The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 77 of 96
Previous 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
16 Sep 2014, 16:07
@carieoates. Sounds lovely. I baked a couple of aubergines on Sunday to make baba ganoush. However I forgot to prick them and one of them exploded in the oven :lol:

I also made a low carb pizza base made from cauliflower from the www.deliciouslyella.com site. Her timings were completely off and it is better to cook the base properly before adding the pizza topping. However it was rather nice :cool:
16 Sep 2014, 16:24
I've just baked a broccoli loaf recipe that I've been meaning to try for quite some time. Not quite a disaster but I loathe trying to convert US cups (the book is by a US cook who lives in the UK so I'd foolishly assumed that her recipes would be in metric and mass rather than volume) - particularly when it's ingredients such as
2 cups steamed, finely chopped broccoli.

The macros of the loaf may be impressively low carb (<7g carb per slice) but it's heavily broccoli and earthy tasting and nowhere near neutral enough for a general sandwich altho' OK to have with a hearty vegetable soup.

It has to be said tho' that the recipe from the book is different to that given on the author's website (2 cups broccoli in the book and 1/2 cup in the website video) so I'm wondering if that's part of the issue (and may explain why my batter is much thicker tho' that might also be because the book says, 'whey protein powder' as one of the ingredients but the video stipulates 'whey protein isolate' which behaves rather differently).
http://proteinpow.com/2013/04/low-carb- ... otein.html

In the video, but not the book, she says that the recipe would probably be improved by the addition of some herbs. Eh, yes - but why not put that in the book. It could do with a huge injection of complementary flavours and some clarity about whether it's 1/2 cup broccoli or 2 cups. :curse:
16 Sep 2014, 18:05
Julianna, sorry I have only just picked up your email. I used the Atkins fat diet found on thei web site and did it for three days. I found it easy to do and lost at least two pounds a day, and thiught I would put some back on when I wen back to low carbs/Atkins Induction earing. I have stayed the same weight so am delighted.
We have a lot on this week and then are away next weekend, but then I intend to do it again the next week.
16 Sep 2014, 18:25
Well, I have day 2 done, and I have come in at 43g carbs. It has felt like a fast day today and I have been hungry all day, although I have eaten my full tdees in 3 meals and 2 snacks. I was disappointed with the portion sizes, especially of veg. I have also felt the "fasting chill" and been a bit shakey. 3 kids all have a tummy bug, so perhaps I'm coming down with that, but I presume its actually the "low carb flu"? Do I up my carbs a bit? My 43g were total carbs, not net of fiber (a la Atkins).

I think I will give low carbing a week to see if I adjust to it better. If not, then I will have a rethink. Perhaps 1 week a month, but with more mindful carbing for the other weeks.
16 Sep 2014, 20:49
That sounds nice @carieoates, do you pan fry the aubergine slices before you bake them with the sauce and cheese?
17 Sep 2014, 06:00
@Julianna I oven bake the slices with olive oil. Then layer up with either homemade extra veggie tomato sauce or shop bought if I've run out. Sprinkle cheese on top and then bake in oven till done. I have added quorn bolognaise and beef bolognaise on occasion.
@Scubachick you may be fighting this bug, or unfortunately on your way down with it. :frown:
Have some caffeine, it works wonders for me, only usually have a headache when heading into Ketosis. Plenty of hot drinks. I don't usually get hungry tho, so maybe some more nice fat.
Best of luck everyone.
17 Sep 2014, 07:06
@scubachick Maybe not be quite so drastic cutting the carbs at first? I felt AWFUL when I went as low as that but perfectly well and full of energy eating a bit more. And you need to eat more fats to keep your hunger down. It was no fun feeling like it was a real effort to go for a walk though :-(
17 Sep 2014, 08:08
SSure wrote: I've just baked a broccoli loaf recipe that I've been meaning to try for quite some time. Not quite a disaster but I loathe trying to convert US cups (the book is by a US cook who lives in the UK so I'd foolishly assumed that her recipes would be in metric and mass rather than volume) - particularly when it's ingredients such as
2 cups steamed, finely chopped broccoli.

The macros of the loaf may be impressively low carb (<7g carb per slice) but it's heavily broccoli and earthy tasting and nowhere near neutral enough for a general sandwich altho' OK to have with a hearty vegetable soup.

