The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

48 posts Page 1 of 4
Hula Hooping
24 May 2013, 07:54
I just started a fitness class yesterday evening, it's all ab work, and it was hardcore, but the reason I am posting about it is because the warm up/cool down part was hula hooping. It was SO MUCH FUN! I think exercise has to be at least a little bit enjoyable to make people want to do it, and I can thoroughly recommend hula hooping. You really really feel it after a few minutes. and it's really good for toning around your middle as you're constantly flicking your hips around to keep the hoop up, and holding in your tummy.

I am now on the hunt for a weighted hula hoop so I can practice in my garden!
Re: Hula Hooping
24 May 2013, 08:00
I got my weighted hula hoop from amazon. You should you tube hula hoop - blimey the things you can do with a hoop.
24 May 2013, 09:23
Thanks for the suggestion imcountingufoz. I bought a weighted hula hoop from amazon last year , used it a couple of times and left it. Maybe I should start again next week, need to tone up my tummy, I guess I could do it while watching tv.
20 Jun 2014, 13:45
I've bought a hoop today, but it's not weighted and I can't make it stay up :frown:
Hopefully YouTube will provide some answers!
20 Jun 2014, 17:50
I have a weighted hoop, but its too small. I will have to sell it and get another one the right size.
20 Jun 2014, 20:48
D you get instructions on youtube how to keep the darn thing up? X
Wd love to get one and give it a go but feel pessimistic bout my ability to actually do it and keep it going...need classes x
21 Jun 2014, 09:09
@CandiceMarie, I have two hula hoops. these two bought from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ResultSport%C2%AE-Level-Foam-Weighted-Exercise/dp/B002N1AX06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403339801&sr=8-1&keywords=hula+hoop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hooping4Life-Fluorescent-Dance-Hoop-instructions/dp/B001CG74MI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1403339801&sr=8-11&keywords=hula+hoop

They are both about 100cm wide (40"), the first one weighs 1.2kg and the second 625g. Don't be tempted to buy anything heavier. I had one which weighed 2kg and had 'waves' on the inside and I ended up back and blue with bruising. You can actually damage your internal organs if they are too heavy. However the ones we had as children are just too light.

Even as a child I was never able to hula hoop. I decided that if my girls can do it then so could I so with a bit of help from them and persistence I can hula hoop in the lounge whilst watching TV for as long as I like, usually 15 mins, without dropping it.

TIPS - Stand with you knees soft (slightly bent), put you best foot in front of the other. The mistake I always made as a child was to move my hips/waist in a circle - no, no. Move you hips/waist in forward/backward movements. When you feel the hoop going down then slightly bend your knees and 'flick' your hip to bring it back up. All your movements are subtle.

I can now walk with the hoop, although I do look like a constipated duck! @Nessie also got me hooping in the opposite direction.

If anyone who has never hooped before fancies it I'd say give it a go. The hoop will drop to the floor a lot to begin with but it is extremely satisfying when you get the knack.

This you tube video is helpful -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0visc3p6uAA
21 Jun 2014, 12:47
Thanks @WildMissus for all that helpful info
I really want to learn,coz it seems such an easy way of keeping moving - once you get the hang of it that is! X
11 Jul 2014, 06:19
I picked up a hula hoop for the first time in ages in, of all places, a Hooters in Taipei (a long story--it made somebody really happy, so it was worth it in spite of my principles). I was surprised to keep it up, since last time I tried, I couldn't. I think this one was weighted. Maybe that's the reason. Or maybe I'm fit now! haha
11 Jul 2014, 06:22
31 Jul 2014, 08:33
so I bought a $20 hula hoop at the sport shop, but I couldn't get it to work…

until my friend gave me some tips: the hoop moves in a circle but you move back and forth and try one foot forward.

I'm hula hooping when I watch TV now. Look out world!
31 Jul 2014, 21:50
@wildmissus, which of the two hoops which you have would you recommend ? I have read some of the reviews and they both seem to have satisfied most of the people that have bought them. The padded one seems a good idea but would it be too heavy for a beginner? Any advice would be appreciated.
14 Aug 2014, 18:55
@StowgateResident, sorry for the late reply but I've been away on my holidays. I would recommend the first one I bought and the one I keep going back to - the hooping4life one.
14 Aug 2014, 19:28
I have used various hoops and gave the collapsible padded one away very quickly to a charity shop. It's not as nice to use, it felt unbalanced and clumsy. Much prefer my standard hoops (mostly 39" but when feeling good I use the smaller ones bought for my girls) from places like hyper loop hoops. Whatever you do, don't buy the ones with waves; as WM says they are quite dangerous.

If pushed, you can make your own hoops quite cheaply and I have one made by a local lady. It's really just piping and hose connectors and a whole lot of tape. The instructions are out there for free on the web. I just can't be bothered!
14 Aug 2014, 22:22
Thanks for the advice @wildmissus and @Winsome. I think that I will order one within the next few days and then, hopefully, actually use it!
48 posts Page 1 of 4