The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

63 posts Page 2 of 5
byoung103 wrote: I must confess that I was booked in for gastric surgery before I found this WOE. I was that disparate although I had major reservations about the possible risks and side effects. But there simply did not seem to be any alternative to fix my utterly out of control eating. Then I came across 5:2 and decided to give it a go while I was waiting for surgery! Wow what a transformation. I am waiting to lose a bit more before I go back to see the surgeon to cancel. The issue in all of these systems is the long term sustainability. And of course we do not know yet how 5:2 will operate for each of us in the long term.

By the way I have tried Atkins several times and it has not cured my carb addiction. 5:2 seems to have done so.

Definitely cancel straight away in my opinion, and after seeking as much medical advice as possible. There's just so much good reports of real people following 5:2/4:3 eating plans. The weight will be lost gradually and safely and you will never be at that weight or near it. With stomach intact or not manipulated if it was lapband/bypass that you were booked into and not sleeving.)

Problem is there is preponderance of these type of support forums for the "sleevers" on their "journey" as they call it and are so succumbed to the hype about stomach removal.

I was too late in trying to convince my friend dont do it. She is happy about her decision and im happy for her that she has lost the weight and has a renewed live but damn, if only she had seen the Insight program first and the cut wouldnt have been necessary.
I don't want to be judgmental about people's weight loss decisions. Surgery carries risks , but so does having type 2 diabetes. I remember reading awhile back that one of the types of surgery 'cured' diabetes even before the weight loss happened. At that time, they didn't know why.
MaryAnn wrote: I don't want to be judgmental about people's weight loss decisions. Surgery carries risks , but so does having type 2 diabetes. I remember reading awhile back that one of the types of surgery 'cured' diabetes even before the weight loss happened. At that time, they didn't know why.

True. i guess for very very very obese who are just totally unable to make good lifestyle changes then surgery seems the only way to go. At a 1/2 kilo a week on average that people on 5:2 lose, then its say 80 weeks for 40kg and thats more than a year. I dont know if some people can wait that long but maybe as a slow steady decline is better.

I guess if you were going to drop dead in a few weeks if you didnt have surgery than theres a case for surgery.

More studies would need to be done I guess in relation to "curing type 2 diabetes" through surgery but no weight loss. In any case,as many stated here, you cant have the surgery unless you can lose x% of your weight before the surgery.

Maybe intense hypnotherapy or self hypnosis is the alternative to change the mind quickly. It's been done.
How about use 5:2/4:3 to lose the weight and then use your money towards skin removal surgery? I would love to have a little nip and tuck after I meet my goal.
I have a friend who has had the stomach surgery, and it has been a great improvement in her life. Once she knew what and how much to eat when, and that bad things would happen if she didn't follow the rules, she just got on with it and was perfectly happy. She thrives with structure and external authority.

I have another friend who desperately wanted the operation, but was not able to qualify because he did not prove he was able to follow the diet by losing and keeping off the required weight. For him, the operation would have been too dangerous, but possibly intermittent fasting would be perfect. He has plenty of willpower and motivation, so would surely be able to fast one day at a time. He merely lacks the ability to permanently let go of the pleasure of eating his favorite foods.

What would be great is if people were given all the information about the options so they could make the right choice for their own needs and personality type. I hope more doctors will become knowledgeable about intermittent fasting.
glassmarble wrote: He merely lacks the ability to permanently let go of the pleasure of eating his favorite foods.

What would be great is if people were given all the information about the options so they could make the right choice for their own needs and personality type. I hope more doctors will become knowledgeable about intermittent fasting.

I agree wholeheartedly with this!
5:2 is the best of both worlds as we can still have the pleasure of good food whilst losing weight and this is what suits me.
As a mid fifties female, I also know that if I lose weight too quickly I'll end up looking like I forgot to iron myself before I left the house. 7.5 kg in 3 mths is allowing my skin to keep up and even the saggy bits haven't become any worse
:wink:
(This is why I also think the plateaus have a purpose)
As a mid fifties female, I also know that if I lose weight too quickly I'll end up looking like I forgot to iron myself before I left the house. 7.5 kg in 3 mths is allowing my skin to keep up and even the saggy bits haven't become any worse (This is why I also think the plateaus have a purpose)

I whole heartedly agree with that Gigi55. Well, its how I console myself each time I stall! Considering the amount I've lost and the fact that I'm in my 60s I'm really not doing badly skin wise. :smile: I get baggy bits but then the plateau takes up the slack until the next loss.

