The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

46 posts Page 2 of 4
Pirateship wrote: They definitely need positive testimonials, just had a brief look at google and seen the few American articles that have been published already and they're less than favourable. :razz:
It's annoying that people make assumptions before even researching about the WOE. Fasting has been around for hundreds of years, not even the cavemen into consideration! And this isn't even proper fasting anyway, I think the word "fast" scares people. I really don't see this as a "fad" diet and its frustrating that any old person can criticise before researching properly.

That made me think...how can the health profession endorse a very low calorie diet of 800 cals a day or less for several weeks for the morbidly obese (which is probably less than 25% of their TDEE) and yet not endorse 25% of TDEE twice a week?!
Pirateship wrote: They definitely need positive testimonials, just had a brief look at google and seen the few American articles that have been published already and they're less than favourable. :razz:
It's annoying that people make assumptions before even researching about the WOE. Fasting has been around for hundreds of years, not even the cavemen into consideration! And this isn't even proper fasting anyway, I think the word "fast" scares people. I really don't see this as a "fad" diet and its frustrating that any old person can criticise before researching properly.

Unfortunately, I've not seen too many positive comments out in the US press. Mosley was interviewed this morning on Good Morning America. They did an okay job of explaining the plan, but they also had clips of US dietitians who had negative things to say. The best testimonials for me are all the successful people on this forum!
I've been doing this since mid jan and have now lost 17lb. Most of it on 5.2 totally pain free I love this woe and would be very happy to give a testimonial. I'm uk though.
Just want everyone to know that not ALL Americans are negative about this diet! I for one, LOVE it! I'm ashamed at the way some of my fellow Americans are responding to this, without ever even trying it. :(
I'd be interested in helping out but I just started this 5:2 fast diet on March 2nd. My goal is to lose 20 pounds and I think I can reach my goal by the end of May. So far, I'm off to a great start!

My husband just started the diet as well. He has a very similar health profile to that of Dr. Mosely when he started the 5:2 diet. My husband just had labs drawn and is in the prediabetic range. We are experimenting with him. I told him about the 5:2 diet and told him that Dr. Mosely was able to get his labs wnl within 2-3 months just by fasting on 2 days out of the week. So he is on board. He is going to have his labs drawn again at the end of May to see what the change is. I'm hoping that he will have similar results and will no longer be in the prediabetic range. Neither one of us wants to travel down that path.
I can help too if you want, I have lost almost a stone since end Feb. I am British and publicity may help it take off here as well =)
cindyls wrote: Just want everyone to know that not ALL Americans are negative about this diet! I for one, LOVE it! I'm ashamed at the way some of my fellow Americans are responding to this, without ever even trying it. :(

Sorry cindyls!
Didn't mean to tar you all with the same brush! Glad that the diet is working well for you. :oops:
Hi, all! I'm an American and my best friend and I are just starting on this plan. I'm very excited and looking forward to the future. I will definately post progress. Anything you need.
I wonder if some of it doesn't have to do with American arrogance (gasp!), as in an American didn't 'invent' the diet therefore it's not looked at positively? Why is an ultra low carb diet such as Atkins accepted so readily, and like carorees said what about the 800 cal per day thing being ok? I don't get the thinking of some people of our country sometimes lol. I've never been one to embrace a 'diet', I'm terrible about following meal plans, and when I first saw information about 5:2 just a couple weeks ago it truly interested me not just for weight loss but other health benefits.
nodakmom wrote: I wonder if some of it doesn't have to do with American arrogance (gasp!), as in an American didn't 'invent' the diet therefore it's not looked at positively? Why is an ultra low carb diet such as Atkins accepted so readily, and like carorees said what about the 800 cal per day thing being ok? I don't get the thinking of some people of our country sometimes lol. I've never been one to embrace a 'diet', I'm terrible about following meal plans, and when I first saw information about 5:2 just a couple weeks ago it truly interested me not just for weight loss but other health benefits.

