The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

46 posts Page 3 of 4
Thanks Jules - how long have you been doing this & how much have you lost?
That said, from your other post about a group of you who chat about it IRL, I'm sure the publisher will be interested in emailing you in any case as you certainly fit the criteria for having a real life 'support group' of fellow 5:2ers :)
I don't know if they would be interested in my experience as I started by combining with 1200 calories a day for about 10 weeks at the start, and find that mostly 4:3 works better for me to shift weight, but as a lifelong obese person who has stuck to this way of eating (with a few tweaks) since August, with weight loss approaching 4 stone, fasting as a concept has helped me lose weight that hasn't moved in about 15 years, and when I got rid of it last time, I stuck to the diet for six months, then ditched it completely and put back every ounce.
I am in the U.S. and this is my first week of fasting. So far I can report that after two days of fasting this week, went for dinner tonight and I ate only half of my Wisconsin Friday night fish fry than what I normally eat, as I was very full. I am hoping we hear more of this diet in the U.S. I was fortunate to hear of it this week briefly on morning TV talk show, which then I immediately went to the book store to buy the "Fast Diet" book. So easy to read! I am feeling very positive about this diet working for me!
Hello... I just finished my 3rd week, with my 6th fast!

I'm a 37 year-old, American tall guy: 6'5" starting out at 286 lbs.

I've lost 6 pounds my first week, and 4 on the second week, but only one on this last week. Currently at 275. I'm amazed because my only exercise has been walking twice during this whole time! Prior to starting 5:2, I was in the gym 3-4 days per week, and my weight was not moving at all!

My goal is 240, but I am enjoying the other benefits of the fasting as well! I've been in a great mood, (after an irritable first few fasts), and my mind feels noticeably more focused at work so far!

My favorite fact is that my Acid Reflux all but disappeared after 2 fasts! This may just be from getting below a certain weight, but its been driving me bonkers for MONTHS! I was taking Tums like they were M&Ms some nights. Since the first fast? Not one tum!
Over-friendly, arrogant spoiled American female of 2nd generation British heritage. Three weeks on 5:2, six fast days, down 4 lbs. Need to lose a total of about 50. I am in my 60's. Appetite reduced. Cravings gone. Feeling full on less. My impression of the press reporting on 5:2 this month was that it has been very positive if limited, including GMA. What did I miss?
Tomorrow I'll be starting my fourth week of 5:2. In three weeks, I've lost 3.5 lbs. and am very happy. We'll see what tomorrow's weigh-in brings. I'll keep you posted tomorrow.

I love this way of eating. On 3/2/12, I saw a segment about the plan on the evening news and immediately, almost instinctively, I knew it was for me. As soon as the news segment was over, I went on the internet and researched it for about three hours! I started the very next day, even before I received my Fastdiet and 5:2 diet books from amazon!

I've never regretted my decision. I've dieted for most of my life, always regaining weight because who can count calories, points, carb grams, fat grams, day in and day out forever? Now I count to 500 two days a week and eat reasonably for five days. Nothing is denied me. I find the fasting actually regulates my appetite, so I no longer binge or stuff myself. Yes, I might overeat a little, but nothing like before. I still can't believe it.

Please email me if you need information, and please be welcome to use me as a testimony if needed.
Be well up for any future 5:2 UK projects!
javajive wrote: I saw a segment about the plan on the evening news and immediately, almost instinctively, I knew it was for me. As soon as the news segment was over, I went on the internet and researched it for about three hours! I started the very next day, even before I received my Fastdiet and 5:2 diet books from amazon!

This is exactly what I did and how I felt after I saw the diet briefly discussed on an online news site! I found the Horizon documentary, and then spent HOURS looking up reviews, feedback, discussions and youtube clips about intermittent fasting! I am totally sold on this already!
Moogie wrote: Thanks Jules - how long have you been doing this & how much have you lost?
That said, from your other post about a group of you who chat about it IRL, I'm sure the publisher will be interested in emailing you in any case as you certainly fit the criteria for having a real life 'support group' of fellow 5:2ers :)

I've been doing this since the beginning of February. I've lost 8lb in weight and that's with missing a couple of weeks due to hols and a birthday. Can't say that I particularly count calories on my feed days but have noticed that I definitely don't eat as much!!
The chats at work do help too, those of us that do fast tend to do Mondays so it's good to feel each others pain!!
American 5:2e, just under 1 month so no dramatic numbers, but I am thrilled with the 5.2 lbs lost since then. I am only looking to lose 15 lbs (a stone?) but I am really lite this approach. starting to get more attention here(USA) but haven;t run across anyone else trying this, so this forum is really helpful. I love fantasizing about what will eat on feed days, only to find that I am not nearly as desirous when I can actually have it.
My partner and I gave each lost 12 lbs since end of January following 4:3.

This is significant for both of us in different ways. My partner wants to lose 50lbs and I only wanted to lose 12.

We both had tried various diets and nothing would work for more than a few days. This way of eating has reinvigorated my passion for cooking and has made me creative on fast days.
While the weight comes off slowly I believe this to be a sustainable loss. That alone makes this a much better proposition than other fad diets like the Cambridge diet where she saw big losses until she stopped just having shakes then put all the weight and more back on.

The fast days make me appreciate food more and are also character building. When in this day and age do we ever tell ourselves No.

Today is a fast day for me and all I can think about is chocolate... But I haven't eaten any and by tomorrow the craving will be gone and I will feel glad that I resisted temptation.

I love that this diet is totally changeable. You set the days you fast and therefore if you do slip up, no big deal, just go again tomorrow.

I consider this to be a way of life not a diet. And losing just a lb a week, that's ok by me. Good things come to those who wait.
I've lost 19lbs in just over 6 weeks. I have to say that this week I've been off work on leave and have struggled a bit but still lost 2lbs with no exercise. My brother got me on it and he's been doing it since last October and looks amazing. I've had to buy several pairs of new trousers as my old ones were too baggy and t-shirts from a few years ago fit with no stretching, lumps or bumps. And most importantly for me friends have noticed the weight loss. 5:2 has been absolutely perfect for me and I've mentioned it to friends who are all giving it a go.
I started on the 5:2 diet on September 17th, so I have completed just over 6 months.

I started doing the diet straight after I saw Dr. Mosley's Horizon program on YouTube - now sadly removed! It was like a revelation to me that I could eat on diet days and still lose weight. I always want to lose weight fast.

I have found it an easy diet to follow and I have a lot more energy.

See the awful truth, before. There is no after, I am carrying on...
The new thinner Peter.jpg
After almost 6 months
Peter Sleeping.jpg
Too fat
Here in the US there are ads on TV, radio and billboards pushing gastric bypass surgery. All I can do is shake my head when I hear limiting calories to 500 per day twice a week is unacceptable but a surgery that cuts through your intestine and completely bypasses your stomach to decrease the number of calories your body absorbs is highly recommended.
Well you know, there's not enough profit to be made in simply having people fast two days a week. It's not the American way! ;-)
46 posts Page 3 of 4