The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

67 posts Page 1 of 5
funny food
12 Oct 2013, 12:13
Do you have a special name for any of the food you eat, like Spotted Dick for example, which is a steamed suet pudding with currants. :?:
I'll start the ball rolling with haggis, neeps and tatties which we eat year round in my house and always on Burns night.
Haggis is a mix of offal, suet, oatmeal and spices traditionally boiled in the lining of a sheep's stomach, accompanied by mashed turnips (confusingly called swedes in England) and potatoes. tastes much nicer than it sounds!! :smile:
Re: funny food
12 Oct 2013, 12:17
My boyfriend lives in Scotland and when I go to visit him people in the village try to get me to eat haggis. He assures me it's nice but there is NO way I'm going to be eating that lol
12 Oct 2013, 13:10
Haggis is great :lol: as is Stornoway black pudding. But give me cranachan any day :lol: :lol: :lol:
12 Oct 2013, 13:40
...and Cullen Skink and have you eaten Rumbledethumps? My friend from Devon introduced me to Stargazey Pie and wouldn't tell me what it was until she cooked it for us - love the name and the pie!!
I'm sure there must be peculiar names for familiar ingredients in other countries too or is it just we Brits?
I finally got round to making my clootie dumpling and the house reeks, (but in a good way!!) :razz:
12 Oct 2013, 13:47
Oh yes had forgotten Cullen Skink, actually ate it first in Cullen as well :lol: could do with some now come to think of it!
12 Oct 2013, 13:56
Dear God, I'm going to have to pass on this thread before I pass out! :shock: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has been mentioned yet that does not make my stomach heave, :frown: in fact I'm going to have to go, bye everyone, see you all on another thread, :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
12 Oct 2013, 14:01
Come back Ballerina.

Butteries. I think they hail from Aberdeen. They are not a danish pastry or a pancake but something inbetween. They are plain and despite there name you spread butter on them and have it with your cuppa at elevenses at work - well that's what I do. This is what this is what they look like -

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ibardolazachee.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/2440553477_f479f0b78a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ibardolazachee.wordpress.com/&h=194&w=259&sz=1&tbnid=vy1dNEEsTivsHM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&zoom=1&usg=__kATN-qS2PrrejnPNyMQFf6deEg4=&docid=Gafh5sjYFSAkuM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=d1VZUvTVNYic0AX26oC4Bg&ved=0CIYBEPwdMAo
12 Oct 2013, 14:08
@ Ballerina, are you sure you're Scottish? Hee, hee!
@ Izzie, I don't use finnan haddie in soup, although some people do -smoked haddock undyed is best imo and does not overpower the milk/cream and leeks and potatoes. I love finnan haddie, my grandfather was from Aberdeen and I lived with my grandparents as a child and we had it often. it has a much smokier taste and is heavenly mashed with a bit of crowdie or butter, almost like a pate. Don't know how to make that acute thingy!!
OMG @ Wildmissus, Butteries (or as some people call them Salties!!) We don't see them here very much, they're another northern delight my Grandpa used to bring back from Aberdeen. I LOVE them.
I'm not familiar with pan heggarty, sounds interesting though.
12 Oct 2013, 14:15
Pan haggerty
http://britishfood.about.com/od/psrecip ... ggerty.htm
Potatoes, onions, cheese - one of those working class dishes ...

One NE dish I can't stand though is PEASE PUDDING! Yuk!
12 Oct 2013, 14:16
Ballerina wrote: Dear God, I'm going to have to pass on this thread before I pass out! :shock: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has been mentioned yet that does not make my stomach heave, :frown: in fact I'm going to have to go, bye everyone, see you all on another thread, :lol:

Bet that will be the thread where toast has been mentioned :grin: :lol: :grin: :lol: :grin:
12 Oct 2013, 14:19
The cook in my bf's pub makes 'Ecclefechan tart' which is actually really tasty but it just makes me laugh when someone says they want the "Fechan tart"
12 Oct 2013, 14:21
Pan haggerty sounds very similar to rumbledethumps - I like to use turnips (swede) in place of or half and half with potatoes, delish!
12 Oct 2013, 14:25
Glad to see you are feeling better Silverdarling! you are getting naughty so all must be well, :victory: and yes, Dhana, Scottish through and through but Cullen Skink, yuk, yuk and thrice yuk!!!! I'm off back to the TOAST before I throw up all over your thread :lol:

12 Oct 2013, 14:29
daydreamer21 wrote: The cook in my bf's pub makes 'Ecclefechan tart' which is actually really tasty but it just makes me laugh when someone says they want the "Fechan tart"

... Had this last weekend, as was in that part of the world! Delish! Also known as 'Border tart' :grin: :grin: :grin:

What about Singing Hinnies - another from NE - might be a bit like your butteries wildmissus and dhana

http://britishfood.about.com/od/special ... ecipes.htm
12 Oct 2013, 14:32
Silverdarling wrote:
daydreamer21 wrote: The cook in my bf's pub makes 'Ecclefechan tart' which is actually really tasty but it just makes me laugh when someone says they want the "Fechan tart"

... Had this last weekend, as was in that part of the world! Delish! Also known as 'Border tart' :grin: :grin: :grin:

What about Singing Hinnies - another from NE - might be a bit like your butteries wildmissus and dhana

http://britishfood.about.com/od/special ... ecipes.htm

Where abouts were you? My boyfriend is in a small village called Brydekirk.
67 posts Page 1 of 5