The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

155 posts Page 1 of 11
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 Next
THE HAIRY TENT!
19 Mar 2014, 16:26
A few people on here have given huge praise to the Hairy Dieters for their low-cal and yet delicious and filling meals. I thought this would be a good place for Hairy fans to share their favourite Hairy recipes. I'll start the ball rolling with a repeat of my own triumph...meatloaf with spicy tomato sauce. I give it :like: :like: :like: :like: out of 5! It's not only delicious but really filling too...and the sauce? Spicy!! :grin:

Hope to see some more Hairy recipes to inspire us all!

Bean :starving:
image.jpg
image.jpg
(75.87 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Re: THE HAIRY TENT!
19 Mar 2014, 16:37
image.jpg
Hairy flan
Good idea Beany.
I will make this on Sunday for Mondays fast Eve meal.
19 Mar 2014, 16:49
I've just bought the second Dieters book. I really do not like them, but admit their recipes are good.
Hub loves a chicken paprika from the first one and the lamb tagine is fab. I see there's a chicken tagine in the new one - good job I've got some preserved lemons on the go!
19 Mar 2014, 16:58
My youngest son (the 16 year old autistic one) made the 'Mince and vegetable Pie with Tumbled Spuds'. A hairy twist on the humble cottage/shepherd's pie. It was delicious, so much so that we now cook their version rather than our home made version. It was also easy enough for my son to follow.

The burgers were rather good too. Adding grated carrot to bulk out the meat and make it moister was a genius idea.

I find that on feast days making one of their recipes and bulking out the meal with a pile of veg and a bit of pudding works out well too.
19 Mar 2014, 17:56
Ooh Julie I DO like the sound of the mince and vegetable pie. Think I'll try that after the asparagus flan :wink:

Bean :smile:
19 Mar 2014, 19:32
I'm with you PFT - they really are not my cup of tea but after hearing lots of people praise their recipes I recently bought the first book and the Chicken Jalfrezi was delicious.
19 Mar 2014, 19:34
Julieathome wrote: My youngest son (the 16 year old autistic one) made the 'Mince and vegetable Pie with Tumbled Spuds'. A hairy twist on the humble cottage/shepherd's pie. It was delicious, so much so that we now cook their version rather than our home made version. It was also easy enough for my son to follow.

The burgers were rather good too. Adding grated carrot to bulk out the meat and make it moister was a genius idea.

I find that on feast days making one of their recipes and bulking out the meal with a pile of veg and a bit of pudding works out well too.

I made it for dinner and it was great. Even from a Swedish point of view ;) Both my men liked it - a lot.:D
19 Mar 2014, 19:39
I make one of their recipes copied from my mum's books but it is definitely not a diet one. Somerset Chicken with double cream, apples and mature cheese. I make it with Quorn though as we are vegetarian. As everyone on here is raving about their recipes I was looking at them on the internet last night; might get one of the diet books but which one is best?
19 Mar 2014, 20:43
Oh poor Hairy Dieters...
image.jpg
(34.53 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
19 Mar 2014, 21:33
Not really a fan of the HD's , but bought my daughter ( at her request ) the original one and Eat for Life , which I flicked through and ended up buying for myself too as several of the recipes looked quite good .

So far have made 5-minute pizza( P.30) using tortilla wraps ; vg , but not really substantial enough on its own so added a large salad .

Next I tried liver & bacon with onion gravy ( P.64) . . . . except I didn't have any bacon ( superfluous , really , as it was flavoursome enough without it ) . Must confess to adding a dash of dry sherry as I think this goes well with liver . Lots of curly kale & my usual cauliflower / broccoli all steamed , and a ( very) few potatoes made it a lovely meal. Only problem is "serves 4 " , as we're only 2 . . . not always easy to half things like a tsp of sunflower oil !!!

3rd was Easy Chicken Bake , which again I halved . The courgette -filled chicken was delicious , and just right , but the roasted veg were burnt and certainly didn't need 25 mins + an extra 10 mins . when the cherry tomatoes we're added. Would make this again , but would try roasting the chicken for (eg) 10 mins first , before adding the veg. Trial and error , I suppose !

Hoping to try some others when time permits .

(But my very , very easy favourite low - cal meal still has to be Butter Bean Chorizo Stew with tomatoes , found on Lavendar and Lovage and posted by someone on 5:2. Supplemented with my usual steamed greens , it's fab & filling too ) . Apologies, Hairy Bikers fans , I seem to have got off the subject somehow , though I'm sure Si and Dave would approve of the recipe.. . .

Goldilox x
19 Mar 2014, 21:50
Beanie, I thought you had set up a barbers tent. :shock: Pheww :cool: Watching the HB thread with interest, new to me.
20 Mar 2014, 07:26
I made a small mistake with the minced veggie pie last evening - don't know what I got it from but I added a can of crushed tomatoes as well as the stock. It turned very runny ...more soupy....but I drained away app the same amount of liquid as a jar contains and then it got cooking for a very long time. Long time due to that The DH all of a sudden sat in an emergency meeting at work... But as I said, the dish turned out great :)

The only problem with the HB (as well as Jamie) is that they use ingredients - mostly spice related that I can't get here - like different curry pastes. Not something I can find in my super...like Thai Red ad Green...these I can get...

Very much snow has come down since last afternoon :(
20 Mar 2014, 07:30
Lizbean wrote: Beanie, I thought you had set up a barbers tent. :shock: Pheww :cool: Watching the HB thread with interest, new to me.

I was expecting pictures of people's haircuts or something. haha.

I've been meaning to get their cook book for awhile, but I keep buying cook books I never use. I'll blame the difficulty of finding ingredients in Okinawa and hope you guys buy it ;-)
20 Mar 2014, 07:51
My only issue with following their recipes is they are usually for 4 people+ and its only just for me- I don't cook enough to feel confident messing with their recipe and changing the weight of the ingredients, anyone have any ideas? I have one of their books and their food does look pretty tasty, I need to try new things for my fast days.
20 Mar 2014, 08:26
daydreamer21 wrote: My only issue with following their recipes is they are usually for 4 people+ and its only just for me- I don't cook enough to feel confident messing with their recipe and changing the weight of the ingredients, anyone have any ideas? I have one of their books and their food does look pretty tasty, I need to try new things for my fast days.

I would cut the recipes in half, that way you can freeze the extra portion and after a week, have enough meals for the next :D
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 Next
155 posts Page 1 of 11