The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 76 of 96
Previous 1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
12 Sep 2014, 16:03
Slimmer wrote: Thank you for your support and, hot off the press, I have turned pink at last!!!
X

@slimmer Blimey you're on a roll now girl :like:
13 Sep 2014, 04:40
Well done Slimmer!
It sounds as though it is working for you, you'll be purple before you know it!
15 Sep 2014, 13:15
*peeks into The Orangery" timidly*

Hi folks,
For the last year or so I have been playing with paleo and trying to lay off the carbs. I really love toast and crispy baguettes though and usually indulge in some once or twice a week. My carbs on MFP are averaging about 250g on eating days.

I think I am finally ready to take the next step into a more fully low carb life. I have a burning tmi question though: how are your bowels :poop: lol! Do you find your transit slower with fasting and low carbs? Do you take anything like physalis husks or soluable fibre like fybogel? I know fatdog mentioned a recepie for her "transit express" (yogurt and chai seeds and spices), so is this an issue with some or you?
15 Sep 2014, 13:28
Welcome @scubachick You are so close to your goal well done that girl :like: I'm two weeks away from my holiday and 1kg
must be dropped before I go :shock:

Join us @Swedey Yes start with small changes for me thus was by stopping the cereal breakfasts all my fee days have now become 16:8 Bread had to go at lunchtime in favour of a salad
Celeriac and turnip/swede have now replaced my potatoes
Courgette spaghetti instead of the boring tasteless "real" stuff
OH I've just decided that's what I'm going to have for tonight's fastday meal with a sauce made with quorn mince, strangely enough I really do prefer courgettes lightly fried in a little butter.
Have a good read around both of you enjoy and let us all know how you're going on, ask away someone will answer. :clover: :clover: Sue

Edit to add:: @scubachick Sorry phone call mid reading I've no problems on that front lol
15 Sep 2014, 16:10
@scubachick Prunes have never let me down when a bit bunged up, I'll eat a dozen and in a few hours all is um, well.
Another good clearer-outer is vitamin C as the body excretes any excess taking everything with it, I've tried about 3000mg in tablets to good effect.
The best thing is to eat veggies, the cellulose/fibre is effective at keeping things going :oops:
:geek:
:wink:
15 Sep 2014, 16:40
I think I must be very lucky as Ive never had bunging up problems. 12 -24 hr turn around. If you get my drift. Plenty of water, salad, veg. Think like a caveman, if you can't kill it pick it or grow it don't eat it. Which includes wine. Just backing out quickly before I get a bottle of husks thrown at me.

Just dreaming of courgettes lightly sautéed in butter. Mmmmmm. Right, off to class then food when I return.
15 Sep 2014, 18:02
I find when I am eating lots of vegetables and salads I am more regular than I used to be.
15 Sep 2014, 18:54
@scubachick - much may depend on how low you go in your carbohydrate intake and the nature of the carbs.

I'd had alternating IBS for much of my adult life until I started modifying some FODMAPs (I can't believe the difference that this made to me, from 9-20 times in 5 hrs to something approaching liveable).

However, keeping the problematic FODMAPs within bounds as well as reducing my overall carbohydrate intake for the migraine management has substantially reduced the volume of food that I eat in a day. In combination with 3 fast days a week, and, yes, there have been times when I've been horribly and protractedly constipated.

I manage with a mix of magnesium, large doses of vitamin C (very occasionally), linseeds/chia seeds, periods where I take psyllium husk etc. But, yes, I think because it's a volume issue for me, it's something that will continue.
15 Sep 2014, 20:00
OK I'm in - I'm usually doing 4:3 with eating windows of between 16:8 and er 24:0 if that exists! Thought I would monitor the carbs now too (have drastically reduced them) - 87g today - a fasting day - is that ok? And what is a FODMAP please?
15 Sep 2014, 20:26
Madcatlady wrote: And what is a FODMAP please?
@Madcatlady
Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and PolyolS (FODMAPs) are short chain carbohydrates (e.g. fructans, galacto-oligosaccharides, polyols, fructose and lactose) that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine. Ingestion of FODMAPs leads to alterations in fluid content and bacterial fermentation in the colon triggering functional gut symptoms in susceptible individuals. Removing FODMAPs from the diet is effective in improving symptoms of people with functional gut disorders like IBS
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/divisions/dns/projects/fodmaps/index.aspx
15 Sep 2014, 21:38
Thanks for all the frank info on your bowels, folks. :like: Its good to know. @Carieoates, like you, I have never really had an issue before. But then I eat too much wholemeal bread, pasta, porridge and fruit, which sweeps me out.
@Ssure, you really do suffer with your innards, from muscle to bowels to migraine. Food is nearly a medicine for you! Thanks for the encouragement on my blog.

I have just spend far too long planning my food for tomorrow! Im at the end if day 1 of low carbing and it was a fast day. I came in at 20g. I had thought that my previous fast days were low, but my carrot munching pushed up those carb grammes. I have planned 40g for tomorrow. It took ages to get 3 meals and 2 snacks withing tdees and under 41g (10% of my tdee). It will take me a little while to get into the swing of it, so until then I will, have to pre plan my menus and track carbs in MFP.

Im looking forward to my breakfast of fried egg and bacon! I will need to do a shop too and stock up on greens, cauliflower, peppers, turkey slices (for wraps), cheeses, berries, eggs and yoghurt.

Feck, I'm starvin now!
15 Sep 2014, 22:43
Hi everyone,
I'm cutting out wheat/gluten for 3 weeks. Just as an experiment of 1. I did this a while ago and although I lost only 0.7 kg in that time, I lost 6 cms here and there but most importantly I feel that my plantar fascitis was virtually healed ( going from very painful and hobbling to not at all in the day and now just hurts a bit on waking). I realised that this WOL has to be sustainable and I don't want to give up all wheat products for life ( when I go to Italy, I want to eat pasta, when I go to Paris, I want to eat a croissant etc) I am enjoying the low carb way of life as the pay off is cooking with fats that I have denied myself my whole adult life- its a revelation in taste and satisfaction :victory: . so I decided I will do a 3 week break from wheat/gluten every 3-4 months as an experiment to see what happens. I'm pretty much doing this because I'm hoping I can get rid if the remaining PF which still hurts a bit when I arise. I'll keep you posted.
@Slimmer, can you explain the fat diet to me and what you eat in a typical day please?
Xxx julianna
15 Sep 2014, 23:45
@Julianna, if you google fat fast you will find various websites which give you ideas on what to eat, fat! It consists of five lots of 200cals of mostly fats. For example, 25g of macadamias, two egg yolks with a tbps of mayo, sugar free jelly with two tbsp of cream etc. I can't see that it would be sustainable for more than three days, but I am considering doing it next swing to try and get myself into ketosis. So if you want to buddy up and do it together??
16 Sep 2014, 06:58
Thanks for your kind answer and offer @Debs It sounds intruiging and a bit scary. Not for me just now as holidays are approaching but thaks for asking. I may try it one day but I have to get my head around it I think.
Xxx Julianna
16 Sep 2014, 15:53
Im being very organised and doing tomorrow's fast dinner. I'm currently making baked aubergine with tomato sauce and grated cheese. It's so nice I can eat a whole one on a fast day and have nothing else at all. Maybe a shake of chilli flakes.

Also preparing cauliflower cheese for the family and roasted chicken thighs in Cajun slices with sautéed courgette thanks to @CandiceMarie reminding me about this lovely buttery low carb treat. Trying not to slice my fingers on the grater. :frown:
Previous 1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 76 of 96