The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

67 posts Page 4 of 5
Re: funny food
13 Oct 2013, 06:12
And people think Vegemite is weird mmmmmmmm..........
13 Oct 2013, 07:56
@wendyjane this is the jazzed up version, but principle is the same - add ale or beer to cheese with a dash of worcester sauce. You can also have it with bacon or an egg on top (or both!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/perfe ... ebit_13772

It's a typical 'tea-time' meal ...
13 Oct 2013, 09:37
I have just remembered faggots.
13 Oct 2013, 10:34
Love faggots :smile: How about angels on horseback? Aka dátiles con bacon :grin: :grin:
13 Oct 2013, 15:07
Good link here with pics of some British dishes with strange names. May give any non-British members a better idea of what we've been talking about on this thread. :razz: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... me=2528068
13 Oct 2013, 15:22
I grew up in Nova Scotia and one of my favorite desserts was blueberry grunt - hot sweetened, stewed wild blueberries with dumplings on top, served with ice cream. I wonder if it has British origins as lots of Nova Scotians are descendants of Scotland, Ireland, etc
13 Oct 2013, 15:26
Welcome judthn, not heard of that dish before but love blueberries (and dumplings!).
13 Oct 2013, 16:14
That's a new one on me too - was the grunt the man of the house enjoying his pudding? :grin:
When I lived stateside, upstate N.Y. I loved the names of the cakes and pies, my neighbour was a wonderful baker and made a treacle tart that she called shoo fly pie, pound cake and a sort of cinnamon biscuit she called snickerdoodles. Yumm, I can taste them now, very moreish!
13 Oct 2013, 20:11
Steaming the jam roly poly in an old shirt sleeve. What a good idea.
13 Oct 2013, 20:24
The clootie (cloth) used to make clootie dumpling was usually taken from an old work shirt with a long tail, and any little holes didn't matter too much because the clootie is well floured before adding the dumpling mix. Just can't imagine people nowadays using old clothes to cook with - not when Lakeland sells something for £30 to do a worse job!!
13 Oct 2013, 21:29
Fish head curry - Bengali delicacy.

Just out of interest, how do you rate yourself for squeamishness about food? If 1=very adventurous and 10=extremely squeamish, I'd say I'm a 1. I'll try pretty much anything at least once!
13 Oct 2013, 21:33
I'd probably rate myself as a conservative 8 although I have become a bit more adventurous as I've got older. Off the top of my head three things I could never bring myself to try are tripe, oysters and black pudding! :sick: :shutmouth:
13 Oct 2013, 21:49
shachat wrote: Fish head curry - Bengali delicacy.

Just out of interest, how do you rate yourself for squeamishness about food? If 1=very adventurous and 10=extremely squeamish, I'd say I'm a 1. I'll try pretty much anything at least once!

When we were in Mysore (near Bangalore in South India, for non-Indians), the curries had the whole fish in them also, a chunk of head, chunk of middle, chunk of tail. I couldn't bring myself... We were at a buffet, so I could politely spoon myself some with a middle chunk..

Since I'm not going near any of the things on @callyanna's list, or haggis for that matter, I guess I'm not any better than about a 5. But my husband is a 9 and frustrates me with his pickiness (don't tell him I said so!).
13 Oct 2013, 21:56
dhana wrote: That's a new one on me too - was the grunt the man of the house enjoying his pudding? :grin:
When I lived stateside, upstate N.Y. I loved the names of the cakes and pies, my neighbour was a wonderful baker and made a treacle tart that she called shoo fly pie, pound cake and a sort of cinnamon biscuit she called snickerdoodles. Yumm, I can taste them now, very moreish!

FIgures a Brit would have to remind me of a couple of our colorful food names (though I wouldn't think pound cake was colorful - don't you have pound cake?). Shoo fly pie is a regional thing, but I think all Americans are familiar with snickerdoodles.
13 Oct 2013, 22:29
That's made me think of hummingbird cake. It has pineapple and bananas inside and coconut on top. No idea why it is called hummingbird cake.

Back in the old days, diners used to have funny names for sandwiches. Lorelei and Rory were using these when they helped Luke out at the diner on Gilmore Girls. I'm trying to find a link to a list...
67 posts Page 4 of 5