The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

83 posts Page 5 of 6
Drink green tea...lovely coffee and zero Sobe (0 calorie vitamin water with lots of flavor but no bad things--I hope).
I discovered a new fast day nibbble! Korean Kim Chi

Ive always like Asian delicacies and yesterday on a feast day i was walking past an Asian shop and bought some and i was surprised when i happened to look at the calories how little it is.

If you dont know what it is... the pic, on my new favourite online calorie counter
http://www.caloriegallery.com/foods/cal ... kimchi.htm
Just 50g is quite a bit and its only 13 calories

heres the wiki on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

its also nutritional. excert from wiki article

Kimchi is made of various vegetables and contains a high concentration of dietary fiber,[16][17] while being low in calories. One serving also provides over 50% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C and carotene. Most types of kimchi contain onions, garlic, and chilli peppers, all of which are salutary. The vegetables used in kimchi also contribute to its overall nutritional value. Kimchi is rich in vitamin A, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), calcium, and iron,[18][19] and contains a number of lactic acid bacteria, among those the typical species Lactobacillus kimchii. Health magazine named kimchi in its list of top five "World's Healthiest Foods" for being rich in vitamins, aiding digestion, and even possibly reducing cancer growth
Old thread but found it interesting. Just what I needed, some diff ideas on what to eat on fast days. I have been having for my lunch 100gm pickled gherkins and 100gm cherry tomatoes. works out at 53?? calories. If still unsatisfied I have a miso soup at 28 cals. Don't know what i'm going to eat once my tomato plants have finished, they're on their last legs now
My latest addiction is home made sauerkraut - 100g (which I think = one cup = 8oz), is roughly 20 calories. It's delicious, filling and full of good bacteria!!
rawkaren wrote: Seasnax (chipotle flavour) http://www.seasnax.com/SeaSnax_c_1.html

they look yum. don't think anything like it here in Australia.

since posting about Kimchi in June (which btw i dont consume.. i guess i have to be in the "mood") my new fast day nibble is a spoon or two of cottage cheese. Gives me protein and calcium in one hit. I do have to control the urge though as yesterday on a fast day I "accidentally" consumed 1/2 a tub.. oops. no wonder i gained a bit of weight int the 24 hours.. :shock: Guilt.
I just try and not have anything but water until my dinner on fast days as snacking is what got me into my unhealthy weight gain in the first place. I have been known to have a half a chicken oxo in the afternoon a couple of times but it was cold.
Brand-ie wrote: I just try and not have anything but water until my dinner on fast days as snacking is what got me into my unhealthy weight gain in the first place. I have been known to have a half a chicken oxo in the afternoon a couple of times but it was cold.

I find it really hard to be completely food free and when i started 5:2 would eat low cal things all day, skipping breakfast and lunch. then after a few months tried the nothing but found i had difficulty concentrating if working at computer. So i discovered cottage cheese as a great thing to "break the fast". Nothing else. stopped doing the fruit pieces as thats too much sugar in one hit. I think cottage cheese is "safe".. my thread on cottage cheese foodies-f31/your-thoughts-on-cottage-cheese-t11362.html
Brand-ie is right: it's best to avoid snacks of you can. The longer you go without any calories on a fast day the better your weight loss will be. Try to have at least 12 hours with no calories, preferably more. People who fasted for 20 hours or more lost significantly more weight per week than those who fasted for 12 hours or less, according to our analysis of the questionnaire completed by forum members last year.
I have an obsession these days with cornichons.http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-cornichons-117240I usually have them after my dinner :grin:
mmmmmmmmmmm want rice cakes and celery now...

My fav nibble has been 50 calories worth of strawberries, think I will change it now...
I'm bumping this old thread because I discovered a new 'snack' last night. On my fasting days I like to save a few calories for a snack before bedtime. Usually this is 100g of strawberries or raspberries or a low cal hot chocolate. Last night I found hubby and son has snarfed all the berries. I cast around for something else low cal and discovered a bag of white mushrooms in the fridge. I sliced up 100g with a little salt. That made quite a big bowl full which was filling and provided lots of chewing which makes me feel like I am eating a lot and only 13 calories!
Yes I enjoy my berries when the family haven't snaffled them all. I seriously love mushrooms but can't abide them raw!
My favorite snack is very thin 70% dark chocolate piece. It never seems to affect my weight loss. Jut now, though, I have given it up until September, because I noticed I began to crave it. Not good! Instead I have been using a no calorie, fizzy, fruit drink ( small amounts mixed with water).
While I try not to snack, even on normal days (sometimes it's hard to stop!), here are my standbys:
• Veggie broth (natural broth cube) with a tiny dollop of coconut oil
• Popcorn--the bagged kind, cals less than 50 per cup
• Plain fat free Greek yogurt and fruit
• Hardboiled egg (or poached if I'm desperate and didn't hardboil eggs)

A good late afternoon "meal" (I don't have dinner till 9pm or later) is a spinach salad with low cal dressing (careful it's not full of sugar), hardboiled egg, cucumber, radish if I have, tomato, raw white mushrooms...you get the idea. Lots of chewing for less than 200 cals.
83 posts Page 5 of 6