The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 6 of 19
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19 Next
You are all ganging up on me now, aren't you? Actually, nothing is off limits in my life, no food group is excluded, if I want it I have it it's just that we don't often buy bread, well, loaves to be exact. Yesterday, we each had three brown rolls with lashings of butter and hot chicken and salad and it was fab. Toast is so more-ish that I would live on nothing else given half a chance and too much bread too often does give us both heartburn/indigestion, but deprived, ME? I think not, enjoy your TOAST ladies, :grin:

Ballerina x :heart:
I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of French TOAST, Just give me a doorstop, preferably an outsider, toasted nice and dark brown then absolutely slathered with butter, mmmmm Might have to send hubs out for a loaf :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
I also don't buy bread very often now - except some weekends! We have a lovely artisan bakery stall at the Friday farmer's market, just across the road from where I work, and they do the most wonderful bread ... hard to resist! :bugeyes: (Wish they did own butter as well!) :razz:

BTW, the name of the baker is 'Zen Baker' - how cool is that?? :cool:

So Ballerina, we just have to be all 'zen' about our bread and TOAST eating LOLOLOL!!
I don't buy bread either. I usually make it for a special dinner. I always have pitta bread in my freezer though.

Silverdarling, there is a Greek equivalent of French toast and it's called "slices" (from the slices of bread that are used). You mix eggs, milk and a pinch of baking soda, dip the bread, fry it in butter (what else) and then serve it either with sugar and cinnamon or with spoon dessert.
I might have toast one e a week these days, which is amazing considering it was my go to breakfast about 4 times a week pre 5:2. We really are changing our eating and probably better off without too many carbs
image.jpg
The Silverdarling Special once-in-a-blue-moon Sunday morning TOASTfest ... Now no more, :grin: :shock: :grin:
@ TML - what you posted about bread and sugar transported me right back to growing up in Govan - When we got hungry we would shout up at the tenement window to "oor hoose" - mammy, can I have a pieca and jam? then you would wait for the *piece^ to be chucked out the window, a piece of bread wrapped in greaseproof paper, from the plain bread wrapper, and if no jam was available (often the case) it would be bread with stork or butter dipped in sugar!
dhana wrote: @ TML - what you posted about bread and sugar transported me right back to growing up in Govan - When we got hungry we would shout up at the tenement window to "oor hoose" - mammy, can I have a pieca and jam? then you would wait for the *piece^ to be chucked out the window, a piece of bread wrapped in greaseproof paper, from the plain bread wrapper, and if no jam was available (often the case) it would be bread with stork or butter dipped in sugar!

My dad's memories exactly! I don't like the crunch-crunch of sugar in my mouth, that's why I don't appreciate sugar coated bread and stuff. Gimme jam on buttered toast any minute though! I used to go to a certain supermarket which imported English sliced bread and I got it and ate one loaf in 4 days. Sadly they don't import it anymore. :cry: :confused: :curse:
Can I try to pour some oil on troubled waters here? I think there is room for all of us on here with all our diverse opinions, experiences and knowledge. Food is such an intrinsic part of all our lives that it is only natural that we feel very passionately about it. I am pretty sure that most of us on this forum have gained knowledge about food that we would have been most unlikely to find out about from other sources, and in an interesting and fun way. I think a lot of posters on here have changed some of their food habits, some very much so, and others just haven't seen the need. Change is a choice and giving up the pleasures of certain foods is necessary to those of us with medical conditions, and as for the majority who are in good health, I am sure the 5.2 is improving their health with the weight loss and encouraging them to make healthier food choices.
Whether people choose to low carb, low fat, high fat, eliminate sugar or eat bread and cakes to their heart's content let us be more tolerant.
There is more than enough room on this excellent forum for serious AND
lighthearted posts!!
Well said, dhana! I have kept my head down on this particular topic, but am finding the fact that is getting a little too personal rather distasteful.'Play nice' everyone! There is room for a variety of opinions and we should all able to read other people's points of view and then make our own decisions and choices.
Dhana, I agree with you with all my heart.
I understand that people with certain health issues have to avoid certain foods (I avoid broad beans because I am allergic to them) and I also understand if a person wants to make healthier food choices assuming they were making unhealthy ones in the past.
What I really don't get, and I really try, is why we must all get convinced that our choices are unhealthy because they are unhealthy according to some people.
Dunno, perhaps, as Chipmunkcheeks says, I'm thick. As I told a friend a while ago, perhaps I'm neither sensible nor clever!
This thread inspired me to change my signature! :-)
... And the purple goes with your avatar :grin: how tasteful :razz: :wink:
Oh TNL! You are so NAUGHTY, you need a good spanking! Where's that doctor, maybe he can give you a kick up the ...with his three pairs of shoes. :lol: you are totally irrepressible!!
Where's my post gone? I didn't write anything bad. Feel like I've been naughty now :frown:
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19 Next
275 posts Page 6 of 19