The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

52 posts Page 4 of 4
The situation is resolved. Thank you to tomtank for making the difficult decision to leave the community. Unfortunately there will always be situations in life where someone just doesn't fit in with a particular group. I'm sorry it's happened here but with so many people it was bound to at some point, and with any community the aim is to keep the majority happy.

I would appreciate it if members could be civil and polite about this matter if they really must discuss it further. I won't stand for any kind of celebratory topics or similar disrespect. This was not a banning, it did not even get to the stage of a pre-ban warning. This decision was made by the member and I think we should all be respectful and grateful for that.
Nothing to celebrate about, it was a sad and uncomfortable situation.
It's a shame as she did have some interesting views & points to make and clearly felt strongly about encouraging good health, unfortunately it seems there was a difficulty in communications - from her in the way she wrote things and from the community in the way they interpreted her words. Not an easy situation and I very much appreciate her easing my workload and stress over this through her decision.
Have to rather agree with the 'gaggle of women' stuff being objectionable - hence my angry but retracted '.' post (now vanished?).

I'm not sure where some folk are coming from, but it sure don't seem friendly, helpful or constructive ...

This is too good a place to have flames spoiling things. @Moogie - would some extra moderators be of help? Methinks there would be many volunteers, myself included...

All the best, FatDog.
I'll be dealing with the Colin situation tomorrow, bit late for me to keep going now. One thing at a time please! I've spent several days discussing this matter with various members involved in the situation so please don't think it has been going unchecked or unnoticed. I'm not one to go waving the banstick around willy-nilly and I do try my best to resolve things reasonably and as quickly as possible. There are always two sides to every story. I'm not saying she's a hero but I am grateful that she has made this decision.

If you feel I have been inadequate in dealing with this situation I'm sorry, but this is not my job, this is a hobby and I do my best with the time I have.

I can assure you that in my life I have known various people (in fact my ex and my own father are among them) who have difficulty conveying their meaning without causing offense in many situations. Blunt and quite often tactless but without any ill-intent in their words, this was not something either one found easy to change and indeed most of my family still just accept that's how my dad is (apparently it's a Dutch trait to be blunt, or so he tells us :)) and we don't take it to heart (I remember when he made a girl in his office cry! -oops!). It can be all the more difficult to determine the intent of someone's post when it's just text on a screen. You can't see their expressions, hear the intonation etc. I am not taking any sides here, but I do know it's not impossible to take something the wrong way (ie not the way the author intended). This could indeed be true on both sides of things here, with tomtank perhaps misreading the intent of posts, taking offense & responding, or indeed the other way around. And then it's all just a tricky mess to sort out!

Sorry if you feel the need to leave over this Izzy, but I've done the best I can and tried to resolve things peacefully first. It's almost a shame that folks can't see when I'm trying to work something out with the parties involved, but I don't like to go making things public like that.
Moogie, the thing is, that some of us are entitled to complain a bit because we were indeed hounded by her and the mods did nothing about it.
Perhaps you didn't notice but I remember certain threads were she was undoubtedly rude towards certain people and they were moderators posting below her and did nothing about it.
Let's all put it down to experience and let's hope that this was the first and last time that our wonderful forum had to deal with something like that. :-)

Still we must all keep our eyes open because I have a feeling that the popularity of the forum might not be of the liking of certain people!
If the mods did nothing about it perhaps it's because they didn't read the posts in the same way that others did, if you see what I mean (as per my post above). Posts that get reported do get dealt with but other than that we may not always see things in the same way as others. We're all different - aside from being only human. All members are able & welcome to report posts via the exclamation mark icon on a post.

Given the root cause of this topic and the fact that the issue has now been dealt with I think it may be best if I lock this one for now. I don't want things turning sour overnight and I can't keep apologising for things, I've done what I can.
52 posts Page 4 of 4