The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

40 posts Page 2 of 3
One of the reasons I love 5:2 (hopefully 6:1!) is that you can still include any food you like in your diet.

I continue to eat lots of things that others try to cut out - particularly chocolate, but also crisps, cakes, biscuits, bread... Usually not on a regular basis, apart from chocolate....

I don't intend to give any of these up, but what I do want to do is stop the mindless eating - ie eating them when I don't fancy them or when I know I am full. Have read some of the references from carorees and jools7 to see if I can get an insight into why I do this, but haven't reached a conclusion yet. Biological reasons seem more likely than emotional, but only cos I don't think I do have any major emotional issues at the moment that would cause me to eat when not hungry.

Amazingly - well, I think so - in whatever way I have overindulged, provided I do a couple of fasts in the following week, the weight gained by these overindulgences disappears. But I want to stop these overindulgences for general health and emotional well being reasons.

Not sure this is much help to anyone else!

Btw, what is Haribo Starmix? (Guess I could google it...)
I have always maintained that you do your dieting in the supermarket. If you buy it you will end up eating it. I don't always stick to my rule but do most of the time.
@Sassy1 you are right, this diet does allow you to eat a lot of things, just not on the fast days. I would really like to be able to stick with 6:1 but because I do tend to eat and drink too much Friday-Sunday I seem to need two. Fasting days, although easier, still have not become second nature to me so I'd rather do one a week.

Sassy1 wrote:
Btw, what is Haribo Starmix? (Guess I could google it...)

They're quite chewy gummy bears, egg lookalike gummy bears, little coke bottle gummy bears, etc. Made in Germany and reminds me of my childhood when we were given them as a treat to share on the weekend or special occasions.
Wmr309 wrote: Anyone else having similar issues or do you get on top of it?

I used to have quite a Haribo weakness, but then I saw the photo on this website and I eat a lot less (in fact hardly any) now.
http://haribogelatin.weebly.com/
Here's something else to make you shy away from Haribo. This was posted by Julieathome several months ago, and is, in my opinion, one of the best things I've ever seen on the 'net:
http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Cand ... Descending
Thank you @Franglaise, I am cured. That picture put me right off eating any more of them! The alternative, sugar-free that @WendyJane suggested sound not much better.

I know I should always go for fresh, non-processed foods but the shop I did on Thursday wasn't one of my best. I did it on a fasting day which normally leads to a healthy basket but not last week. It was a bit like preparing for a binge with crisps, biscuits, not the best crackers, and several types of sweets :frown:
@Wmr309, I think we share similar issues!

Luckily I generally don't do the grocery shopping; OH works locally whereas I used to work quite a long way away, so he did the shopping and enjoys it, so still does it even tho I am no longer working. He shops to a list, whereas if I go, a lot of extra things end up in the trolley!!

Best of luck in finding a way you can move to 6:1. :)
I'm joining you this month! I hit my target on Friday, now I'm a little unsure about what to do next. I think I'll still fast on a Monday and keep an eye on the scales for the rest of the week.

It'll seem really odd to eat on a Friday again!! :grin:
Congratulations @radleykitten on hitting your target! We'd love to hear your success story...either here: topic12150.html
or here: 5-2-diet-results-f32/

I must say that the maintenance thing looks like it could be tricky, but at the moment I am concentrating on getting a little wiggle room so maintenance seems a lot like the weight loss phase at the moment!
Have been maintaining this year after a couple of 2 days to combat Christmas and have found it works well. If I put on such as after Easter I find a couple of 2 days fasting gets me back to my goal weight. Another great thing about the 5:2 is the health benefits. Just got my blood test results from a check up our doctors do on the over 40's and nurse said I was in perfect health - Cholesterol was 4.6 (down from 4.9 in 2011 pre fasting), blood glucose 4.9 and blood pressure 120/80. Nurse hadn't heard of the fast diet so I filled her in and she said it obviously works for me. So I will be sticking with maintaining not just to keep the weight off but to keep my levels even.
One week (!) into maintenance and so far so good...despite some indulgent days out with other fastdayers (and having chocolate forced on me by @silverdarling!) my trend weight is 64.9 so keeping below my target of 65kg. I am intending to allow a downwards drift, if it happens, to 63 at most.

However I really popped in here to ask you experienced maintainers to read the articles I wrote about maintenance in the fasting section of the new site and to let me know if you think I've missed anything important (or any other changes).
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/maintenance/
Hi @carorees
I think the articles are excellent (as the rest of the site, which has improved a lot in accessability). It's good to stress that fasting as a permanent way of eating is different from any other 'diet'. The different psychology of not being on a restrictive 'diet' on every day should also make it more easy to maintain. So to me it is also important that you should be very confident that this will work, also in maintenance (a low level of self confidence might play a role in the weight and maintenance problems of many of us). Especially for those with a history in regaining weight after getting to target, this should be encouraging and could reduce their stress when getting to target. Getting a relaxed attitude towards staying on target (and life in general) seems to me an important factor in maintenance success. Of course, getting too relaxed about it might be dangerous as well, hence the need for keeping in touch with your body and the forum. As in most cases in life: a balance is needed, in this case between becoming relaxed and keeping attention and focus. A few more words on the psychology of maintenance might be welcome (I think we are badly in need of some decent research on the psychology of fasting in maintenance)
The articles are great @carorees, and will be able to be added to as the more mainteneers join us and we share the linger journey amongst us.

For me, in maintenance, staying accountable and flexible is key. I was a little disappointed to reach maintenance and find that 6:1 didn't keep me at goal. I've had to (and continue to) play around a lot with my fasting routine to find what does and doesn't work. Similar to the weight loss phase, I guess different combinations of this WOE will work for different people in maintenance too.

You're key points are spot on. Track progress, stay on here for support, be confident in using the tools this WOE gives you when things go off track.

Lovely to have you here amongst the mainteneers Carorees!
Hello I'm still maintaining though I find I do still have to be on the ball and aware. I weigh every day and fast once or twice a week. If I'm low carbing then I probably only need one fast. However this weekend I really really over did the carbs; stuck on a boat with hubby who was cross about his engine with lots of carby food (chosen by him). Been for a run this morning (which went well because of the carbs) and then fasting today, feel like I need to cleanse all that sugary food from my system again. I want to keep on top of the weight and not let it creep up like it did before :)
@carorees Excellent articles! For me the regular weigh in and measurement of waist are the key to staying slim. It is very important to nip any weight gain in the bud asap to avoid the yoyo effect.
I also focus on exercise too, it is very important to be fit. If for some reason I do less exercise (like when I had a rest from my running training) I eat less. Wearing a fitbit or some sort of activity tracker is very useful for keeping an eye on activity and calories burnt and modifying what you eat accordingly. My 2 cents!
40 posts Page 2 of 3