The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

375 posts Page 2 of 25
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25 Next
Re: 5:2 + 16:8
31 May 2013, 11:10
Leek goat cheese &brown lentil bake
1/2 cup brown lentils & 1 bay leaf cooked for 10 mins & lentils just tender drain & toss bay leaf
Combine in oven proof dish lentils with:
1 medium leek white part sliced thinly
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic crushed
60 mls veg stock (make my own-adds depth)
Bake covered for 40min until leek tender - (nice if a bit chewy)
Sprinkle bake with cheese and bake few minutes until brown
Sprinkle with chopped chives.
196 calories
This recipe is Fabulous and real comfort food :) enjoy
31 May 2013, 11:25
@wendydarling:

'Ryvita' is nice when it is homemade.....when I make it I cut it in small pieces as to make it as a snack at work when I am peckish and not wanting to go crazy at the chocolate or candy at work.
31 May 2013, 11:33
Ania how do you home make ryvita
31 May 2013, 11:34
Sorry to be stupid but I can't cope with anything more than basic info at the moment. I am planning on fasting on mon and thurs so on the other days do I not start eating until 12 (my lunchtime at work) then stop at 8 then either repeat or fast depending?
31 May 2013, 12:23
gillymary wrote: Leek goat cheese &brown lentil bake
1/2 cup brown lentils & 1 bay leaf cooked for 10 mins & lentils just tender drain & toss bay leaf
Combine in oven proof dish lentils with:
1 medium leek white part sliced thinly
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic crushed
60 mls veg stock (make my own-adds depth)
Bake covered for 40min until leek tender - (nice if a bit chewy)
Sprinkle bake with cheese and bake few minutes until brown
Sprinkle with chopped chives.
196 calories
This recipe is Fabulous and real comfort food :) enjoy

Thank you gillymary, looks fabulous, can't wait to try it!
31 May 2013, 12:29
Prepare to be amazed Jolie just the thing for 5:2; let me know what you think :)
31 May 2013, 13:03
I am in.
Hi all
today I decided this is the way I want to go.like you,Wendy darling I was having trouble on non fast days .today I waited till 2 pm to have a light lunch .felt great. yesterday was a nonfast and I started with breakfast and was starving all day.
Like the sound of the lentil dish,penny
31 May 2013, 15:59
Well, well, well, I go out for lunch and come back to all this activity, you lot have been busy little bees.

I would just like to add that, yes, I seem guilty of raising the profile of 16/8 on here but I didn't invent it, it has been around for years, I just was unaware that I was doing it and that it had a name. A lot of others seem to feel the same so it is good to see this way of eating come out from the shadows and be accepted.

I will be forever grateful to the lovely Dr Mosely for showing the world that you can control your weight and be healthy. I cannot imagine how many lives he has improved, enhanced and prolonged, I hesitate to say 'saved' as we are all doomed to eventually don the wooden overcoat, but I feel that he has made the road a lot longer, healthier and happier for millions of folk who, otherwise, would have had a much reduced quality of existence.

I found it really interesting that in his book he decided against prolonged, i.e. 4 days and longer fasts, not because he thought they were dangerous, but because he felt it was not sustainable for him personally, can't say I disagree with him on that! He did the 'Alternate Day Fast' for a while but again, decided it was not for him. He then settled on the 5:2 formula with a calorie count of 600 (for men) but found that he could not do that in one meal, unlike Dr Varady, so he then split it into two meals, breakfast then 12 hours later, dinner.

So, but for a small quirk of personal preference, we would all be buying his book '16/8 The Fast Diet'! Now I don't feel too bad at promoting the close relative of 5:2. as they are so interchangeable and compatible and I find that I can slip between the two quite seamlessly and painlessly .

Good luck to everyone on here, I really hope you all enjoy this as much as I do,

Ballerina x :heart:
31 May 2013, 17:00
ive had a bit of a weight loss plateau gaining & losing & gaining again a pound the last couple of weeks so decided to give this a go. I have downloaded the 8 hour diet book but not even got a third of the way through it yet. the book indicates that you only need to do the 8 hour window 3 days a week to lose weight. anyways, did an 8 hour eating window on wednesday. had my fast day thursday & only had 2 cups of normal tea through the day so that I could have a bigger dinner & lots of fruity tea during the day. & woohoo. weight this morning 11.5.6lb. thats almost 2lb lost & broke through my plateau!! 8 hour window today but probably wont eat anything else as have been out for a lovely lunch with friends so feeling quite stuffed :)

result plateau 0, shelley 1 !!

good luck all those who are gonna give it a try, if only to kickstart things into action again.

oooh I love this forum. so much to find out & so helpful :)
31 May 2013, 17:45
Wow! I went out to lunch too (some would say that I'm permanently out to lunch but thats another story) what a lovely lot of posts and ideas. I have got some pouches of flavoured puy lentils in the cupboard but I wasn't too sure what to eat them with. Home made ryvita? There's a thing. Sounds great, I sometimes have trouble thinking outside the box. I got some cathedral city cheese portions today too. Never even knew they existed because I try to steel clear of the cheese aisle! Thank you for your recipe gillymary, I will definitely try that.

Because I ate a proper meal at lunchtime today I won't be having any dinner tonight, I still feel full but I will probably have a rice cake and cheese snack later and perhaps some fruit. Oh I forgot, it's Friday so there will definitely be wine on the cards and maybe a bit of chocolate.

I really love this thread and am looking forward to sharing more here. Like your result Shelley!

Shoobie1 take it easy to start with, this is just an idea, you don't want to put yourself off at the beginning by making it too hard nor complicated. I would pick either 5:2 or 16/8 to start with and then see what feels right if I were you, then mix them together if you fancy it. Have a look round the forum and see what appeals most to you, the beauty of this is that there are no rigid rules and it works differently for each of us. Quite a lot of people have noticed that they don't feel hungry on the day after a fast and don't have any breakfast, this leads naturally to eating within an 8 hour time frame on non fasting days. Good luck :clover:
31 May 2013, 17:55
I am lurking in the background and am doing a bit of both 5:2 and 16:8 wiith mixed results, though that is my fault not the WOE as I seem to have such a lot on at the moment. I have just returned from visiting our daughter and will be interested to see what the scales show tomorrow after a strange mix of both the WOE and overindulgence!
I am so pleased that you started this thread as it is so much easier to follow when all the information is in one place.
Thank you to all of you16:8 eaters.
X
31 May 2013, 18:05
Ballerina, I've been meaning to ask you. You said you don't count coffee in the 8 hours. How about broth?
31 May 2013, 18:50
Sorry TML, did you mean OUTSIDE my 8 hours? During my 16 hours+ fast I only have water or black coffee, no calories whatsoever otherwise I feel I am not fasting if I'm ingesting anything which I have to digest. But that is only ever in the mornings when I'm not hungry anyway. Once my 'window' opens, so to speak, then I eat and drink whatever I want till 'closing time' :grin:

Hope this helps,

Ballerina x :heart:
31 May 2013, 18:59
Me too. Here's my pennyworth...... I just have green tea outside of my 8 hour eating window
31 May 2013, 19:41
How do we feel about Monday and Thursday 5:2, Tuesday and Wednesday and Friday 16/8, Saturday and Sunday WAYHAY anything goes (in)?
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25 Next
375 posts Page 2 of 25