this may be fluid. Some of it may be fat. I don't know. If more than 50% is fat, it mean that my body fat has probably crossed the mid-20s again which is a pest and not what I wanted before the run of surgery that I have lying ahead. I also fret that my current relative inactivity means that I may be compromising my quantity and quality of muscle mass and that's even before the surgery and rehab. More worryingly, it would also mean that somehow I'm laying down fat at an astonishing rate given my food intake, no matter how much NEAT I may have lost.

But, at this point - I don't know. I've experienced a run of increasing weight within my maintenance range before (it lasted for 6 weeks) but I've never had my weight jump like this in such a short period, nor has it been sustained at the top end of my maintenance range as it has now been for a week.

For me - this is maintenance in all of its tedious reality, particularly if you're older or there are potentially confounding factors. I have no idea if this is a permanent increase and I ought to drop my food intake further to reflect the theoretical drop in NEAT and TDEE (a prospect that I don't welcome) or if this is a temporary blip and I should just wait it out (watchful waiting worked last time).
23 Feb 2015, 02:20
Thanks @SSure (I should have tagged you as well). The information in the link you provided does make sense, more's the pity... Maybe it is the warning I need to stop continued spells of overindulgence in sweet stuff...

Sorry to hear about your joint pain and its consequences. But if anyone can find a way through these, it would be you. :)

And thanks for your post, @Lizbean. I have been in the maintenance tent before, but took myself out when I kept needing to lose weight after those indulgences (have you thought how/ why you don't overindulge - eg do you have any tips for how you stop eating 10 (20??!!) chocolates after having a couple - or don't you even have any to start?). And my initial weight loss was pretty even all over, too, it is just the regain that is the problem. As mentioned above, given the info provided by SSure, I need to treat my experience as a good learning and try to avoid this happening in future!! My basic diet is - and has nearly always been - good fresh food too, but on top of this I add sweet stuff, as it seems to fulfil some need?? I have of course reduced on average my consumption of these foods, but I still want them... And, finally, I must add, congrats to you! :) and please do blog, and include the insights you gain in this thread.

@PennyForthem, thanks for the info on how you manage maintenance. :) I do admire you for keeping the carbs around 60g. My attempts at low carb couldn't reduce them much below 100g, because I "need" some (quite a bit?) sweetness in my diet and fruit is then the best option (I prefer not to have artificial sweeteners). And I can certainly understand how, having lost so much weight, you are determined that it stay that way. Good for you. :D
63 posts Page 3 of 5