The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 6 of 98
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
03 Apr 2013, 22:10
Loulou51 wrote: I completed the C25k on Easter Sunday and signed up for the 5x50 challenge so I had something to keep me going. Still trying to get my 5k to 30 mins. I have registered at my local parkrun but not quite ready to give it a go yet. I thought the programme was very good.

A 30 minute 5k having just completed the C25k is really good. The parkrun average is around 27 minutes and that will include people who have been running for a number of years. There are plenty of people who do 35-40 minutes at parkrun. Give it a go LouLou51, you'll be glad you did. :wink:
04 Apr 2013, 00:32
I'm in the States. I volunteer with a group called Students Run. I run twice a week (5K) with students ages 12-14. My job is run with the slow kids, which is ok because I'm slow too. I tell them we just have to keep putting one foot in front of another. Motivating the kids helps keep me motivated.
06 Apr 2013, 10:50
Stubbed my toe tripping on the stairs in the middle of the night, wasn't too sure if this would affect my running badly.

Recited to myself "the only way to become a faster runner is to run faster". I picked a flattish section of the circuit, and sprinted it each of the 3 times I ran that bit. Was feeling really good and strong- nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! And just kept spelling out in my head- R U N- F A S- T E R.
Haven't got the official time yet, but mapmyrun says I smashed my pb and was pushing 10 minute miles! Very chuffed indeed.
06 Apr 2013, 11:17
Well done! Another PB!

I ran much better than I expected today, just back from holiday and another 3 lbs lighter due to food poisoning/virus last week. Managed 24:11 today, about my average at present but 2:20 faster than a fortnight ago! Wife got a PB by over a minute, at 27:50, from the lightest she has been for many years (about 125 lbs, at 5ft 6in), so she is over the moon and cannot believe the improvement. She is doing 6:1 to keep me company on Tuesdays and has cut bread out of her regular diet. I feel I have a good run due in April, watch this space!
06 Apr 2013, 12:22
Well done Melanie Cheeks and CreakyPete. It looks like you both turned tragedies of toe stubbing and food poisoning/virus into triumphs. I don't know what my time was today but I don't think I got a pb. It wasn't a bad run but just not as good as last week's effort.

I'm going for an early morning 10k+ with a steep hill climb tomorrow so I'm hoping that will prove a useful addition to my training schedule.
06 Apr 2013, 15:20
32.21. An all time pb, and a massive 79 seconds off last weeks time! And first in my category. I am so chuffed right now :-)
06 Apr 2013, 15:58
Wow! Well done Melanie, that's fantastic!! :victory:
06 Apr 2013, 16:20
Well done Melanie, I managed 27:31 today so a bit down on last week.
06 Apr 2013, 18:06
I might be picking your brains on how to keep improving!

Good luck with your tough 10 tomorrow :-)
07 Apr 2013, 14:49
My husband and I both run although I have a foot injury right now which I blame for a ten pound weight gain over the past few months. He is training for a marathon next month but wants to lose a few pounds on the 5:2 diet as well. He is going to fast on his nonrunning days...do you think that is something he can do?
07 Apr 2013, 14:55
I would suggest running on fasting days, but not the pre-marathon 20 milers, just 5 - 8 miles steady runs. It's the day after the fast that seems more of a struggle for me...
07 Apr 2013, 15:45
Thanks Creakypete that is what I was wondering.
09 Apr 2013, 07:09
Did a quick 30 minute before breakfast run this morning, after a fast day yesterday. No problem at all in beating my previous time for this route.
09 Apr 2013, 16:50
I haven't run for 10 days (bad knee) and did my best ever time yesterday, 27 minutes. I'm so looking running nearly every morning when spring hopefully/finally arrives this weekend. Except the day after a fast - like Pete, I struggle with doing that first thing in the morning after a fast day on an empty stomach.
10 Apr 2013, 14:18
I might have to retract my statement about performing badly the day after a fast in the light of new experience. I did the same bike ride in very similar conditions on Sunday (fasting) and today (day after fast) and was 55 mins compared to 58 mins, which had been close to a best time from pre-5:2. Felt really good and went for it. Let's hope the feeling lasts until Saturday's parkrun!
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 6 of 98