The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

37 posts Page 2 of 3
Tracieknits you'll have no trouble walking in Paris, its the only city that makes my feet hurt!

gingertea I think you're right its the only time I'll be on honeymoon in my whole life!
Paris is overrated, in my opinion but I guess it's because I find this city stressful, which doesn't help. I'd rather walk in London. When I lived there I could walk all day long, goind to the Camden Town market and other goodies. Did the total Oxford street everyday ant it was a looooooong one :cool:

To answer the question, maybe skip breakfast (which I couldn't do every day, by the way) and try to not eat dinner after 8:00 PM. If you want to do a fast, go for it but do not stress out. Maybe try to compensate in other ways. For example, if you know the dinner will be big, try to eat light at lunch, and if the dinner is heavy, try to eat light (without fasting) the next day.

But most of all, relax and enjoy your holidays :grin:
Thanks all for your views and input!

@daisykitten - enjoy your vacation without guilt - a honeymoon is really a special occasion!
( My OH thought that the saved money should be used for a new bathroom instead of belated honeymoon.... Well heck, I might go on my own!)

I'm slowly realizing that I probably will need to be on 5:2 forever to maintain. But during holidays I will try to fit in one proper fast day and then try to save calories in other ways - skipping an odd meal and exercising more.

The scales showed an increase of 2 kilos since last week so it's not the right time to be wreckless :-)
I would forget about diets and enjoy the experience. Honeymoons don't happen that ofton. As you have been doing this diet for a while I think your body will tell you how much to eat. If you overendulge one day and don't feel hungery the next; go with it; eat very little that day.
It would be such a pity when you think back about your honeymoon; your fasting days come to mind
You may put on a few pounds but have the rest of the year to lose and hopefully you will not have another honeymoon next year :wink:
I haven't yet done a holiday since starting 5:2 (it was over-indulging on the last holiday that brought me to this WoE in the first place!) but I would think that if you can skip breakfast and otherwise walk as much as you can you should be able to avoid the worst weight gain. I'm trying to plan a short-notice holiday for us in August and this is entering into my thinking.
daisykitten wrote: Tracieknits you'll have no trouble walking in Paris, its the only city that makes my feet hurt!

gingertea I think you're right its the only time I'll be on honeymoon in my whole life!

And might I point out...there are other ways of exercising besides walking! :wink:

It's your honeymoon, after all.
I'm just back from a holiday/working and wondered what to do before I went as I had been 4:3ing and shredding in an effort to kick start things again. My first stint was in Glasgow staying with a friend and I managed 16:8 no problem. This was a big surprise as I have always eaten breakfast and am ravenous for it after a fast day. So that was good. I managed a 'proper' fast on my travelling day to Paris as the food at the venue was awful and I had decided it would be 16:8. Kept to 16:8 until the weekend in Paris and then all went to pot and I so enjoyed it.
Back to Englandshire and managed 16:8 again so was doing rather well. Then came home, and it's been messy. I have so enjoyed it , walked miles and don't care! I don't feel as though my clothes are any different and won't weigh or measure again until I'm well back into the swing of it.
So, I would suggest having a few strategies to fall back on , but more importantly to enjoy yourself. Although it was messy, it wasn't big messy as my appetite just doesn't allow too much now , so I could taste something or share or even not finish it!
This way of life is so adaptable that it can accommodate holidays so enjoy it.
Janeg glad to hear you got home safely and that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday, with not too much damage done.
Re the thread I find it quite easy to skip breakfast on holiday, with a nice lazy slow start and then lots of new and interesting things to see it is 1or 2pm before you know it. Have a great time if you put on any weight it will come off quickly as new weight usually does.
I think it all depends where you're going - my best holiday foodwise was Northern India as I found the food, almost exclusively vegetarian, delicious but light and satisfying at the same time. The times I have put on the most weight have been when it's all inclusive, just brings out the piggy in me and I tend to stuff myself. :curse: Also find Stateside quite tough, as there are so many superb seafood restaurants with enormous portions! The desserts, which I don't usually bother with, are, in the words of my granddaughter in Texas, AWESOME (and very calorific!) Saying that I have recently been away, just in Scotland, and indulged disgracefully in huge full Scottish breakfasts complete with black pudding and tattie scones, fish and chips most lunch times and three course dinners most nights washed down with plenty of wine and of course a wee dram nightcap! I have gained a few pounds granted, but had a great time and have complete faith I will start losing again soon, thanks to 5.2! If you don't have many holidays and really want to enjoy it I would just enjoy the food experiences and get back on track when you get home :smile: otherwise, just stick to the 5.2 or 6.1 and enjoy your holiday!
Agree with the above,I did a 10 day all inclusive in April (started 5:2 at end of January).

I took a rest from the diet for the holiday and was shocked to see upon my return a 6 lb increase (I'd only lost 10 lb in total by that stage). However, returning to the diet, it didn't take too long to return to where I was before the holiday. (I'm now 17 lb down and looking at my progess tracker, I have experienced a pretty typical rate of weight loss)

I would relax and enjoy a break - from everything. I'm off for a couple of weeks in Turkey soon. I expect that the combination of pide, gözleme and Efes will be pretty devastating, but I wouldn't miss them for the world.
Because I have lost weight so slowly on the plan I am concerned about weight gain on my hols but I dont see why I shouldnt enjoy myself. Will see if I can stick to 16/8 because I cant see myself doing 5:2 in Turkey!
I'm just planning my fast days around my week holiday, day before we leave and day we return, I'm sure I can't do much damage in a week. I have stopped eating breakfast all together since fasting for two months and problem is our hotel includes fullbuffet breakfast! holidays are for enjoying and I think you'll find your appetite has reduced anyway. Paris is awesome, have a great time!
I'm feeling pretty pleased with my weight-loss so far. But I am now on holiday in the UK and I'm finding it hard to stick to my routine. I am still eating much less than I used to Andes are walking around a lot (my job is very sedentary) so I'm probably not too bad ... But it will be tricky. We are meeting up with friends in a few days who eat and drink with abandon and this will be the real challenge.

Can someone describe the 16:8 plan? I'm not familiar with that and it might help me stay focussed.
Hello barbmac-eales
16:8 is eating within an 8 hour window in the day- all calories consumed within the 8 hours. Practically, it tends to work out as no breakfast and then eating about lunch time and finishing all eating about 9 pm'ish.
There is usually a thread running about it ( if you do a wee search it'll come up)
Some folk are combining it with 5:2 and doing it on 3 other days , leaving hte weekend free for eating normally, some are doing it for maintenance having reached their goal and some are giving it a go for holiday time.
I did it while on a working holiday and found it surprisingly easy in Paris and England, but Scottish breakfasts were irresistible! Haven't weighed so don't know if any damage has been done but my clothes are still fitting...
Hope this helps- remember though that this is a way of eating for life so a blip over the holidays isn't major. Enjoy yourself!
37 posts Page 2 of 3