The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

319 posts Page 5 of 22
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22 Next
Goodness, I think Michael Mosley would be proud of everyone! I think we are trailblazing his system!
Last week, when my wife went to stay with her mother for a few days, I went for a 36 hour fast, rather than my usual 24 hours. I found it so easy - and I was feeling so good, that I decided to go for 48 hours.

So far, so OK. However, because it was unplanned, I made no plans about how I should break the fast. Had I ended it in the morning, I would have had my usual breakfast, and lunch. However, because I ended it in the evening, I had a large dinner, followed by a large, totally unnecessary, pudding - consequently, I suffered from awful stomach ache for at least the following 2 hours!

I've blogged about it here:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/48-hour-fast-its-doddle.html

Any sympathy from you guys would be totally undeserved - but please, take care how you break your fasts!

Cheers, B&W (sadder - but wiser! :grin: )
Interesting post b&w. hope your tum is back to normal. I'm now back on 36 hr fasts as the weather is warmer. I'm keen to push the boat out and try a 3 or 4 day one but am wary that the pre and post fast meals are likely to have a greater effect on the experience. What do you think your problem was, too much food or the type of food?
Just read your blog and got my answers. Cake in bowl sounds great.
What do you think your problem was, too much food or the type of food?

Gluttony! Sheer gluttony! If I had stuck just to the meal, without the cake afterwards, I would have been fine, I'm sure. I suppose even better would be to have a <600 calorie meal to break the fast.

The effects disappeared overnight and I was completely recovered the next morning, thanks. But I over-ate, I think, partly because I felt I 'deserved' to treat myself, because of the length of the fast.

I've no-one to blame but myself - after all, I've been a member of The Fasting Connection forum for quite a while, now:

http://www.fastingconnection.com/forum/index

Well worth a look - these guys are really hardcore!

Somewhere on there is advice about the best way to break a long fast.

Good luck with your plans, Skip - let us know how you get on.

Cheers, B&W
I totally hear you when you say you overate because you felt you deserved to treat yourself. I often do the same post exercise and on the morning of breaking a fast (after 36hrs) at breakfast time. It`s a mindset that I really need to break...

Am also a regular lurker on the fastingconnection website. As you say, there are some serious hardcore fasters on there plus lots of interesting advice and comment. Everytime I see the good dr andre`s avatar I see a meerkat staring back at me!
My weight has been stuck for a while, and I've been undecided whether to do 4:3 or 5:2 with 36 hour fasts. Last week I wound up doing 4:3 almost accidentally, and I found it easy, so doing it again this week. But I have just worked out that 5:2 with 36 hour fasts rather than the 500 calories will be virtually the same weekly calories as 4:3. (This is using 1600 calories for feed days which is a very rough guess.) I think I may play with the two options and see which one "fits" me best. Or keep mixing it up, to keep my body guessing!

A 36 hour water fast twice a week is 1000 calories a week less. That's a lot. Will be interesting to see how my hunger changes (or doesn't) on my non fasting days.
Just checking in again.... 32.5 hours done and my alarm's just gone off but I was already awake.... Sleep didn't come easy last night but that was probably all the caffeine ;)

Am not as refreshed as usual due to that but I feel less hungry than I did last night, so I will see how long I go before I eat today.... I should wait until mid morning to hit the full 36 hours....

Going to have more coffee in a bit then decide whether to go for a run now or this evening....
Well done eckat, really impressed. Will you do it again?

Kata, just go for it, the beauty of this way of life is that you can alter it at any time without any guilt or feeling that you are not doing it right. I'm hoping that the element of surprise might show up on the scales on Friday.

B & W, you're not getting sympathy - what would you expect a woman to say? Mmm, you should have known better, I told you so. :wink:
Yes, keep going eckat :-)
The scales this morning say 4 lb lighter than yesterday morning and defintiely not due to dehydration.... so it has fixed last weeks excesses - I am back where I was last week after my first fast - so overall no loss/gain for last week...

what I have noticed this morning is knee joints are aching and legs feel a little tired now.... probably due to combination of exercise and no real cals since Sunday evening

I will keep going for a bit longer yet.... 35.5 hours done now.... more coffee and am now sat in work and really need to get on with stuff...

Have done 20 mins on the cross trainer this morning and it was ok - didn't feel hard at all :) so have packed myself a salad with parmesan shavings for lunch, and yoghurst with frozen berries... MFP says the whole meal is 174 cals.... so maybe a sachet of blueberry porridge with water if I need it as well...

My thoughts.... its worked for me this time - I'll definitely do it again but not sure yet if I'll do one or 2 of these in a week.... will just see how it goes when I fast tomorrow... if I get to the evening and can keep going I will but equally if I find it tough, I'll have a 400 cal day instead... I think I need to cut below 500 as my TDEE is well below 2000 unless I do some extreme exercise
I'm going to be doing another one of these tomorrow - so last meal will be 7/8pm tonight (Wednesday) and then no more food until Friday mid-morning/lunchtime if I can manage it. Any one else up for it? :smile:
I'll give it a go with you tomorrow.... not sure if I will manage it... 2 days out of 3 but even if I don't, it'll be a normal fast for me anyway....

My last food tonight will probably be hot chocolate and a snack at around 9:30 so that I get better sleep than last night, and then I have to drive for a meeting on Friday morning that starts with "refreshments" at 10:30 - most probably coffee and pastries.... so my target will be to have nothing until then.....
I have been so inspired reading this topic that I'm going to have a go at 36 hours for my next fast, Thursday. If I understand it correctly, I will have my normal dinner tonight, finishing about 7.30pm and then nothing but water,black tea etc.until 7.30am Friday or later if I can?
From what you all seem to say, it is mind over matter and making sure that I'm really busy tomorrow. :smile:
Hi hilaryjane - yes, you've got it. wildmissus has certainly inspired quite a few of us and we all seem to have survived and come out the other side :victory:. See you and eckat back here tomorrow then - good luck to you both. (I'm working at a different office tomorrow and won't have access to this forum until I get home in the evening - drat! Catch you back here then. :clover:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22 Next
319 posts Page 5 of 22