The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

67 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: funny food
12 Oct 2013, 14:37
Stayed overnight in a b and b right near there, just off the M74! Was on way to Wigtown book festival. It seems a really nice area and would like to go back to explore more :grin:
12 Oct 2013, 14:41
It is really beautiful there, I love going there- make a change from busy London. Jamie's pub is right next to the river Annan and when you sit out on the deck in the summer it's such a glorious sight. You should totally go back and explore that area xx
12 Oct 2013, 14:43
On the subject of funny food, Hubs and I were having a pub lunch once and I wanted the potato skins, they came in 6 or 10 pieces but I was also tempted by some other dishes? hubs got bored by my dithering, confiscated the menu and hassled me to make a choice and in my flustered state I couldn't remember how many pieces there were so I announced that............."I will have 4 skins" :shock:

We still laugh at the deafening silence that followed that one :grin:

Ballerina x :heart:
12 Oct 2013, 14:49
Silver darling. Ballerina might like a stottie I'd she is craving toast. I'm in Newcastle today and just got back from Pan Haggerty for lunch.(and yes it was on the menu) Spooky!
12 Oct 2013, 14:52
Ballerina - :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Daydreamer - I do love these places that are forgotten about, but close to other areas that are better known. If the area round Ecclefechan was not near 1. The Lakes 2. SW Scotland coast, Galloway etc. 3. Hadrian's Wall and Tynedale, 4. Kielder Forest - it would be full of day trippers etc. As it is, people just journey through on the way to somewhere else. Will definitely make time to explore - it is after all only just over an hour from me, and I thought it was lovely and quiet and un-messed about with (can't say that about some areas of my own county YORKSHIRE these days - humph! :curse: )
12 Oct 2013, 18:00
Adore cranachan, no honey in it though.!
Also smuggle Stornoway black pudding and haggis into the sandpit.
Make my own tattie scones and oatcakes though.
And, joy of joys, I can now get diet Bru here.
Now, do you put onions in your clapshot?
12 Oct 2013, 18:09
Janeg, you naughty girl indeed! Smuggling haggis!! (don't blame you, remember years ago when I wa in Sana'a haggis was brought in by one of the airline crew for St. Andrew's night and we, three Scots fell on them like ravening wolves!!)
I don't put onion in clapshot, my granny always did it with sybies and I've stuck to that...haven't had clapshot for ages, love it especially with ham ribs from the soup pot!
12 Oct 2013, 18:25
rawkaren wrote: Silver darling. Ballerina might like a stottie I'd she is craving toast. I'm in Newcastle today and just got back from Pan Haggerty for lunch.(and yes it was on the menu) Spooky!

Spooky indeed! I think for @Ballerina it's toast or nothing!
12 Oct 2013, 18:30
There are always the Welsh dishes, such as Bara Brith which is a sort of lightly fruited tea bread.
Welsh rarebit - A version of cheese on toast
Lava bread - Seaweed and oats made into a pattie and fried.

Then there is Scows (or scouse) from North wales and Liverpool areas. A lamb stew made from the breast of lamb (with bones) lots of potatoes, onions and carrots. Its was a poor mans stew. The scouse got better as it aged. The way it worked was that it was started on the Monday, everyone had a ladle of the scows, then more potatoes, onions and carrots were added, this was repeated each day till the weekend. By the weekend all that was left was a sort of gloopy potato and carrot soup with bones.

My Dad used to make a bread pudding that he called 'Guger' (pronounced Goojer). I have no idea where that came from.
12 Oct 2013, 18:36
Isn't there something in England called bubble and squeak? That always made me laugh. My Grandma used to make a kind of messy apple cobbler/crumble that she called apple crap. My nieces' grandma makes something she calls blueberry yum yum.
12 Oct 2013, 18:38
Ahh! Bubble and squeak. Its such a part of life here I never thought of it as being an unusual name. Its a great way to use up left over veg.
12 Oct 2013, 18:44
What about Yorkshire Curd Tart -

http://britishfood.about.com/od/cakesan ... rdtart.htm

Still got the fruit in but the curds give it a unique taste
12 Oct 2013, 18:56
Love, love bubble and squeak, wonder where the bubble bit comes from, think the squeak is from the cabbage, that noise it makes when you put it into the hot fat? Aren't there any other countries with names for certain dishes - on a holiday to Istanbul I had Imam Bayaldi, which you get all over the middle East, a delish, divine concoction from Aubergines, and it translates as the imam fainted, supposedly with delight at the exquisite taste of the dish! :grin:
12 Oct 2013, 18:59
Continuing on this line of thought, why was trifle named trifle. Who or what was trifling with whom and how did the desert come into it?
12 Oct 2013, 19:04
And doesn't the Italian tiramisu translate as 'lift or pull me up'?
67 posts Page 2 of 5