The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

69 posts Page 5 of 5
Hi, GMH, hope you're here today - just read some of your blogs and I must say I feel much the same as you on most days and have similar feelings regards trying on clothes, drinking wine, liking lovely baked goods and much more. I do appreciate your blogs and musings and really wish you (and all of us) good luck on your 5:2 journey !!!!!!
Cazable wrote: Hi All. Sorry to sound thick, but what is TDEE and what does it stand for? thanks

it was earlier in the thread -

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many calories you use living and doing your stuff for 24h.
Great answers - thanks Fatdog this is what I was looking for - or rather hoping against :cry: So do you think he has modified his diet or made it clear where people thought they could punish themselves with food 5 days a week and weren't losing weight? Or was this his original thinking that wasn't published. I am depressed :frown:
Maybe I had better change my signature to pass me the salad I'm on a diet!
GMH wrote: Maybe I had better change my signature to pass me the salad I'm on a diet!

Cheer up GMH! :grin: if you have a calorie deficit due to two fasts a week, I believe you lose weight unless there is some underlying problem. I refuse to get to bogged down in the counting. As your TDEE decreases as you get slimmer I imagine the weight loss slows down as the deficit it smaller. Is there any evidence to say it stops completely forever? I doubt it.
Yes Mrs H-R - I have decided that TDEE is short for teeeedious as diet it stands for Die -t :razz:
Certainly seems to help some people to be aware of TDEE. I know I like the psychological way 5:2 approaches this way of life, and that was a big part of MM's idea. Doing what is sustainable, as most 'diets' are not. So I try to be normal on 5 days a week, forgetting entirely about what I 'should' or 'shouldnt' be eating, and this has enabled me to get to my 5th month now, ok, I might have lost twice as much weight if I monitored everything although would I still be as enthusiastic?. I noted, on a personal level, a bit of a heart-sink moment when I saw TDEE is now included on the Tracker page, as I found myself reading it, thinking 'Oh right, am I eating too much, not exercising enough, maybe two chunky kitkats was excessive on Saturday etc etc..', rather than thinking, 'Thats absolutely fine, I'm only losing about 0.75lbs a week on average but it is still going. NOT a criticism, Moogie, I find the Tracker graph REALLY helpful and motivating to see the slow but consistent fall in weight (my real motivation is health anyway), but just aware of my own reaction to a reminder that a normal day should have limitations.
Perhaps there could be an option to hide certain stats or information from the progress tracker page. Then you could choose to ignore the tdee info.
69 posts Page 5 of 5