The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

319 posts Page 2 of 22
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 Next
I read this last night and last week on my Monday fast it got to dinner time and I remember thinking I wasn't really hungry, but I ate it anyway! If I feel the same today I may just skip it too! You're right about it being psychological as I feel conditioned to think I need food or suffer a terrible consequence yet I've already busted that myth in my mind so maybe this one is the next challenge! I have read redhead talk of her water fasts on here and felt in awe convinced I couldn't do that and even noticed her bmi and thought it must be because she's slimmer than me!? (Hope i dont offend with that redhead) But today I realise that's my mental block and I am possibly quite capable of managing it too! In my mind it sounds very hardcore! Perhaps I can be hardcore too! Think my usual options hot choc in the evening might prove to be the real challenge so I might just have that anyway! I'll be interested to see how you get on and I'm sorry for your loss.
I've just read everyones posts - what a great forum everyone is so supportive, thank you. I often feel sorry for myself on fast days but today I'm feeling really positive. I've just had a glass of water and should really get on with the housework after that a trip to Sainsburys, just to buy OH coffee as I forgot yesterday. That should take me to lunch time. Will pop back on then.
Mariposa - no offence taken at all. I started on normal 5:2 and found I was eating the 500 cal meal in the evening because I thought it would be unsustainable otherwise. But I found I wasn't always hungry for it and knew that I could ride out hunger pangs anyway as I did that during the day. So I tried skipping completely and just sort of stuck with it. I had coffee with milk and half a sugar during the first few 'water fasts' but I don't even need that anymore. It's worth trying even just the once to prove to yourself that you can do it and won't faint/ die or anything as a result!!
I'm fasting today and have got some lovely butternut squash waiting for me at home tonight - but reading these posts I think I may have to try skipping it and see if I pass out with hunger :bugeyes: - no, I know that won't happen really. Stomach making quite loud noises already so I may not make it - but I'm liking the sound of the 36 hour no food fast - as you say redhead, it's worth trying. :smile:
Housework it done, washing hung out, been to Sainsbury's and only bought coffee and cleaning sponges.

I'm just having a Twinings Butter Mint tea - a new one for me and it is really nice, a bit like murray mints.

I have had a couple of tummy rumbles this morning but nothing much, I certainly wouldn't call it hunger. So far just a normal fasting day.

This afternoon I want to massacre a pair of readymade curtains I bought ages ago, I'm going to unpick them, add blackout lining and put on a different heading. I won't get them finished this afternoon but I'll get a good start on them.

My husband fasts with me but he eats twice a day and does get really hungry. I have two daughters aged 12 and 14 who eat like horses. My 14 year old is one of those teenagers who almost looks anorexic but nothing could be further from the truth, she is a real foodie - she would rather have a really tasty and substantial main meal and leave the pudding, I wish I was more like her!!!

This evening, just before I go out to pilates I plan to put their tea in the oven, steak pie and mash ready meal (I know I'm cheating but they love it), peas in a pan and gravy granules in a jug. I'll leave them instructions and hopefully by the time I get home the dishes will be done and the house won't smell of food. :shock:

Evenings are always a struggle on fast days but I know I will succeed because I have everyones support and knowing I have inspired others to give it a go I will do it.

I'll come back on before I go out later.

