The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

43 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: FITBIT CHAT FOR NOVEMBER
08 Nov 2014, 22:01
Answers for @Carieoates and others:
It didn't and doesn't hurt. The only thing that made me concerned initially was that my peripheral vision on the bottom of my left eye was very fuzzy. I had a few floaters, and don't normally see those. I had a follow up visit yesterday when he took off the eye patch and it looks just fine. Actually it looks absolutely awful, but you know what I mean...I will make a total recovery, and retinal detachments don't usually recur either. Nearsighted people and people who have had cataract ops are most at risk, and that's me on both counts. In other words, I didn't do anything to cause it, it just happened.
Took a nice long walk today, and my steps are at 7700 at only 3 PM. So for now doing good stepwise. HOWEVER --- it's supposed to get radically colder and start snowing on Monday (on my birthday - how rude of Mother Nature), so my steps will certainly be decreasing.
09 Nov 2014, 00:15
Oh WendyJane, glad it was found and fixed so quickly. Frustrating with the no exercise for a couple of weeks.
09 Nov 2014, 10:43
So I've just done my third day of the @KataMac/ Mark Sissons run a mile a day challenge, so far so good, but..........I forgot my Fitbit!!! :shock: . That's 10 very active minutes I'm going to have to find from somewhere else today.
09 Nov 2014, 23:11
Well done for the miles - and isn't it annoying when you forget your fitbit! I had mine get a flat battery yesterday morning, and lost the 5,000 or so steps I would've clocked up before I realised.
10 Nov 2014, 01:25
@wendyjane I had my first detached retina about fourteen years ago. I just woke up one Sunday morning and had a completely black quadrant in my left eye. It was dealt with under a general anaesthetic and was very successful. It took about a year for my vision to settle down - all the verticals were wavy because of the scarring on the retina, with some floaters as well, of course. A couple of years ago the cataract in that eye ( inevitable apparently after a detachment) had got to the stage when it had to be dealt with so off I tootled to the hospital and was informed that the consultant was happy to do it but I had to get my right eye dealt with first! It seems that the retina in that eye had started to detach so another op for me, under a local this time. That, too was successful and the surgeon gave me a replacement lens a few weeks later, rather than wait for the inevitable cataract to form in that eye too. So, two new lenses later and, although I am still having to wear glasses, my vision is better than it has been for years.
It sounds as if yours was dealt with swiftly and you should be fine. It seems that some detachments are age related and particularly frequent in short-sighted people and long-time contact lens wearers - I qualified on all three of those, so it was not surprising! Hope your healing goes well - don't bounce around too much! I had to give up horse riding for six months in case of a fall, so take it easy!
10 Nov 2014, 09:17
@wendyJane
I wish you well soon. It is a set-back on the steps front but I'd accept it as just that. - just a set-back. Enjoy your road to recovery x
10 Nov 2014, 09:37
Just ran a mile again :) The best thing about it is it's just 10 minutes, that's it, done - but comes with that great feeling of accomplishment.
10 Nov 2014, 10:30
Exactly how I feel about it too @KataMac
10 Nov 2014, 12:07
Can I ask, do we have to have a Fitbit to join in or just a pace/step counter? I have been using Withings and linked into MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper. I don't aim for much as I'm lucky to achieve 3500 steps on a good day but I've just been given a treadmill and have been using that several times a day to try and build up strength around my poorly knee. I'm looking at it that little and often, even just 5 mins several times, is better than nothing at all!
10 Nov 2014, 21:44
For this thread, definitely not :grin: but the leaderboard is on the Fitbit app/website, so don't think you can join that without the fitbit to sync in.
13 Nov 2014, 06:21
Nothing like record breaking temperatures and 3 to 5 inches of snow to really put a dent in one's step count. :cry:
From the local newspaper's morning post:
"Today's forecast calls for a high of 3, which the city may have already reached. The snowfall has also resumed, with 3 to 5 inches of additional accumulation expected today. The overnight low is expected to be near -7 with a windchill of -15."
For you Celsiusonians, -15 is your -26.
13 Nov 2014, 09:37
Hello again... I've found you in November already!? when did that happen!!

I started out with a 5000 a day goal and was pleased to be getting that relatively easily, so I have upped it to be 7500... I also am getting that now but it means I have to perhaps pace around and around the living room! I walked outside too when my husband is home but when he's out, I have to just walk around the house (kids!) lol
One day I do hope to up it to the 10000 recommendation 'to lose weight' though. I do hit this on the days I go to a gym class.
How do you lot get 12,000+ in??? do you walk to work?..... :O

jb x
13 Nov 2014, 17:43
How do you lot get 12,000+ in??? do you walk to work?..... :O
Running 4 times a week....and dog walking before and after work. Just one hour of dog walks a day accounts for around 6000 steps. Running makes it very easy to get the steps in as you can do around 10000 in just one hour of running.
13 Nov 2014, 18:06
Sorry to say dear @juliebulie10that I've recently upped my goal to 13k as I was getting 12k in before....yes before my exercise class.
I know when I've had a busy day at work when this happens. Often have three days under goals these are tues, Thursday and Sunday. But I'm now training for half marathon on those days.

Anyone else looking at the new Fitbit bands advertised.?
13 Nov 2014, 18:17
I feel very disappointed if I only get 10K steps a day, have set myself a target of 12,500 but did over 17K yesterday thanks to an aquacize class, walk, shopping and just generally keeping on the move!
43 posts Page 2 of 3