The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1466 posts Page 5 of 98
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
02 Apr 2013, 08:27
Hello, I don't run right now but gonna try Couch to 5k. I need a good bra first lol! The app says what to do. At first it's 20mns 3times a week.
So many tings on my list like yoga nd meditation. But with children being at home not easy. Still I'm so fortunate I don't work. Energy and motivation I need. Maybe I drink too much coffee! But I'm collllld
02 Apr 2013, 09:02
Coffee is an important food group!

The podcast seems pretty good. I tried it and so did my dad, who's a more experienced runner but hasn't done much recently. He seemed positive about it, despite the music!
OK, I'll look at Map My Run. Thanks
02 Apr 2013, 09:17
I think running to music is quite a personal thing. I vary and often run with a very ancient Roberts radio and listen to that. I have a little iPod shuffle which has some music on but have trouble finding the right sort of music. Any suggestions for suitable running music?
02 Apr 2013, 11:33
I've been ploughing my way through C25K (using the NHS podcasts) on the treadmill at work and will be doing Week4 Run 3 this afternoon, so I'm up to a couple of stints of 5 minutes running at a time. I did the last session at the weekend outside in the fresh air on pavement, and although I loved being outside in the sunshine, it was definitely a LOT harder than running on a treadmill. I was expecting this to a certain extent but the reality was pretty tough!!
Feeling positive about completing it even though right now stepping it up to 20 minutes at the end of next week (I think it is) is a little daunting!
02 Apr 2013, 11:46
Hi Shrinkingrose,
It is normally recommended that you set the treadmill to a 1% incline to replicate training outdoors. This may help you with the transition from the treadmill to the pavement.
02 Apr 2013, 13:57
Running for 5 minutes seems daunting to me from my point of view. So that's impressive within 4 weeks! I hadn't really thought about the difference between treadmills and outside. I had my gait analysed on Saturday for proper running shoes and he had me running for 20 seconds at a time, not fast, and I was thinking this is OK. I can do this no problem. Yesterday was a bit a shock. It was my first proper full run, didn't drop my phone this time, and I found it quite hard, not on my legs as I thought I would but I was quite wheezy and out of puff quite quickly but I think that's mainly because the air outside is still very cold which makes breathing harder, I think. I'm going to try again tomorrow and perhaps a bit later in the day when the air is a little more warmed up...
02 Apr 2013, 22:31
I get quite breathless when I run but I have found that I can run a lot quicker and further than I could when I first started running a couple of years ago. I think that Elaine78 is right about the cold air. It is harder to breath when it's really cold. I did a 5k on Saturday and got a pb and I did a 10k on Sunday in under an hour. I think I was helped by the fact that it was a bit warmer on those two days.I was still gasping for breath at the end of each run but I did manage to recover soonish afterwards.
03 Apr 2013, 05:23
Having read about parkrun on this forum, I am tempted to give it a try, I'm reasonably fit (I do 30mins on the Cross Trainer most days) but haven't run for a while. There is what seems to be a new run starting near me at Maidstone on 13th April.
My question is will a 53 yr still overwieight slow female runner stick out like a sore thumb?
03 Apr 2013, 12:13
Not at all - you won't be last by any means. Go for it!
03 Apr 2013, 12:58
Thank you, I will but I've just realised I will be away for the first one.
Please don't put any bets on me not finishing last !
03 Apr 2013, 14:17
Parkrun is a fairly informal relaxed affair. I'm 56 and I'm still a bit heavier than I'd like to be but I do manage the odd personal triumph occasionally.
03 Apr 2013, 15:03
I'm 60 soon and much overweight. I went to our local running club last night - great bunch of people - and realised I've just been messing about running on my own. I have been running during the day when I can as its been so cold at night - our running club meets in the evening.
Take heart SianS. We all know we had to start somewhere and I find its a real sense of achievement when I succeed which is not always. Last night I managed running for a certain length of time ( outside and it's was a beautiful sunset) and I'll try for a bit longer tomorrow.
Set your own goals and like itadakimasu says you can have your own personal triumphs.
03 Apr 2013, 15:42
I've just come back from my second week 1 C25K session. It was much easier than before. I think I was controlling my breathing better. I was running pretty slowly. In someways it felt like my brisk walk was quicker than my run.. but I'm pleased with what I've done. Still having trouble with running apps. More than anything, like calorie counting apps it's nice to record that you've done it. I've just noticed that the NHS have a strength and flexibility programme as well. It seems to be talking you through stretches and things.. Might be good to do alongside the running.
03 Apr 2013, 19:33
Thanks simon, when i've got myself up to where they have you running for 20 mins plus in one go, then i reckon i'll try nufging the incline up a bit to ready myself for outdoor running.

Starting week 5 tomorrow (4 seperate bouts of 5 mins) which i feel fairly confident about. The last one was hard work but i managed it, and i know it works by getting you to keep pushing yourself just a little bit more each time.

ELaine i wouldnt worry too much about speed at the moment, its an achievement in itself to be able to do what they ask of you at all in the first instance!
I remember when i did it before i also wanted to log my runs, but until i was actually running for consistent periods of time, it seemed to confuse most apps i tried because they wanted me to chose either running or walking as an activity, but not both!
03 Apr 2013, 19:50
I completed the C25k on Easter Sunday and signed up for the 5x50 challenge so I had something to keep me going. Still trying to get my 5k to 30 mins. I have registered at my local parkrun but not quite ready to give it a go yet. I thought the programme was very good.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 98 Next
1466 posts Page 5 of 98