The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 4 of 98
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
26 Mar 2013, 17:10
I've signed up for a 10k on Easter Sunday. Still going to do Parkrun on Saturday and still go for a PB if I can but I'm looking forward to the 10k. I try to do a 10k training run at least once a week but haven't got it below 1 hour yet. I'm hoping the competition will add a bit more zip to my pace.
27 Mar 2013, 11:09
Good luck! I've got a 10k pencilled in for 21 April, which is scarily close. But I'll try to do as many park runs as I can before then, as well as my usual Sunday long runs.
29 Mar 2013, 18:56
Is everyone ready for Parkrun tomorrow? I did a slow and easy 10k this morning being as I had the day off from work and I'm hoping that the couple of 5k interval sessions I did during the week might just help towards a pb. I'm not going to bust a gut in the 10k on Sunday, if I can finish around the hour mark I'll be reasonably happy.
29 Mar 2013, 22:23
Yes I'm ready for a new pb tomorrow! My 12 week training plan for my half marathon starts next week, and I want to say Bring It On!
30 Mar 2013, 19:50
Crikey! I managed to beat my previous PB by 15 seconds. I did my first sub 27 minutes at 26.56!!

How did everyone else do?
30 Mar 2013, 21:36
A pb of 33-40! So yay! But boy it takes an awful lot of effort to shave even a few seconds off times. I was 3rd slowest runner on the day, out of a low field of 30 odd runners. And I'm feeling a bit "what's the point?"today :-(
30 Mar 2013, 23:34
Melanie Cheeks wrote: A pb of 33-40! So yay! But boy it takes an awful lot of effort to shave even a few seconds off times. I was 3rd slowest runner on the day, out of a low field of 30 odd runners. And I'm feeling a bit "what's the point?"today :-(

No don't feel like that...you're right it does take an awful lot of effort to shave seconds off a pb but it's only a reflection of the real effort that is put in during your training runs.The training you put in for your half marathon will be seen in improved times at parkrun. 33:40 isn't bad and I'm sure that by the time the half marathon comes around you will see better pb's. 30 runners isn't many and I bet they are all fairly experiended and dedicated runners so being at the back of the field isn't anything to be ashamed of.
31 Mar 2013, 16:57
Well done both of you. No parkrun for me cause I had to go to Tenerife for Easter - but I did get an extra fast day due to food poisoning in the hotel! Lucky me (the 24 degrees sunshine nearly makes up for it though)...
31 Mar 2013, 17:12
Wherever you finished, you beat the guys sitting on their couches.

I've worked out I'm the only woman over a size 10 (and I'm being generous) at my new gym. There's a few tubby blokes but all the girls are very fit, so I'm always last...
31 Mar 2013, 23:54
BBT053 wrote:
I've worked out I'm the only woman over a size 10 (and I'm being generous) at my new gym. There's a few tubby blokes but all the girls are very fit, so I'm always last...

I can certainly identify with the tubby blokes at your gym BBT053. A few years ago I was quite overweight and therefore decided to try a 'Boxercise' class at a local leisure centre. The class was well attended but there was only a couple of other blokes there, neither of whom as tubby as I was.

Everyone else was quite fit and toned. They had a full length mirror on the wall, a bit like the ones they use for ballet classes and I kept catching a glimpse of myself as a 40+ wobbly fat bloke struggling to keep up with this group of predominantly athletic 20-something women.

I think that it was this more than anything that encouraged me to take up running as my prefered form of exercise and to go on a serious diet.(and stay away from full length mirrors)
01 Apr 2013, 07:59
:-)

Happily no mirrors at a crossfit box only realised when I saw a pic...
01 Apr 2013, 08:44
Thank you for the "are there any runners". You have helped to inspire me into action. Which is just as well as half marathon in May. Oh why did I enter...... Right - no more excuses. I'll get out there. Good luck with the park runs. I have heard they are very popular.
01 Apr 2013, 13:41
Hello all,
I'm having a holiday from fasting today but I've just come back from a run. I finally did the first week of the C25K podcast. I think I'm going to get on with it. It's quite cold out so I've come back quite wheezy.

Does anyone use tracking/running apps? I've been experimenting with Endmondo but it's they keep messing up my account.
01 Apr 2013, 19:48
Elaine78 wrote: Does anyone use tracking/running apps? I've been experimenting with Endmondo but it's they keep messing up my account.

I have to admit that I haven't had a lot of luck with these sort of apps.
02 Apr 2013, 05:57
I use MapMyRun - mostly cos my husband can see where I am using the live GPS, so there's a safety aspect. I like the way I can see how my pace varies over splits, and it's handy for helping keeping me on track with my new year's resolution of running an average of 1 mile a day. I ignore any calories burned estimates.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 4 of 98