The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Anyone a wild swimmer?
05 Jun 2014, 21:39
Last year i started sea swimming and really enjoyed it. I found it so good for my health in so many ways. Back in again this year and - as the water is still cold - i am only swimming for 15 mins just now but it is so good to be back. It is a great stress buster!
Re: Anyone a wild swimmer?
06 Jun 2014, 05:50
OH you brave woman you!
I only managed to swim in the sea once in Shetland in 17 years! It is very cold though all year round! I think you maybe benefit from the Gulf Stream though. I did swim in the waters off Islay.
Bracing , I think is the word.
I have gone sooooo soft it's embarrassing! 22C and need a 3mm wet suit for diving! We had a wee foray into the sea for a swim a couple of weeks ago, finally managed to get the shoulders in and only lasted about 10 minutes. 23C - oh , the shame.!
It does sound very 'wild' though and appealing. Hopefully, I'll toughen up again.
Do you swim in the sea or is it sea lochs? Do you get big seas coming in or is it reasonalbly sheltered?
Getting home sick again...
06 Jun 2014, 09:38
Yes, when we are in Sweden at our holiday place the only way to wash is to swim in the sea! We swim daily...I like to do a minimum of 15 minutes swimming but it depends on the water temperature! I find swimming in a wetsuit is difficult though due to the buoyancy. I wish there were somewhere safe to swim near where I live though.
06 Jun 2014, 10:26
My mind was boggling as to what wild swimming actually was ... Learnt a new thing :smile: :smile:
06 Jun 2014, 14:54
Hi, I do open water, usually at one of the local water ski-ing clubs, I'm not sure if this really counts as wild.

I do feel very relaxed afterwards as my closest lake is in a lovely location, it's wonderful swimming and watching the sun go down over the trees (whenever it's not raining . . . )
07 Jun 2014, 06:34
janeg wrote: It does sound very 'wild' though and appealing. Hopefully, I'll toughen up again.
Do you swim in the sea or is it sea lochs? Do you get big seas coming in or is it reasonably sheltered?
Getting home sick again...

Where are you from @janeg? My house looks out over a bay on the Isle of Barra and there is a couple of us that regularly swim across the bay and back a few times a week. It is reasonable sheltered and is about 1km there and back. We don't wear wetsuits as we find them restrictive - mine was cheap and ill fitting anyway! But it is all about acclimatising and slowly building up to longer swims. The biggest swim we did last year was from Vatersay to Barra and it took us 2.5 hours - we felt wonderful after. We swim other places too but we have so many choices here. We are extremely lucky we live in such an idyllic place with magnificent clear waters.
I am sure there are people swimming in the lakes and rivers near you - they are warmer than the sea too :) It is easy to find people to swim with on Facebook - go on give it a try!
07 Jun 2014, 06:37
carorees wrote: Yes, when we are in Sweden at our holiday place the only way to wash is to swim in the sea! We swim daily...I like to do a minimum of 15 minutes swimming but it depends on the water temperature! I find swimming in a wetsuit is difficult though due to the buoyancy. I wish there were somewhere safe to swim near where I live though.

Sounds magnificent - i can't wear a wetsuit either. visit this website and you will fine places to swim near you and if you are on facebook it is easy to find friends to swim with - there are outdoor swimming groups.
http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/
07 Jun 2014, 06:48
lol @gillymary what did you think it was? out-of-control pool parties? lol

@egduf of course that is wild swimming - sounds lovely. It is so nice to be out in nature and swimming in the rain is just wonderful.

Anyway better get up and see if i can get out in the water today - was out on wednesday and looking forward to another swim today. :grin:
07 Jun 2014, 06:53
Lived in Shetland for a long time @croftmaclean- originally from outside Glasgow and spent many happy holidays on Islay and many of the Inner Hebrides.
Now in the sandpit in the middle east- ugh.
The swims across the bay sound lovely. Will give it a try when I'm in a better place...
something to look forward to.
Any chance of some photos? :)
07 Jun 2014, 07:02
I went to shetland for the day once - crazy i know but it was for work. I would love to spend more time there. I have an Aunt from there. Really enjoyed the TV show Shetland - did you see it?
If you are on facebook you can go to https://www.facebook.com/brevigbswim for photos. if not i could figure out how to put them up on here
07 Jun 2014, 07:09
Didn't see the show @croftmaclean
I'll have a wee trip to FB and check out the photies. Ta
07 Jun 2014, 08:28
Oh I HAVE TO wear a wettie, and that means fins and a snorkel too. Sea swimming is a different stroke to pool swimming. I have to keep my head up to watch out for waves and boats. There is a river with a swimming spot near me. It very picturesque, but I really dont enjoy it as much as sea water.
07 Jun 2014, 11:40
I'm in awe, brought up in the northern part and learned to swim in 17C water and spending my youth competitive swimming, I have grown soft over the years. Now my standard is not to go into the pool unless it's 24C or more. Yep, spoiled I am, but I do hate to feel cold water on my skin...;)
07 Jun 2014, 14:54
Cold exposure is great for stimulating brown adipose tissue which helps you to burn fat and also strengthens your system generally in the same way that fasting does....anyone joining me for a swim?
07 Jun 2014, 15:06
You said that before @Carorees and that really motivated me swiming in Sweden last year ;)

Last year I did a long distance river race in Sweden (16°, but I wore a shorty), I really enjoyed it but sadly no where to train in Paris. Otherwise we swim in lakes every summer in Sweden and I love it, I can't do below 18° without a wetsuit though!
21 posts Page 1 of 2