The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

48 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Hula Hooping
17 Aug 2014, 12:31
The 'hooping4life' hoop is ordered, @wildmissus, and should be here in the next few days. No doubt it will give my visiting daughter and granddaughters great enjoyment to see me struggling to regain a skill which has not been used for fifty-five years! :smile:
17 Aug 2014, 13:02
@StowgateResident, before it arrive you could practice your bending techniques :lol: . I wasn't able to hula hoop as a child so you are way ahead of me. Once you get the knack there will be no stopping you. Let us know how you get on.
17 Aug 2014, 13:14
Oops, @wildmissus, I hadn't thought about the need to bend! Perhaps I better keep one of the granddaughters here permanently - just to pick it up for me! :lol:
29 May 2015, 20:08
I bought a hula hoop on a whim today and remembered this thread so I thought I'd give it a bump.
I've never been able to hula hoop and am determined to learn. I have had a go and it was very poor but I did do it for a few turns. The hoop I bought is quite big and weighted. Not sure if it's the right one or not.
Anyone else in?
29 May 2015, 22:28
My hula hoop is broken. I need to replace it.
30 May 2015, 15:48
Yaaaayyyyyy I can do it! Not very graceful and my tongue is sticking out but never the less........ 6 pack here I come :victory:

Just ordered the one that @wildmissus recommended. Thank you :smile:
31 May 2015, 10:01
Thanks for bumping this up @Wendy Darling! I had forgotten about the hula hooping! I must dig my hoop out of the storage shed and see how I go with it! At least it is something which I could do in front of the TV and it's very hard to eat whilst hooping - or should that be hula-ing? :?: Are you still using yours, @wildmissus? and, @MaryAnn, have you used yours so much that you have worn it out? That's real dedication! :grin:
31 May 2015, 10:50
@StowgateResident, my hula hoop is leaning up against the radiator behind the door in the lounge. I haven't used it for ages. My OH, youngest daughter and I were trying to learn how to juggle as a new years resolution. My daughter has succeeded in the task to a very high standard and once again I have started but not seen it through. Anyway last week Jen decided to see if she could juggle and hula hoop at the same time. Lets put it this way she can do both very well separately :grin: !

I saw this thread reappear and it did make me realise that I need to stop trying to be superwoman. I'm just doing so many things at the moment - painting the skirtings and walls in the house, gardening, working extra hours. I'm going to start cutting all that down to do some fun things like hula hooping.

@Wendy Darling, its good to learn something you couldn't do as a child. You'll soon be doing tricks!

@MaryAnn, how do you break a hula hoop?
31 May 2015, 16:28
@wendy darling. My hula hoop is hanging on my exercise bike, where lots of things get put as the bike does not get used. You inspired me to have a go yesterday. Unfortunately I ran out of puff after one minute. Technique fine, but unfit :curse: :curse:
31 May 2015, 17:41
Well this is definitely on my to do list. If it works for me I'll buy some for work :smile: a hula before meetings start sounds like a fun thing to do :wink:
31 May 2015, 18:27
Nice to see such a lot of enthusiasm. I can sense the need to have a possibility to upload some video footage :grin:
31 May 2015, 22:04
It really is fun Liz you can't do it without laughing. It's a great stress buster.

P-JK oh no! No video uploading :lol:
01 Jun 2015, 00:08
StowgateResident wrote: ...@MaryAnn, have you used yours so much that you have worn it out? That's real dedication! :grin:

haha. I wish. I have this bizarre Japanese hula hoop that came in 7 pieces. Someone at a party broke one of the joints. I thought they would do the polite thing and replace it, but no. Nevermind. I just need to remember to pick one up in the sports shop...
01 Jun 2015, 11:51
imcountingufoz wrote: I just started a fitness class yesterday evening, it's all ab work, and it was hardcore, but the reason I am posting about it is because the warm up/cool down part was hula hooping. It was SO MUCH FUN! I think exercise has to be at least a little bit enjoyable to make people want to do it, and I can thoroughly recommend hula hooping. You really really feel it after a few minutes. and it's really good for toning around your middle as you're constantly flicking your hips around to keep the hoop up, and holding in your tummy.

I am now on the hunt for a weighted hula hoop so I can practice in my garden!

Is it acceptable for the males of the species to do this also??
01 Jun 2015, 13:15
48 posts Page 2 of 4