Regarding Type 2 diabetes, I know of quite a few people who, like me, have reversed it just by cutting back on carbs. Unfortunately the general advice is always to eat loads of carbs and then when your diabetes gets out of control they go for the easy option and put you on drugs. I suppose its less hassle than educating people to eat better.
MaryAnn wrote: I don't want to be judgmental about people's weight loss decisions. Surgery carries risks , but so does having type 2 diabetes. I remember reading awhile back that one of the types of surgery 'cured' diabetes even before the weight loss happened. At that time, they didn't know why.
I probably didn't word that well: what I meant to say was that the surgery had an effect on diabetes that couldn't be explained by weight loss, since the diabetes was cured before the weight loss happened.
the drastically reduced calorie intake would have lowered insulin and so cured the insulin resistance that caused the diabetes. that is how fasting and low carbing does it too.
carorees wrote: the drastically reduced calorie intake would have lowered insulin and so cured the insulin resistance that caused the diabetes. that is how fasting and low carbing does it too.

I think the prevailing hypothesis is that it's down to the reduction of fat around / in the pancreas and liver - that's what the Newcastle University imaging group set out to test by using a VLC diet intervention without the surgery.

What happens if a weight loss surgery person survives long enough to get to a healthy BMI ? Do they have to eat 10 times a day or something.
I can't find the original article I read, but I found this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/scien ... wanted=all

Researchers said the operations used in the studies help control diabetes not just because they make people lose weight — a known treatment for the disease — but because the changes in anatomy alter the levels of gut hormones that affect the metabolism of sugars and fats.

I think this is what I'm remembering--that there was something special about the region of the stomach or small intestine affected in terms of hormone release.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... ctions.pdf is a follow up to the Newcastle work. They used diet after deciding that the effect of weight loss surgery was just down to energy restriction - http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... ltext.html
My opinion is that, that kind of surgery can put your life in jeopardy.
I have a good example with my dad who nearly died because of complications after he had a band. The wierd thing is that it's also what saves his life.

If he didn't have the band, and didn't have the complications which put him in a coma, the doctors wouldn't have find the cancers he had. They discovered he had a stomach cancer and an oesophagus (gullet ?) cancer, both which are usually detected once it's too late as they spread really quickly; They also detected a prostate cancer but was pretty easy to cure as it was taken really early. So I have mixed feelings about that surgery...

Make no mistake, I wouldn't do it or advise someone to do it. I am not morbidly obese and, anyway, I prefer to lose the weight slowly as it gives me the time to be used to my "new me" (some people never get used to be thin or to the new reflection in the mirror and are really unhappy after the weight loss) and the skin won't suffer as much as if I lost too quickly.
Manderley wrote: My opinion is that, that kind of surgery can put your life in jeopardy.
I have a good example with my dad who nearly died because of complications after he had a band. The wierd thing is that it's also what saves his life.

If he didn't have the band, and didn't have the complications which put him in a coma, the doctors wouldn't have find the cancers he had. They discovered he had a stomach cancer and an oesophagus (gullet ?) cancer, both which are usually detected once it's too late as they spread really quickly; They also detected a prostate cancer but was pretty easy to cure as it was taken really early. So I have mixed feelings about that surgery...

Make no mistake, I wouldn't do it or advise someone to do it. I am not morbidly obese and, anyway, I prefer to lose the weight slowly as it gives me the time to be used to my "new me" (some people never get used to be thin or to the new reflection in the mirror and are really unhappy after the weight loss) and the skin won't suffer as much as if I lost too quickly.

sorry to hear of your dad's plight after surgery but it sounds like he returned to good health, I hope.

Yes the fact that the weight loss is slow and steady must give it the thumbs up ahead of drastic surgery whichever of the 3.. lapband, bypass or sleeving.
Thanks for him. It was rough, he nearly died but he's fine now. The cancers are all gone for 10 years. It's just ironic that it was the lapband, which turned badly (very bad infection, coma) which saved his life
63 posts Page 2 of 5