The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

43 posts Page 1 of 3
FITBIT CHAT FOR NOVEMBER
01 Nov 2014, 12:46
Good morning all. It's now November and so it's time to start our new monthly chat.
Shout out to all you newbies, those achieving goal, those stepping more than they used to and anyone thinking about upping their game. I include myself in the latter group as seriously thinking about training towards a half marathon. Plus I keep achieving my 12k step goal so think I need to up it. It's now going to be 13k. :bugeyes:
Anyone else think they could increase their goal?
Re: FITBIT CHAT FOR NOVEMBER
01 Nov 2014, 12:54
Nope! My goal is set at 7500 and I don't very often achieve that, especially since the clocks went back and I can't get out for my pre-dinner walk in the evenings! I am trying to find another suitable time in my day but haven't found it yet. We don't have street lights or pavements, just very rough roads, so post-dark walks are both tricky and unsafe! My target will have to be to actually reach my 7500 on the majority of days in the week. Good on you though @carieoatesfor such determination!
01 Nov 2014, 17:27
I averaged 14K plus for each week in October but now that the days are shorter and colder and my brother is no longer around to drag me out on long walks I think I'll set my target for at least 12,500 steps a day which should be easily achievable.
02 Nov 2014, 21:54
Well I had a very slack month last month, with at least 4 days below my target (12,000). This month will be back to normal though, so maybe I should up my daily goal to 13,000?
06 Nov 2014, 02:26
I am not a runner (if I want to go faster than a walk, I skate or cycle) but inspired by this post:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/better-t ... z3IFcXWLDR
I just ran a mile. 10 minutes 15 seconds. I actually enjoyed it too, which is unprecedented for me and running.

I've tried to do the couch to 5K SO many times, but never make it out of the first week. So this mile is a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. Before when I've run, it's been with a goal of increasing the distance, so I could run 5km. This time, I ran just for the hell of it. I wanted to see if I could do it. And I could.
06 Nov 2014, 07:22
Well done Katamac. I love to read posts like that. Will you be trying for another mile soon.
06 Nov 2014, 08:39
:like: It is great to know that you can run a mile without stopping in a good time@KataMac! And even better that you enjoyed it. I used to hate running when I was younger, but it is like a drug for me now. I love it.
07 Nov 2014, 11:57
A huge Thank You to @KataMac for that link, I've been wanting to get back to running for a while now and your post was a 'lightbulb moment ' for me. So this morning I found a gap in the showers and ran a mile (measured out on Google Earth and confirmed on Map My Walk). It made me realise how unfit I've become and how much I missed it.
07 Nov 2014, 17:28
Hello all, just thought I'd update you with my half marathon news. Well I left it too late to get into the Cambridge half. I'm gutted as I need a goal or i will not do it.
I'm on the mailing list for the great north run. Sounds very special doesn't ot. I'm hoping to train with my BIL who's done a few before but is ten yrs my senior so I am lacking in experience somewhat.
Hopefully we can enter one early next year. So my training starts on Sunday, a 16 weeks course.
Excited.........yes I am.
08 Nov 2014, 00:00
So sad to report that I will be sliding down the leaderboard rapidly. Yesterday I was diagnosed with, and immediately had repaired, a detached retina. Could have been worse (it is fixed) but no serious exercise for a couple of weeks. I won't be running, and probably won't take really long walks either. My vision right now is very weird, which is disconcerting in itself. I'm not sure what you can say to cheer me up, but feel free to try....
08 Nov 2014, 07:06
@wendyjane that is terrible news. I so hope they discovered it in time to have a successful recovery.
08 Nov 2014, 09:40
wendyjane wrote: So sad to report that I will be sliding down the leaderboard rapidly. Yesterday I was diagnosed with, and immediately had repaired, a detached retina. Could have been worse (it is fixed) but no serious exercise for a couple of weeks. I won't be running, and probably won't take really long walks either. My vision right now is very weird, which is disconcerting in itself. I'm not sure what you can say to cheer me up, but feel free to try....

That is more than bad luck @wendyjane/ On the positive side it was diagnosed and repaired very swiftly so you now need to concentrate on letting things settle and heal before donning your running shoes again. If it's any consolation my steps are rapidly diminishing now my brother is away and no longer dragging me out on long walks so @carieoates will soon be way ahead of me! Do take care and enjoy not doing the chores!
08 Nov 2014, 13:01
@wendyjane what a pain. Did it hurt, what caused it.? You know me questions, questions, questions.,
Just happy you're beating me @Callyanna, couldn't want for a nicer opponent. :heart:
I've been looking at the new fitbits, hoping that it doesn't take forever for them to get to the U.K again. I'd like a watch one with visible goals and curent stats like the Fitbit one I had crossed with the flex but with time on it. :cool:
Start my marathon training tomorrow. :confused: :confused:
08 Nov 2014, 16:11
carieoates wrote: @wendyjane what a pain. Did it hurt, what caused it.? You know me questions, questions, questions.,
Just happy you're beating me @Callyanna, couldn't want for a nicer opponent. :heart:
I've been looking at the new fitbits, hoping that it doesn't take forever for them to get to the U.K again. I'd like a watch one with visible goals and curent stats like the Fitbit one I had crossed with the flex but with time on it. :cool:
Start my marathon training tomorrow. :confused: :confused:

that new fitbit sounds really cool @carieoates, definitely one for the wish list!
43 posts Page 1 of 3