How is everyone else getting on?
Same as you so far, a normal fast day, not particularly hungry, but wondering how ill feel around dinner time, am used to feeding everyone even when I'm not so doesn't bother me, not sure if hunger pains will get the better of me. Reading this thread is making me feel motivated to try but at the moment am still planning my evening hot choc as I think I look forward to that more than my meal! As redhead has reminded me I eased into all day fasting so will ease into this too! If it doesn't suit I've lost nothing but gained an experience!
Hi, I'm doing okay-a couple of hunger pangs that I've ridden through. Am getting through more ironing than Widow Twanky would have been proud of! My DH is fasting for the first time today but loves eating so has moaned and groaned his way through the hours by text (he's at work) just to remind me of how arduous his fasting is compared to everyone else's!! :bugeyes: I have 13 year and 16 year old boys and a 15 year old girl who all love their food and hoover up everything in sight so it's lovely that they're all at school not to tempt me! Tonight I'm preparing a chilli for all of them, a 600 cal portion for DH will only add to his hangdog expression methinks but he'll live! I'm going to find that particular time difficult I think, as we all eat dinner as a family as a rule and preparing it/serving it up will be a test. I'm a determined (bloody minded) sort so won't want to be beaten! It is purely psychological I know, I find the fasts easy and know it's just a further 12 hours but have read so many times of those that struggle to sleep on an empty stomach so just presume I'll have the same problem. Good luck everyone, I'm going to try to stop over thinking this fast as its just making me focus on it too much-no need!!! By next Monday we'll all wonder what the fuss was about! :victory:
Hi all,

Hope the fast is going ok. I am doing my 3rd fast today - and so far have not eaten since 9.30 last night (well, actually not eaten since 5 yesterday afternoon, but was drinking some lovely red wine at 9.30!!).
Anyway, I have not felt hungry at all today, was planning on having a 500 cal meal tonight - but may join you and skip until breakfast in the morning!! Like Sarah above, I have prepared dinner (risotto) and may struggle to say no - we shall see!! :grin:
DurbanMummy, see how you feel when you get nearer. Trouble I have is that once I've said I'm doing something I HAVE to do it which then means that even if I feel like gnawing my arm off, I've got to find a way of saying no!! Think you're far more sensible, seeing how you feel later gives you best of both worlds-you've fasted either way and can have your delish risotto if you want to!!! Good luck :clover: x
Just about to put the oven on and get changed to go to pilates. I feel absolutely fine at the moment. Normally during the week we eat at about 5:30/6pm, so I'd normally be ready for something to eat right now. No signs of my sabotaging demons at all - most surprising.
So far so good, will start to prepare dinner soon for the family, can't wait to have my long bath while they are having dinner. Well done everyone for keeping strong.
Well just got back from my daughters gymnastic class and sorting out her tea, still undecided whether to eat or not eat, but I've bought nothing in for my fast day today and although I could eat now the feeling is subsiding so will see how I feel once kids are in bed! Hmmm...
Have prepared family's chilli without any hunger pangs, will be picking DH up from rail station in an hour then they'll all sit down for dinner. I'll make kids' lunches for tomorrow and feed dogs (it's all about food isn't it??) They will clear away & food smell will be gone!!! Am happy there's no feeling of real hunger, which on a normal fast day would be kicking in round now-mind over matter it seems??? Keep going everyone, well done and great to have you around today :like:
As I have said in a previous thread I fasted every Monday for 36 hours for years. I stopped when I became 60 and retired because I worried that it was not good for my health, I always found it very easy and as I had no weight to loose I could eat anything I wanted for the rest of the week without any weight gain. since I stopped I have struggled with my weight. I now have (or had) 14lb to loose I have been on 5 2 WOE for 4weeks and have lost 5lb although it has been stuck for a couple of weeks. I am not too worried, If my weight stays at this I am fine. I wish you all well in your 36hour fast and I am sure you will do well. I look forward to finding out how you have done. :like:
Well wildmissus, what have you started today ! Hubby's had his butternutsquash soup and I've refrained. I've made myself a veg stock drink (20 cals for a mug) and yes I am hungry, but think I can go through now I've made it this far. My dilemma is in the morning - as I'm now in the habit of not eating breakfast at all (unless it's Sunday and we're all sitting down to a bacon sarnie together :smile: ). As I'm at work tomorrow, will I make it through to lunch time before eating - which is what I usually do - therefore making about a 40 hour fast. Maybe as I've not eated my usual 500 cals tonight I might have b'fast in the morning. Guess the sensible thing to do is wait and see what I feel like in another 12 hours !!! This is good - hope we all make it overnight. Thanks for the inspiration wildmissus - look forward to hearing how others get on :clover:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 Next
319 posts Page 2 of 22