The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

67 posts Page 3 of 5
Re: funny food
12 Oct 2013, 19:10
MaryAnn wrote: Isn't there something in England called bubble and squeak? That always made me laugh. My Grandma used to make a kind of messy apple cobbler/crumble that she called apple crap. My nieces' grandma makes something she calls blueberry yum yum.

MaryAnne i ate some bubble and squeak earlier today..its leftover potatoes,cabbage and onion fried up and its delicious! :razz:
12 Oct 2013, 19:15
Following on from Julies question how did trifle get its name..
I dont know, but I' ll never forget a very fat woman on a tv programme where they were trying to help her and her family lose weight
They asked her if she could name a low calorie food and after a long pause,she said," Trifle?"
I can see her line of logic..it must have a trifling amount of cals
Only wish that was true..
12 Oct 2013, 19:19
'specially if it's done in dripping!! Apologies to fasters, but if there is a tastier fat I want to know about it!!
Aaah! bless the trifle lady, wishful thinking?
12 Oct 2013, 19:22
Julie'salready mentioned my Liverpool dish,Scouse..and yes it gets tastier and thicker by the day..gorgeous with crusty buttered bread!
There is also a cake in Liverpool known as Wet Nellies!
Very heavy and stodgy and damp!
12 Oct 2013, 19:40
Toad in the hole anyone?
12 Oct 2013, 19:57
I adore toad in the hole! Do it with "proper" sausages, at least 85 per cent meat, something like toulouse sausage and it can taste better than steak!
12 Oct 2013, 20:01
We had bubble tonight. Only thing was it was ready made in patties from M&S (for quickness) been out all day. It was yummy but not like the real thing which tastes all the better for being a bit burned
12 Oct 2013, 20:04
pigs in a blanket
12 Oct 2013, 20:11
Here you go Julie
The earliest use of the name trifle was for a thick cream flavoured with sugar, ginger and rosewater, the recipe for which was published in England, 1596, in a book called "The good huswife's Jewell" by Thomas Dawson. Sixty years later eggs were added and the custard was poured over alcohol soaked bread.
Research indicates it evolved from a similar dessert known as a fool or foole, and originally the two names were used interchangeably.
While some people consider the inclusion of jelly to be a recent variation, the earliest known recipe to include jelly dates from 1747.

A trifle is often used for decoration as well as taste, incorporating the bright, layered colours of the fruit, jelly, jam, and the contrast of the creamy yellow custard and white cream. Trifles are often served at Christmas time, sometimes as a lighter alternative to the much denser Christmas pudding.

As for Toad, rawkaren, that has been Christmas Dinner of choice for us for the last few years. Made with really good quality sausages, in lieu of fresh toads :wink: , and in a roasting tin, accompanied by all the traditional (Chrstmas) trimmings.
12 Oct 2013, 20:18
@ Betsy love pigs in blankets, we usually only have them here at Christmas, and it's mad because everybody loves them, much more than the actual Christmas turkey. :?:
12 Oct 2013, 20:28
Wow, all that stuff about trifle - fascinating, and so far back in time! I am reading Hilary Mantel at the moment and it's amazing that at the time of Henry the Eighth that all these recipes were flying around!! Adore trifle, especially my late auntie Tessie's, very generous with the sherry, deelish! It was sort of contraband as we (the children) weren't allowed it and had jelly instead, but I had a very naughty older cousin.....'nuff said!
12 Oct 2013, 20:33
Wonder whether the Tudors put ale into trifle?? Not sure what alcohol they would've had ... Certainly not sherry!
12 Oct 2013, 21:33
In Cornwall they have raw fry and by the way stargazy pie is a Cornish dish not a Devon one!
12 Oct 2013, 23:01
Have you heard if SOS - sh*t on a shingle? It's meat (chipped beef or sausage) in a white sauce served on toast. I think it's a military mess hall thing. My Dad loved it. My mother's version with tuna was the only close to edible for me.
13 Oct 2013, 05:00
Well, for funny, bizarre, weird food names, I think the Brits win this one hands down. The only dishes I recognize in the thread are pigs in a blanket and SOS (which I've heard of, but not sure who eats this?). Oh, and when I was a kid we'd get something ready made called Welsh Rarebit, but I haven't had it since. Could someone post a recipe link?
67 posts Page 3 of 5