In my opinion, every diet in the USA gets the same it's a fad, broad-stroke treatment. I don't think it matters who created it. I went to some of the forums where 5:2 was being discussed and the overwhelming response was just eat less.
carorees wrote: That made me think...how can the health profession endorse a very low calorie diet of 800 cals a day or less for several weeks for the morbidly obese (which is probably less than 25% of their TDEE) and yet not endorse 25% of TDEE twice a week?!

Maybe things are different where I live, but here "the health profession" would not endorse such a severe calorie restriction. The advice here is slow sustainable weight loss, and most importantly, a change in life style, not a short term diet. This includes education about dietary composition, reducing sugar, simple carbs and processed foods (but not to the point of being fundamentalist); increasing physical activity through exercise and daily activities. Many programs also focus on emotional aspects of food, stress management, etc.

I agree, on one hand it sounds illogical not to endorse a calorie restriction. But on the surface, 5:2 sounds like a fad, so unless you have read up on it it is the calorie restriction and just that which would seem to be responsible for the weight loss.
I would imagine professionals who only know about the calorie restriction would worry about the obese person not learning about the above-mentioned aspects of weight loss. Just reducing calories and still overeating sugar, saturated fat, etc. may still have health risks. One may wonder how many will actually be able to do this for life. That being said, most diets, also those endorsed by the health authorities, fail in the long run for the vast majority of dieters, so we don't seem to really know what is working long term.

I'm still intrigued by the effect this diet is having on the amount of food I'm eating - I used to eat big portions of healthy food (i.e. high in fiber, low in simple carbs), but really big portions. I feel fuller much faster now, and I am much more aware of my body's signals. Also, I find 5:2 easier (and therefore hopefully sustainable) because my will power isn't challenged every day. That (and a bit of reading) was what made me try this despite the "fad alert signals". These aspects don't seem to be discussed by journalists or health professionals (who often just get a microphone stuck under their nose for a fast reply). So get those testimonials out there :-) !
Yes, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) endorses a short term VLCD for morbid obesity as an alternative to barbaric surgery! See here: http://www.gponline.com/Clinical/articl ... rie-diets/
:confused:
Hi, I am from the US and I have done 4 fast days (2 weeks). I have lost a total of 4 lbs as of this morning. I fast on Monday and Wednesdays. I find this diet to be very easy. I make my meals the night before. I fix a lunch and a dinner. I take the lunch to work and eat the dinner when I get home. (11:30 and 6:00). I drink lots of black coffee, water with bubbles, and teas during the day and in the evening. I actually have been looking forward to fast days because it feels so good after feast days.
carorees wrote: Yes, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) endorses a short term VLCD for morbid obesity as an alternative to barbaric surgery! See here: http://www.gponline.com/Clinical/articl ... rie-diets/
:confused:

I still feel you are being a bit harsh on "the health profession" endorsing 800 kcal/day as a second or third-line treatment in the short term for a selected group, but not 5:2 calorie restriction as a first-line approach for life. (Disclaimer: my reply is based on the link you provided, not the NICE guideline document it is based on (80 pages, that would keep me from going to the gym). In the linked page, NICE is quoted together with findings from Cochrane.)
I wasn't quite able to find where VLCD was proposed as an alternative to surgery (it may not surprise you that I don't agree with the barbaric ;-)).
The document (and guidelines?) states:
According to NICE clinical guidelines, VLCDs (less than 1,000kcal/day) may be used continuously for a maximum of 12 weeks, or intermittently with a low-calorie diet.
The guidelines recommend that VLCDs should only be used by adults who are obese (BMI> 30kg/m2) and have reached a plateau in weight loss. In the longer term, healthy eating advice should be followed to achieve a balanced diet.
The main disadvantage of VLCDs is that they do not necessarily incorporate behaviour modification to develop a healthy long-term relationship with food; consequently, many patients regain weight.
Although generally safe in the short term, VLCDs should not be seen as a first-line treatment.

As stated before, I suspect that the guardedness re 5:2 at least partially relates to the lack of modification in behaviour, physical activity, and dietary composition - and I still share that guardedness despite being here.
Nothing would please me more than being shown to be overly pessimistic!
I'd be happy to provide a testimonial - please feel free to pass on my email address
46 posts Page 2 of 4