It has to be said tho' that the recipe from the book is different to that given on the author's website (2 cups broccoli in the book and 1/2 cup in the website video) so I'm wondering if that's part of the issue (and may explain why my batter is much thicker tho' that might also be because the book says, 'whey protein powder' as one of the ingredients but the video stipulates 'whey protein isolate' which behaves rather differently).
http://proteinpow.com/2013/04/low-carb- ... otein.html

In the video, but not the book, she says that the recipe would probably be improved by the addition of some herbs. Eh, yes - but why not put that in the book. It could do with a huge injection of complementary flavours and some clarity about whether it's 1/2 cup broccoli or 2 cups. :curse:

Not sure what to make of that - seems alot of protein to me, but I might give it a whirl. Bumping my pumpkin bread recipe for any low carbers who missed it last year 5-2-diet-recipes-f5/low-carb-pumpkin-bread-t9498-30.html. Wondering if I could use broccoli instead of pumpkin and herbs instead of spices...
17 Sep 2014, 08:51
Hope you're OK @scubachick Maybe you've gone a little low with your carb intake its finding a "happy" number that sits well for you personally, I think lots of members aim for 100grams we certainly dont want your feed cats to feel like fastdays, as for the carb flu well ive Never got that in fact its completely the opposite I get a sort of "Carb Low- High" if you know what I mean, I'm a pain to be around always on that high these days. lol
I never count but I also don't worry about the veggie carbs I just cut down drastically on the bad carb intake bread/rice/pasta/potatoes, and breakfast cereal.
:heart: :heart: Sue
18 Sep 2014, 22:12
I'm just dipping my toe into the low carb waters. So today I had cabbage instead of pasta with my spaghetti bol. So far so good. Then felt totally ravenous, and polished off loads of biscuits, something I haven't done for a while. I can fast, but low carbing seems harder... I may try just eating normal (for me) meals, and cut out extra non-fruit carbs. And then go from there, (assuming I get there..).
19 Sep 2014, 00:19
Oh just had a coffee from scratch and brewed via a dripolator (an op shop find, so hands free). I sweetened with coconut oil... so yummy

I have been on a bent lately of packing in as much greens of kale rocket spinach and the cabbage family into my daily salads. Good food for our mitochondria I understand. To make it even more yummy I toss through some good mayo preferably homemade with various herbs like a ranch dressing. So it is like a slaw of broccoli, cabbage red and green, radish and shaved carrot and then tossing through the other softer greens finely shred the kale and shallots. Then the aim is at least eat 6 cups of the stuff in the day

If you are still hungry @scuberchick can you have a tablespoon of coconut oil to stave off that appetite. The carb flu does pass but it is unpleasant

@rawkaren that would have been a bit of a mess to clean up :frown:
20 Sep 2014, 14:56
Just popping my head around the door to post this pic of my low carb pizza made with a cauliflower base (see further up thread).
21 Sep 2014, 10:10
Hi All

Would like to try to eat a bit lower carb so have popped in for some advice. From a quick sort thru of the 77 pages(!) It seems that getting down to 100g a day is a good place to start. Will use MFP to track and see how I go. All tips/advice gratefully received.
21 Sep 2014, 10:24
Welcome @juliewil10 :like:
Yes 100 grams a good start figure then adjust accordingly in either direction.
As for tips and advice I started by reducing the bad white carbs bread, rice, potatoes, pasta ( rarely have breakfast cereals now), further down the line I've replaced most of my potatoes with celeriac + turnip this is a personal choice for me.
:clover: :clover: Good Luck. Sue
21 Sep 2014, 12:49
Hi,@juliewil10

Just an opinion - but the way I cut carbs was gradually - I didn't think I'd ever even get to 150g a day and now I eat a lot less with no problem (70g is what I aim for) but I tried going really low at first and felt DREADFUL. No energy etc and yet on a bit more I feel great. I have cut down on bread/pasta/rice/cereal (well I eat bread once a week and that's it but none of the others now) but I don't really count the carbs in veg (unless potatoes/sweet potatoes etc). I eat LOADS of food - it's just not processed junk. And I eat more fat (which was hard at first as I had fallen for the old 'fat is bad' line). I still have treats, the odd bit of chocolate etc but I am now (like many on here) a lower carb convert. I also think we're all different so what works for one may not work for another so just experiment and see how you do. Good luck!
Previous 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 77 of 96