The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 9 of 19
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19 Next
I must be missing something ~ I have never eaten a tattle scone. That means I need a recipe for them. Can anyone oblige?
Gillymary, I make them by eye and feel when I have leftover mashed potatoes, it is approx. 4 times the amount of mash to one of flour, a bit of salt and enough melted butter to give you a stiffish dough, roll it out fairly thin and fry gently for a few minutes each side. I looked up Jamie Olivers recipe for Glasgow tattie scones and he's tarted it up with eggs, chives and cheese. lord knows why, not necessary ino. Nessie, I had to smile about bread and butter in Edinburgh and demerera sugar, instead of white. How very fancy! No wonder we Glaswegians think you're all very posh!! :grin:

Edited to add I always make them and eat them right away, but if you want to keep them for later or to freeze pop them under a grill for about 3 mins each side. some people eat them like this with butter, but I like them fried with eggs and even better bacon fat.
I remember it well! I can hardly believe it's not bu.. become more popular I mean :smile: Actually, it amazes me that I still have any teeth, all of them in fact, ok so held together by fillings, but considering the Glasgow diet (of yesteryear I hasten to add) it's quite a feat! :grin:
Condensed milk ... Whenever I make something with condensed I always make sure I make myself a cuppa and milk it with the condensed milk. Even did it once on a fast day
We recently took our first Charlotte potatoes from the vegetable patch and they were delicious served with butter - so good that I can't even remember what the rest of the meal was!
When I was growing up in Glasgow, Edinburgh folk were known as 'pan loaf' people because this bread was more expensive and folk who ate it fancied themselves as something special :shock: :grin: :grin: :grin: Can you believe it? Do they still sell pan loaves in Scotland?

Ballerina x :heart:
I think so, Sunblest. remember "plain loaf" that's still going strong and makes the best fried bread in the world!
I remember it was either 'plain' or 'pan' hence the daft expression. I clearly remember my mother talking about some snooty neighbour and saying, " she is awfy 'pan loaf' " it was quite a common expression back in the days of the Boer war, don't tell me you can't remember that either?
:shock:
Ballerina x :heart:
Ballerina, dearest, use yer loaf. of course I can!! :grin: :grin:
dhana wrote: I make them by eye and feel when I have leftover mashed potatoes,

:shock: Never had any leftover, grew up with 5 brothers and 2 sisters, rarely had anything leftover. :lol:
@Dhana Do you think your tattie scones recipe would work with mashed cauliflower? :?: I think my BF's BG could handle a bit of flour to make these but the flour and potato would be too high glycemic for him.
@ Betsygr8 - Hmmm, I guess the only way to find out is to give it a go. have to say it doesn't sound too appealing, but that said, I made Fat dog's cauli based pizza, and it was pretty good, and surprisingly did not taste of cauliflower. The texture might disappoint as mash is pretty smooth. I have made tattie scones with leftover mash and swede, usually from a haggis supper, and they are very moreish. So I would say go for it (and please post results)!
Had to look up demerara sugar, found this on wisegeek.org

Demerara sugar is a type of unrefined sugar with a large grain and a pale to golden yellow color. It is suitable for a number of cooking and baking projects, and tends to be very popular as a sweetener for tea and coffee. Many grocers stock demerara sugar along with other specialty sugars, often in small packages for consumers who simply want to experiment with it. It is also ubiquitous in coffee houses, often in single serving packets along with other sweeteners.

The sugar is named after a once-colonized area in the now-independent country of Guyana, which first began producing and selling the sugar in large volume. The bulk of demerara production now takes place on the island of Mauritius, but the name appears to have endured. It is extracted primarily from sugar cane, rather than sugar beets, and tends to be more expensive than refined sugars as a result. The minimal processing gives demerara sugar a unique flavor and texture.

To make demerara sugar, sugar producers press sugar cane and steam the juice of the first pressing to form thick cane syrup. The cane syrup is allowed to dehydrate, leaving behind large golden brown crystals of sugar. Demerara sugar is not refined, so it has a rich, creamy, molasses-like flavor which enhances baked goods. The large grains also remain crunchy through cooking, which makes demerara sugar a great choice of sprinkled topping on scones and similar dishes which might otherwise have a uniform texture.

I remember having a slice of bread and butter with sugar sprinkled on it when I was a kid, that was a treat!
Why am I reading this thread again ... on a fast day ... it is making me far too hungry!

Worst of all I have about a quarter of a homemade sourdough loaf left at home and that would go so nicely toasted and spread thickly with salted butter. Tomorrow, tomorrow.

There's a Finnish spread made with hard boiled eggs mashed up with salted butter. Much nicer than it sounds! Traditionally you have it with little rye pasties filled with mashed potato or rice but I imagine it would work very nicely on potato scones/farls.
dhana wrote: Gillymary, I make them by eye and feel when I have leftover mashed potatoes, it is approx. 4 times the amount of mash to one of flour, a bit of salt and enough melted butter to give you a stiffish dough, roll it out fairly thin and fry gently for a few minutes each side.

My mom used to make these for me all the time. She called them Swedish pancakes - although I don't know why, because she also made proper Swedish pancakes that are kind of a cross between French crepes and American flapjacks. Her father emigrated from Sweden and this is some of the rare Swedish food we all enjoyed :razz:
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19 Next
275 posts Page 9 of 19