The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

69 posts Page 2 of 5
Since we've started with the questions, I've got another TDEE-related one...

It's regarding the TDEE on our tracker. Is it based on an on-line one or have our wonderful nerds created one that they think it's the most accurate?
TML13 wrote: It's regarding the TDEE on our tracker. Is it based on an on-line one or have our wonderful nerds created one that they think it's the most accurate?

It's the Mifflin StJeor equation, assuming sedentary occupation / lifestyle. Varady uses it in her studies and it's described at http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

All of these equations are curve (or usually straight line) fits to measured data on sample groups of people. Don't expect them to be accurate to 1%, +/- 10% is more realistic and that won't cover everyone either.

Some of the others are on a spreadsheet I used for testing.
redhead wrote: PhilT, can I hijack here to ask you about you

International man of mystery :?:

I'm a chemical engineer by education and training, I dropped biology at age 14 or so but have recently got into it through some medical issues and getting fat. I spent some years in the sugar manufacturing industry LOL.

I've done some 1 day fasts in among eating low carb, the latter dropped me over 3 stone in 6 months. I do intend to do some more rigorous fasting once I've nailed down some details like what protein level.

So I come at this with an evidence based / analytical / dogmatic background, and a mind that works well with search engines.
Thank you Phil!!!
I've got a feeling that my TDEE is -5% of the tracker's one.
The TDEE I am using is 1370, the TDEE on the Tracker is 1535 but I think I'm somewhere in between.
PhilT, now that is interesting! Sugar manufacturing particularly. Pure White and Deadly?!!
redhead wrote: PhilT, now that is interesting! Sugar manufacturing particularly. Pure White and Deadly?!!

"Generally Recognised as Safe" :smile:

There is an anti sugar lobby which is like other lobbies - highly committed and not necessarily objective or even sane. When you've seen someone f'ing and blinding with scary eyes at a person purely because of their occupation it changes your world view a bit.

Used to watch 35,000 kgs/hour of white sugar whizzing up conveyors in the 80s.
I feel I must be stupid. Will someone please explain what TDEE stand for? :confused:
lizziebean wrote: I feel I must be stupid. Will someone please explain what TDEE stand for? :confused:

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many calories you use living and doing your stuff for 24h.
PhilT, that's good to hear. I like sugar in my coffee and I like Twixes too. I'm a BSc engineer too (bricks and mortar kind) and spend much of my life in the middle of shouting matches with nutters. But sure it keeps life from getting dull!
Can someone please post the link for the sites TDEE calculator :) Thankyou
It's up there with your progress tracker, TracE!
Hi Philt,

Interesting background and I'd love to read something positive in reference to humans ingesting sugar. As you say there is a huge anti lobby out there, so, the big question coming up.......IS SUGAR EVER GOOD FOR YOU? :?:

Hope you don't mind the question but you have me intrigued now.

Ballerina x
Ballerina wrote:
.......IS SUGAR EVER GOOD FOR YOU? :?:

Ballerina x

When it's in cake! :grin:
I'm sure it's like most things and moderation is the answer. I lived with someone at uni who bought into the whole 'fat is bad' thing and never ate anything that didn't say 'Less than X% fat' or 'Fat free' on the box. Box being the pertinent word - they only ate processed stuff. It wasn't healthy and the person's poor health in later life has borne that out.
69 posts Page 2 of 5